U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 06:41 PM

1,070 posts, read 983,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
Any thoughts on the ECU/Limebike program thus far? I've seen data from the first two weeks, but I'm curious how the non-bike world views it.
People are really inconsiderate as to where they leave them. Not just here. Earlier this week I saw two of them parked in the middle of a sidewalk in Raleigh.

Here we have had people leaving them in random places in parking lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 07:35 PM

378 posts, read 252,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
From the article:

Does anyone else think Allen Road should be extended north to W 5th St, from its current terminus at MacGregor Downs?

Currently people coming from South Greenville have to clog up Stantonsburg if they want to get to the hospital. An extension would keep people off that road and funnel them to 5th St.
Yes, I think. 2 lane divided, with bike lanes and sidewalks. It would help people get home without having to use Stantonsburg or Arlington.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:00 PM

163 posts, read 114,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
People are really inconsiderate as to where they leave them. Not just here. Earlier this week I saw two of them parked in the middle of a sidewalk in Raleigh.

Here we have had people leaving them in random places in parking lots.
I've seen them parked in students' driveways and sidewalks, but not blocking so much as in the sidewalk. I've seen the limebike van driving around picking up bikes, so the team is working hard. Hopefully this pushes the city to upfit sidewalks and build more bike racks.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:29 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,019 times
Second year of expected losses prompt officials to examine airport economic model - Daily Reflector

Quote:
Concerns over the Pitt-Greenville Airport’s financial viability have officials looking for other revenue sources.

At the end of fiscal year 2017, the airport reported a operating loss of about $84,000. According to Betty Stansbury, executive director for the facility, the deficit could have been much higher.

The total included a one-time payment of $150,000 for special services, which lessened what could have been a $234,000 deficit, she said.

At the March meeting of the Pitt-Greenville Airport Authority, Stansbury reported that it is unlikely the financial picture will be much brighter this year.

“I’m going to do everything I can to get us to break even,” she said. “I won’t know until I see the end of March. The best would be for us to break even; (the) worst case for us will be about the same as last year.”

The annual budget for the airport is $2.89 million. According Stansbury, year-to-date losses for the airport at the end of February were $123,929. The airport’s current cash balance is $3,632,943.

Eric Clark, chairman of the airport authority’s board, said weather had a significant effect on operating expenses this year, especially the heavy snowfall that closed the airport for multiple days in January.

Greenville Mayor P.J. Connelly, who attended the meeting, asked airport board members what strategies they had in place to increase the airport’s financial viability. Board members said they were working to add commercial services and also find other sources of revenue.

Last week, Clark and Vice Chairman John Banks attended a national conference for airports and airlines, characterized as a kind of ‘speed-dating’ for airlines to pitch themselves. Currently, only American Airlines operates commercially out of the airport.

Clark reported that the conference went well, but it did not look as though it would produce any immediate results. He said they learned more about what the airlines were looking for, including a larger marketing budget for the airport.

Connelly asked if the airlines were concerned with any financial difficulties the airport might be having. Clark and Banks said airlines were mostly concerned with whether or not there was a market in the community, since there is little capital investment involved in locating to or leaving an airport.

Connelly said the airport needed to look beyond the commercial model.

“If it’s that easy for them to up and leave, they could be gone in a heartbeat,” He said. “So how does the airport continue to operate on a financial basis?”

Banks agreed.

“I heard this more than once at the conference, you better have hangars and people out using the airport and don’t depend on American Airlines,” he said.

Clark also agreed, saying the commercial air service model offers a convenience to local residents and the business community, not profitability.

“We’re never going to make a lot of money on commercial air service,” he said. “it will be a long time before we have the volume to see that as our revenue source.”

Board members’ ideas for more revenue included partnering with Vidant Medical and its EastCare helicopter service and building more hangars — something the airport has focused on for years. Banks also suggested that creating a partnership with East Carolina University or Pitt Community College for an avionics or aircraft mechanics program could be viable.

Connelly said the first step should be identifying these goals and creating a long-range strategy and action plan to achieve them

“You really have to have a long-range plan, when you get ideas like that. You start implementing those plans as time goes on,” he said. “For me, looking at the numbers, the biggest thing that I’m concerned about is the financial viability of the airport.”

