U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 12:39 AM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,764 times

Advertisements

I agree with everyone on the renovation of Greenville Mall. I honestly wish they would re-configure the main entrance into something a tad more "extravaggent". They could put a Dicks sporting goods in the old Steve & Berry's space (more feasible), and just do a complete renovation to that wing. I would like to see Hibbet Relocated outside the mall.
I would like to shut down radioshack, and put a Holister there. Claire's is in a very prime location in the mall so I would move it to another location (I don't know where though), and put a starbucks express there. I wish they would consolidate both the belk locations together and tear one of them down for a parking garage (which is very necassiry for the mall). They need to renovate the JC Penny Wing (from American Eagle & down). Just make the mall appear more modern. The old "Wacky Tacky Bear Space" should be a luxury space, if they just could kickout the nail salon, & the store beside it.

Our mall would be flat out excellent if they just invest a few million in it, & make incentive packages to lure new retailers to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 03:01 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,041,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post

I wish Brody (or someone) would buy the Greenville Mall. IIRC, one of the posters posted something about the mall is going to not renew their lease after it runs out in November. Not to rehash it, but that mall is in such a prominent place. It really needs a HUGE upgrade in tenants. Plus that would keep a lot of people (and their money) IN Greenville.
I wrote a good bit about the Greenville Mall and the reason that it languishes back in January. http://www.city-data.com/forum/17566064-post632.html You're just going to have to give the new owners some time to find decent tenants. The economy is also still in the hole and that hole is getting deeper by the day. It is super tough to find any retailer that wants to expand at this time.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:23 AM

It's impossible to tell who owns the mall now. They're supposed to make annual filings with the NC Department Of Secretary Of State, but they haven't filed one since 2009. The owner listed on OPIS is still Marelda Greenville Mall LLC but the address has changed to a Atlanta GA address. That particular address is also listed as lawyers offices so it undoubtedly is just a shell corporation.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I wish they would consolidate both the belk locations together and tear one of them down for a parking garage (which is very necassiry for the mall).
There's not much chance that the mall owners can force Belk to go anywhere. Belk owns the building and the property that they're on. Pitt County parcel number 47380.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:31 AM

I also ran across this today. After 40 years of building shopping centers and malls like there's no tomorrow, the market for that has completely dried up. I wouldn't look for anything to be built behind Fresh Market anytime soon. The Japanese had the same thing happen to them back in the early 90's and they were just now getting back to a normal growth rate.

Chart courtesy of The Business Insider and CoStar.

Here's Japan's version of a mall collapse.

Chart courtesy of The Business Insider and Asterisk Realty

Old 06-09-2011, 12:03 PM

451 posts, read 1,687,895 times
The above information makes sense and in general I agree. However, there are particular markets that are still under-served with quality retail. Building boom places, however, probably will not see the mass construction that was prevalent in 2000's for a long time.

I still think Greenville has the potential for further retail growth, particularly the "right" type of development. Like other posters have stated, many people in the area drive to Raleigh to shop...that shouldn't be the case.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:15 AM

The new Walmart is "oh so close" to getting started. They are still negotiating over the placement of a traffic light on NC 33. Will it be 100 feet this way or 100 feet that way? They could resolve this any day now.

The Daily Reflector

Old 06-13-2011, 06:40 AM

5,417 posts, read 5,401,245 times
Cheddars Rest. in front of Fresh Market opens today.

We would really love to see BJ's open up in Greenville/Winterville. Sams Club really needs the competition. We went to Raleigh the other day to shop in BJ's and saved a ton of money buying things we use that are up to double the price on the same items in Sam's Club. The problem of course, are the gas prices, we certainly can't afford to travel there on a weekly basis.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:59 PM

208 posts, read 325,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The new Walmart is "oh so close" to getting started. They are still negotiating over the placement of a traffic light on NC 33. Will it be 100 feet this way or 100 feet that way? They could resolve this any day now.

The Daily Reflector
I hope to see construction soon. Aren't there still homes on the land though?

Old 06-14-2011, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabackmjjd View Post
I hope to see construction soon. Aren't there still homes on the land though?
If there are then they're empty.

As I said yesterday, an agreement could come any day. That day was yesterday. The State and the developer have come to an agreement and construction may start soon.

The Daily Reflector
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina