U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-22-2018, 04:28 AM
 
137 posts, read 140,847 times
Reputation: 76

Advertisements

No hotel would locate within the Imperial site at this time. It's possible one might come to the Arts & Entertainment district along Tenth street at some point in the future. In my opinion, it's economics and nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2018, 06:39 AM
 
293 posts, read 270,724 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
The only conceptual plan that shows a three-story office building is the Hallmark plan. The other two just use the DFI concept plan that shows a four-story building. However, concept plans are not final plans, so the number of stories for the office building could be different once the final renderings are released. Also, in development, you have to start somewhere. There needs to be a catalyst to bring additional development and possibly larger buildings. You have to start somewhere. Build some momentum. Hopefully, the development along the Dickinson corridor will bring additional development to downtown and the surrounding area. Maybe future development on First Street across from the Town Common will be bigger and better.
You may not know this, but does/would the proximity of the airport restrict the height of buildings in the uptown area in anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 07:02 AM
 
2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
No hotel would locate within the Imperial site at this time. It's possible one might come to the Arts & Entertainment district along Tenth street at some point in the future. In my opinion, it's economics and nothing else.
Keep in mind you have a Historic Tobacco Warehouse district along 10th St that will limit your options AND the Hotel would have the build its own parking (which makes it more costly).

If the Hotel could take advantage of a City owned parking deck on the Imperial site AND the city was offering incentives for a hotel to locate there, with the development schedule outlined previously, you could have a hotel on the area closest to Dickinson Ave of that site by late 2020, which is on the early end of this site being developed anyway. As someone else mentioned the Imperial site is big enough to develop in phases anyway. The site plans proposed all had surface parking lots, which is just ridiculous for real downtown development being fostered by the City (especially when you consider the bus station will be next door). A shared parking deck for a hotel, office building and local patrons is a no-brainer and can be financed by the City unless a particular hotel chain is trying to have a monopoly on the downtown area, which we saw in Wilmington with their Convention Center hotel, when a lawsuit delayed a new hotel for years (Its an Embassy Suites). In that case it was also the Hilton chain, that BTW is tied to the City's existing convention center and now, to ECU's Alumni center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
1,070 posts, read 984,299 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
You may not know this, but does/would the proximity of the airport restrict the height of buildings in the uptown area in anyway?
In the past Ive heard it does, but at the same time the dorms are 10 stories and dont have a beacon on top. Even if they were grandfathered Id think theyd at least need a beacon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 AM
 
1,672 posts, read 2,040,411 times
Reputation: 1074
I'm not sure a hotel owner would want to build right next to RR tracks. That empty lot next to the bankruptcy CH would be a better location. There's enough room for a hotel with its own garage that can also be used by the public - for a fee of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 09:50 AM
 
36 posts, read 27,632 times
Reputation: 27
I hope whatever happens to the Imperial Tobacco Site that they work with the metal sculpture artist. Currently, there is a "zoo" of his work along Dickinson/Atlantic. It really is a hidden gem of Greenville and a huge asset to Greenville trying to make this an "Arts" district. These plans would likely (certainly?) develop that land and would hate for the "zoo" to disappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 10:30 AM
 
3,285 posts, read 5,434,497 times
Reputation: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshSchaef View Post
I hope whatever happens to the Imperial Tobacco Site that they work with the metal sculpture artist. Currently, there is a "zoo" of his work along Dickinson/Atlantic. It really is a hidden gem of Greenville and a huge asset to Greenville trying to make this an "Arts" district. These plans would likely (certainly?) develop that land and would hate for the "zoo" to disappear.
I’m not much of a fan of that “zoo”, maybe because the land it sits on isn’t manicured at all. There’s one rusty bench, facing Dickinson, that is chained to a tree, sign, or something along those lines. Plus, this artist largely has a monopoly on art in Uptown, with his pieces found everywhere, and I don’t think it’s entirely fair to permit him to have the “zoo” to himself. He does mostly horses and pigs, there has to be other artists involved to give it that flare otherwise it’s just much of the same we already see in Uptown. That all said, I do agree it could be a gem if properly executed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
1,070 posts, read 984,299 times
Reputation: 591
I personally think those things are hideous. Yeah, they take talent to make but that doesn’t mean they’re pretty.
They’d be passable with a sheet of sandpaper and some Rustoleum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 10:54 AM
 
3,285 posts, read 5,434,497 times
Reputation: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I personally think those things are hideous. Yeah, they take talent to make but that doesn’t mean they’re pretty.
They’d be passable with a sheet of sandpaper and some Rustoleum.
I tried to avoid criticizing them for what they are, but again, I just think they’re too repetitive and we our need artists to offer more variety in their work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 12:30 PM
 
36 posts, read 27,632 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I’m not much of a fan of that “zoo”, maybe because the land it sits on isn’t manicured at all. There’s one rusty bench, facing Dickinson, that is chained to a tree, sign, or something along those lines. Plus, this artist largely has a monopoly on art in Uptown, with his pieces found everywhere, and I don’t think it’s entirely fair to permit him to have the “zoo” to himself. He does mostly horses and pigs, there has to be other artists involved to give it that flare otherwise it’s just much of the same we already see in Uptown. That all said, I do agree it could be a gem if properly executed.
I think they are nice, and there's nothing really else in the area in terms of art. I agree that there is essentially no sitting area and grass could be maintained more regularly. There's a lot more than just pigs and horses, though.

I do agree with your points on monopolization. There should be more art, from more artists, throughout uptown. Thinking about it more, if the artist would like to maintain the zoo, he could try and find a private lot elsewhere. I'm not sure if he has an agreement with the city or is leasing that land - I have a feeling he just puts them there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top