The facility can only operate at a loss for so long, he said.

The board agreed and Clark suggested a meeting be set up between the board and city and county officials to hear from the airport’s consultant, so all the partners could be on the same page about the facility’s needs.

“Bringing them in so you and everyone in the community hears it and understand it I think will be good for the community as a whole to help determine and shape the business plan for the airport long term,” he said.
Not great to hear. It does seem that trying to do something with the Kinston airport would be a good idea. But after looking at the GTP airport website, it doesn't even look like they offer commercial service either. The only airport in the area that seems to be viable is the one in New Bern. That's the only one with two airlines. Could they even combine all 3 airports into a more centralized location?

-------------

But there is some good news...

Quote:
Starting early next month, passengers flying in and out of Greenville’s airport can expect a comfier, more convenient and far more reliable experience.

American Airlines, Pitt-Greenville Airport’s only commercial provider, announced this week that all flights starting on April 3 and beyond will be serviced by jet, instead of of the prop planes, according to Betty Stansbury, the airport’s executive director.

Stansbury said the switch to jets has been a long-awaited change by airport officials, and they hope the news will encourage area residents who had negative experiences with the prop planes to return to the airport.

The new aircraft are Canadair Regional Jets. Eric Clark, chairman of the Pitt-Greenville Airport Authority, said the planes have the same number of seats as the current Bombardier Dash-8 prop planes, but offer a much smoother and comfortable experience. He said more importantly to customers, the jets are far more reliable.

"The jets are, first of all, more reliable than the aircraft we have right now so we expect cancellations and delays to be less frequent,” Clark said. “They're not terrible right now, but if you’re the one on the (plane) that gets delayed, then you have a different opinion of that. If it happens to you again, and you’re coming back in on the last flight in at night and it gets delayed at Charlotte, you have a very different view.”

According to the American Airlines website, some flights out of the airport are cancelled 26 percent of the time. The airport has four flights per day. Specifically, the 7 a.m. flight is currently cancelled 24 percent of the time, and late 40 percent of the time. The 10:50 a.m. flight is canceled 26 percent of the time, and late 26 percent of the time. The afternoon flights have a slightly higher reliability, with the 3:30 p.m. flight having a 17 percent cancellation rate and running late 20 percent of the time. The last flight of the day only has a 5 percent cancellation rate.

Stansbury said the reliability issues of the prop planes may have made some residents less likely to use the airport because of a fear of making their connecting flights on time. She said residents will notice significantly higher reliability once the jets take over service. In addition to this, she said, the jets may also create a more traditional airport feeling.

“You can load (passengers) on a jet bridge, versus having to walk outside in the rain,” she said. “They’re just a little bit more convenient, they’re quieter, a little roomier. But for us, the reliability is the big part.”

The airport does not decide whether the jet bridges are used. Stansbury said American Airlines will have to make that decision when the time comes.

Clark said the jets are also considerably less loud and often offer a lower fear factor for less-than-frequent flyers.

American Airlines formerly flew jets to PGV, but in June made the switch to prop planes because they saw a greater need for their regional jets elsewhere, according to Clark.

He said now that the jets are returning, maintaining a steady stream of business should ensure the the aircraft stick around.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:32 PM

293 posts, read 270,638 times
Perhaps with the completion of the SW bypass and I-42 the idea of a working with the Kinston airport could be visited(revisited)? It is a large runway and could become a quality regional airport. It likely requires commercial growth in the transpark and cooperation with Greenville and likely New Bern so odds are not in the ideas favor, yet. New Bern probably turns a profit and would have no motivation to consider such a move. However, with interstate access from Greenville and New Bern a larger regional airport in kinston may be a longer term boon to all involved. I imagine American might like the idea of combining service in one location rather than NB and GV?

Old 03-26-2018, 07:56 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,037 times
The ENC region is a tough one in terms of airports because its road system is so inadequate between towns. If Greenville shut down, how do you get to New Bern? New Bern is the best site because of its proximity to the Coast and Military installations. And there is not much population east of Greenville that uses air service....until you get to the Outer Banks.

Kinston is a non starter, IMO because it is too far from the Coast and military installations, which both result in consistent air travel. Its runway/airport was not set up for commercial traffic, it was built for cargo. Which again was hindered by the inadequate road system in ENC.

There is no answer for Greenville except to run a small market airport as efficiently as possible. Its goal should be to find a low cost carrier, which would appeal to the students in the market, looking for flights to Florida and such. Or bill itself as a viable way to get to the Outer Banks via Hwy 64 from Northeast locations. With the constant confusion between Greenville SC and Greenville NC, I would rebrand it to the East Carolina/Outer Banks Regional Airport. Guarantee the travel numbers would increase.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Perhaps with the completion of the SW bypass and I-42 the idea of a working with the Kinston airport could be visited(revisited)? It is a large runway and could become a quality regional airport. It likely requires commercial growth in the transpark and cooperation with Greenville and likely New Bern so odds are not in the ideas favor, yet. New Bern probably turns a profit and would have no motivation to consider such a move. However, with interstate access from Greenville and New Bern a larger regional airport in kinston may be a longer term boon to all involved. I imagine American might like the idea of combining service in one location rather than NB and GV?
I think this type of scenario is on the mind of Allen Thomas as he tries to boost the GTP. The Kinston airport is a logical choice, being 40 minutes from both New Bern & Greenville and 50 from Jacksonville. With the improvements to roads in the next decade, there will pretty much be a non-stop route between Greenville & this airport. PGV floods and they have to spend millions to fix it. They could sell it and it could be turned into a park or amphitheater or something else. The main building didn't flood the last major flood, I don't believe. Just a portion of the runway. So I believe that building could serve some use.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:01 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,268 times
Nice article & video on the new Still Life rooftop addition...

Stilllife rooftop to open in early April | Arts & Entertainment | theeastcarolinian.com

Old 03-26-2018, 01:23 PM

378 posts, read 252,893 times
Will Greenville get taller buildings and expand downtown in the future? Like I say expand it past Pitt St.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The ENC region is a tough one in terms of airports because its road system is so inadequate between towns. If Greenville shut down, how do you get to New Bern? New Bern is the best site because of its proximity to the Coast and Military installations. And there is not much population east of Greenville that uses air service....until you get to the Outer Banks.

Kinston is a non starter, IMO because it is too far from the Coast and military installations, which both result in consistent air travel. Its runway/airport was not set up for commercial traffic, it was built for cargo. Which again was hindered by the inadequate road system in ENC.

There is no answer for Greenville except to run a small market airport as efficiently as possible. Its goal should be to find a low cost carrier, which would appeal to the students in the market, looking for flights to Florida and such. Or bill itself as a viable way to get to the Outer Banks via Hwy 64 from Northeast locations. With the constant confusion between Greenville SC and Greenville NC, I would rebrand it to the East Carolina/Outer Banks Regional Airport. Guarantee the travel numbers would increase.

I think that certainly will be a tough sell. Norfolk is the closest airport to the outer banks by an hour. They have a lot more flight options. Raleigh is an extra 40 minutes to OBX compared to Greenville, but the prices to get to RDU are much cheaper with places like Southwest and Allegiant and Frontier compared to Greenville. Even the outer banks main website makes no mention of the PGV airport when talking about how to get there by air.

Kinston's airport did have commercial service for several years. I'm sure it could handle Greenville's routes and a second airline if PGV closes. Allegiant would probably be the only option, but they only fly a couple times a week out of Raleigh, I can't imagine they'd fly more than that from Greenville.

Ideally, having a central regional airport in Kinston could be the answer. It could serve Greenville, Goldsboro, Kinston, New Bern (if closed), Wilson, and maybe even Jacksonville(if closed). I would imagine there could be state/federal money to help expand the commercial aspect of the airport to make it more viable. Will it happen? Probably not. Greenville will ride American until they leave. Unless some really small regional airline comes calling, I don't see them getting another airline. It just seems like PGV's days are numbered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
Will Greenville get taller buildings and expand downtown in the future? Like I say expand it past Pitt St.
Yes. I'm sure more is coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina