U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 09:55 PM

153 posts, read 186,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
They should add more intersections!
Honestly, the most dangerous intersection in Greenville is the one at Hastings Ford. Why didn't they put a camera up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 10:40 AM

378 posts, read 252,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
Honestly, the most dangerous intersection in Greenville is the one at Hastings Ford. Why didn't they put a camera up there?
Because It could be possible to convert that existing intersection to an interchange i think (In my opinion This is not real). Greenville needs interchanges.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,153 times
Default greek

more fraternity/sorority (greek life) houses near the W 5th street , Elizabeth Street intersection? could make a nice community

Old 01-15-2018, 06:44 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,344 times
More info on the Knee Deep/Town Commons issue:

Quote:
The city of Greenville’s decision seek bids from rental services to provide kayaks, canoes and other water sport equipment at the Town Common is forcing a 10th Street operation to change its operations, at least temporarily.

The city’s Recreation and Parks Department is seeking bids from services to provide on-site rentals when the city completes its ADA accessible launch at the Town Common boat ramp.

The department also has ordered all companies involved with rental services at the Town Common to immediately cease operations while the bid process goes forward. The order will help the city meet its legal obligation to avoid the appearance of favoritism, Recreation and Parks Director Gary Fenton said.

The order means that Knee Deep Adventures may not rent Kayaks at the Town Common or drop them there for customers until a bid is awarded, although customers may rent at the 10th Street location not far from the common and transport the boats there themselves.

Kelsey Curtis, owner and operator of Knee Deep, said she was unaware of the cease and desist order until Thursday, when she received a call from a worried friend who read an article in The Daily Reflector. Hours later, she said, she received a letter from the city.

Curtis said the order will hurting her business. Most of her customers prefer to start their paddles at Town Common and finish at Port Terminal Road. The closest drop off point upstream besides the Town Common is in Falkland, 15 miles north of Port Terminal.

Fenton said the process — from receiving bids to contracting a company should be complete within a few weeks — or by March 31 at the latest. He said the department tried to enact the process during a time it would not affect businesses as heavily.

The order only affects commercial businesses like Knee Deep, and does not affect personal and recreational use, Fenton said. He said residents could rent from commercial businesses for use at Town Common during this time, so long as the company does not deliver to the park.

The ultimate goal Fenton said, is for a company like Knee Deep to be able to set up shop on the Town Common on weather-appropriate days. He said having a company on site with equipment ready would be a valuable asset for the park, and something the department has been considering for a long time.

Prior to the cease operations order, Knee Deep could use the ramp at the park, but it was not allowed to exchange money or otherwise participate in commerce at the location. Customers had to go to the company’s shop on Tenth Street.

Curtis said while a contract with the city to operate at the park would be beneficial, she is worried about the cost.

“I feel like I’m kind of pushed into a corner with all of this; I’m down to two options,” Curtis said. “I can either compete and try to win that bid, and if I do win, I’ll be allowed down there at Town Common, but the city will have a say in what I’m doing, and I would imagine they would want some kind of cut out of what I’m making down there.

“Option two, if I don’t win the bid, or I decide to not accept the bid if I do win it, then I’m never going to be able to use Town Common again,” Curtis said. “I feel like I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place on this.”

She said she wished that she had more notice the bidding process would occur, and more information about what kind of contract the city has in mind. Additionally, she said she was concerned about the city blocking access to a central entryway to the river for other commercial and recreational users.

“Greenville has forever been talking about how we want to use the river more, and it’s kind of seeming right now that the opposite thing is happening, that the river is going to be even harder to access,” she said. “We had a very small amount of access points, and now we’re going to lose another one and that’s just going to create more challenges.”

Fenton said the department has not decided whether services that don’t contract with the city would be barred using the Town Common. He said the city may contract with multiple services.

Curtis said all she can really hope for is either the contracts offered by the city are compatible with her business model, or that the city will make the decision to allow her and others to continue operating as they have been. She said she has received multiple offers from other cities to let her run her business on their waterways, and has started wondering if she should accept those opportunities.

”I’m just a little leery of how things could turn out if I were to accept a bid,” she said. “I have no idea what that looks like right now, and I wish I did have some kind of information to go on. “Then I could say ‘OK, I’m going to proceed with this bid,’ or I could just stop fighting right now.

“If we could win the bid, and still have the same freedoms that we do right now to operate, that would be great,” Curtis said.
I get that the city wants their own thing. But as long as no money is exchanged on public property, Knee deep should be allowed to drop off these kayakers at the Town Commons.

If I was Knee Deep, I would continue as normal but park right on the other side of 1st street directly across from and let kayakers walk their kayaks down. Maybe discount rates by a couple of bucks for an "inconvenience discount".

Or try to get with a riverfront property owner near the town commons to allow the company to drop kayakers on their property. Just looking at maps, maybe the old 3rd street school property owners would be willing to do it for a monthly rental fee.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:18 AM

181 posts, read 214,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
More info on the Knee Deep/Town Commons issue:

I get that the city wants their own thing. But as long as no money is exchanged on public property, Knee deep should be allowed to drop off these kayakers at the Town Commons.

If I was Knee Deep, I would continue as normal but park right on the other side of 1st street directly across from and let kayakers walk their kayaks down. Maybe discount rates by a couple of bucks for an "inconvenience discount".

Or try to get with a riverfront property owner near the town commons to allow the company to drop kayakers on their property. Just looking at maps, maybe the old 3rd street school property owners would be willing to do it for a monthly rental fee.
I agree. I'm honestly not sure I understand what the city is even trying to accomplish here. It's scary to say the least that they can just decide to make your business in a certain area illegal all of a sudden. This is a perfect example of a situation where the market should decide. I for one do not want to see tax dollars wasted on
1. limiting a fair and responsible business
2. playing favorites in business
3. supporting and paying for a business beyond the demand there is for that business

I foresee a lot of waste to pay to run a business (cough cough golf course) that the market itself can provide if the demand is there. If it isn't we shouldn't be subsidizing it by force. When the government can start playing favorites that is when corruption in government flourishes. I'm very disappointed with the council on this.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:52 PM

14 posts, read 17,093 times
A Wing Stop is going in on Firetower Rd next to Baskin Robins.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:33 AM

112 posts, read 102,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate25 View Post
A Wing Stop is going in on Firetower Rd next to Baskin Robins.
Nice! I noticed they started playing a lot of ads here. I was wondering if wed end up getting one.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:58 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
In terms of timelines and the projects underway...

The Theater is supposed to be done by late April, 2018 per the agreement with CommunitySmith and the City.

The GTAC is supposed to be done by summer 2018.

The two housing projects flanking the Police/Fire Bldg downtown as well as the College View replacement housing project on E 10th St are supposed to be done by Fall 2018

The Student Center on 10th St is supposed to be done by late October, 2018.

The 10th St Connector is supposed to be done by July 2019.

The housing complex across from the Student Center is supposed to be done by Fall 2019.
To add to this. The Southside of Dowdy Ficklen Stadium is scheduled to be completed by July 2019

And Uptown 209, the renovation of 209 E 5th St by ECU, scheduled to start in April 2018 and be finished in Feb, 2019.

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-admin/bot/uplo...9-11-10-17.pdf

And Greene Hall at ECU is scheduled for renovations starting in Sept 2018 and completed in August 2019

Last edited by HP91; 01-16-2018 at 01:09 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 04:14 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,040,411 times
ECU chancellor getting 8,400 sq. ft. off-campus home

Located in Star Hill Farms, away from campus...

Old 01-16-2018, 04:54 PM

1,070 posts, read 984,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
ECU chancellor getting 8,400 sq. ft. off-campus home

Located in Star Hill Farms, away from campus...
And Staton drives another nail in the casket lid in the name of his own personal ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina