U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 12:55 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,184,042 times

Advertisements

That's wild they have survived and thrived this long. I went to their opening night celebration many years ago and laughed when they tried to charge $5 for a beer. Seems they've really turned it around and being a good stakeholder of uptown.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 03:48 PM

163 posts, read 114,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
That's wild they have survived and thrived this long. I went to their opening night celebration many years ago and laughed when they tried to charge $5 for a beer. Seems they've really turned it around and being a good stakeholder of uptown.
The new 25+ Loft is nice. I'm happy Sharif and Trevor had the vision to extend the club beyond trashy college nightclub.

I had the opportunity to get up there and see the place early and my wife and I are looking forward to going often during the summer.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:24 PM

1,070 posts, read 984,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I remember them being around when I was in college and I graduated in 2007. So many bars and restaurants down there have come and gone. Iím glad to see one staying around and expanding.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:09 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,035,683 times
Southwest Bypass work drives planning process - Daily Reflector

Old 04-09-2018, 05:16 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,035,683 times
County board to discuss Wells Fargo accounts - Daily Reflector

Old 04-09-2018, 11:27 AM

36 posts, read 27,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
Opens Monday - looks like there's something of a soft open tonight. Very excited about this place and the Dickinson/Pitt corner period.
I recently ate at the Roanoke, VA location, which is a very similarly sized space to the Dickinson ave building. I'm sure it'll do well in the Dickinson Ave area. Simple, good, and reasonably priced menu.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:02 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,344 times
Town Common restroom facilities approved, to be open in July - Daily Reflector

Quote:
After multiple years of research and debate, restrooms on the Town Common are scheduled to become a reality by midsummer.

On Monday night, the Greenville City Council unanimously approved a $422,400 contract with Unshakable Builders LLC to build the facility.

The restrooms will be located just west of the inclusive playground on the east side of the park. Gary Fenton, director of the Recreation and Parks department, presented the contract. He said the facility will include six stalls each for men and women and multiple sinks.

Fenton said the restrooms will be heated and available during park hours throughout the year. They will be secured by magnetic locks set on a timer.

When council members expressed concerns about residents being locked in, Fenton assured them that the locks allow people to exit the restrooms.

“When I came to Greenville a decade ago, I was impressed that we had a riverside park in the central city,” Fenton said. “But I was also surprised to learn that this place that so many people considered our ‘central park’ was without a public restroom and had been that way for over 30 years. We’ve wanted to change that ever since and we’re finally going to do that.”

The vote comes almost a year and a half after the council approved designs for the facility and other Town Common improvements as part of its master plan to update the 25-acre park between First Street and the Tar River, adjacent to the city’s downtown area.

In November 2016, council members approved a design for the facility by Rhodeside & Harwell Inc., a landscape architecture firm in Alexandria, Va. hired by the city to develop plans for the park.

Delays since then mostly have been related to the overall cost of the project and multiple failed attempts by the city to receive a bid within the range council approved.

On Monday night, council members said that although the price tag associated with the project was larger than anyone would like, it was necessary for the park and long overdue.

District 5 Councilman Will Litchfield said the price of the project was high, but the growing popularity of the greenway and isolation from any public alternatives make the facility a must-have for the park.

“I think at first glance there can be some sticker-shock by looking at the price of this,” he said. “I have experienced the lack of restroom facilities down there personally and witnessed how many people are utilizing the Town Common and the greenway right there. So with all the development downtown and all the events happening down there, we have to have facilities for the citizens and people using the Town Common.”

Following his comments, he motioned for approval of the project, which was later seconded by District 1 Councilwoman Kandie Smith.

Litchfield noted that the city has gone through three different bid processes and tried various techniques to lower the costs of the project.

In January 2017, city planner Lamarco Morrison presented preliminary cost estimates for several projects related to the Town Common Master plan, including the bathroom facility and the Sycamore Hill memorial to honor the neighborhood that once stood on the park. Costs were estimated at $2 million for the memorial and about $500,000 for the bathroom facility.

In September, the city hired BW Architecture for architectural services related to the restroom facilities. In February, three bids were received by the city, and all three were rejected, because the lowest bidder was unresponsive and the other two exceeded project costs.

Staff met with design firms to discuss a value management plan in an effort to reduce costs. In early March 2017, a redesign was put out for bids that split the restroom building and site work into separate packages in hopes of increasing the number of prospective bidders.

Three bids were received March 22, two for the restroom and one for site work, but after consideration all three were once again rejected. In conversations following the rejection of the bids, staff discovered that splitting the work made the project less profitable and desirable to contractors, according to agenda documents.

On March 27, the city put the project out to bid again after combining the redesign into a single package. On April 3, three more bids were recieved and the city selected a $440,000 bid from Unshakable Builders. Further negotiations with the company lowered the cost to the proposed $422,400, including $120,000 in site work and $302,400 for the building.

Now approved, Fenton said the facilities will take roughly 90 days to complete after a notice to proceed is given to contractor. He said construction is expected to complete near the end of July.

Fenton said construction should not affect access to the park or nearby boat launch.

Also on Monday night:

• Council heard a presentation from city staff about increasing some city fees to more adequately balance the city’s share of certain expenses, including fire safety inspection, parking and parks fees.
• Council was presented proposals from city to reduce some vegetation requirements for expanding commercial businesses, including removing any requirement for areas of impervious surfaces.
• Council was presented a preliminary overview of the 2018-19 fiscal budget, which includes funding for several council initiatives, including a small business loan, road clean up and street lighting.
Amazing that this has never happened in the past 20+ years. About dang time. They'll eventually need another set on the other side of the park as well.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:55 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,416 times
Great news about the restroom facility at the Town Commons. I can't tell you the number of times we get out there with our kids & 100% chance of.."I have to go to the bathroom". So you walk them over to the porta-potties and try to not touch anything if possible (if they are even available). I have seen kids just peeing in the woods near the river before.

This was a much needed addition to the Town Commons & it looks like they were actually able to save a little money after all the lost time.

Next step I am really looking forward to is relocating the Amphitheater. The one out there certainly works, but it's ugly and will be better once re-done & re-positioned. Uptown is really looking up.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:04 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,344 times
Preserving agricultural feel a priority for people at bypass workshop - Daily Reflector

Quote:
WINTERVILLE — “Grass and trees — that’s it — grass and trees.”

“Cows — lots of cows — and Shetland ponies.”

“FARMING ONLY!”

Theses were a few of the visions people shared on Monday during a workshop on a pending land-use plan for the area surrounding the new Southwest Bypass.

Organizers said about 60 people turned out during the first two hours of the three-hour event, held at Pitt Community College.

Pitt County government, along with Greenville, Ayden, Winterville, the Greenville Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization and the North Carolina Department of Transportation are developing the plan with the assistance of Stewart, an engineering, design and planning firm with offices in Raleigh, Durham and Charlotte.

The bypass is expected to open the summer of 2020. The land-use plan will center on five interchanges along the bypass route starting at Statonsburg Road to the north and continuing south to U.S. 13/Dickinson Avenue Extended, Forlines Road, N.C. 102 and N.C. 11 south of Ayden.

The proposed land-use area extends from the bypass interchange with Statonsburg Road to just south of its interchange with N.C. 11 South.

It’s eastern boundary falls along N.C. 11 South and its western boundary is along Ballard’s Crossroads and Rountree Road.

Maintaining the agricultural feel of the area is important, many people said.

“We farm and we want to see the agriculture nature maintained. This is how all three of us make our living,” said Donna Williams, who attended with her son, Worth, and brother, Mike Worthington. The family grows farm tobacco, corn and soybeans in the area. If the area is opened to development, they expect to see families selling farmland, especially families whose adult children aren’t farming.

They also wanted to know about a plan to extend Fire Tower Road to Forlines Road, where one of the five interchanges for the bypass are located. No one had any details.

“Anything that heads west we’re interested in because we live west,” Worthington said.

Mike Skinner, who co-owns Strawberries on 903, has lived in the Renston Historic District since 1983.

“I would like to see as much of it stay in its original agricultural setting,” Skinner said. “I want something that in 30, 50 years, when my grandchildren ride through the area, they’ll recognize it.”

As more families leave farming, Skinner said he knows they think selling to developers is the best use of their land. But most landowners in the Renston area are committed to preserving their land, he said.

“I think with proper planning they can do it in a conservative way. They need to listen to what people in the community are saying,” Skinner said. “I know when we get near the municipalities they’ll feel different.”

Winterville Town Councilwoman Veronica W. Roberson said she wants to preserve her town’s ability to grow.

One land-use map had areas next to Winterville marked as conservation spaces, she said.

“Green spaces are important, but I don’t want to limit growth by devoting too much land to it,” Roberson said.

She also wanted assures that no highway access is built along the road and that the interchanges remain the only entrances and exits.

“I don’t want to build a bypass and it become like N.C. 11,” she said. “It was supposed to be a bypass, now look at it.”

Jim Bryant questioned how much development was possible because large swaths of land aren’t suitable for septic tanks.

His wife Zennie, her sister, Madge Thompson, and their brother-in-law, Joe Nelson, already have lost property to the actual bypass. They want as little development as possible.

Landon Weaver, acquisitions and development manager for Bill Clark Homes, said water and sewer services should be extended to the area, allowing for denser, cluster-type subdivisions.

“It leaves more open spaces in communities,” Weaver said. The county has a lot of conservation areas that have remained intact and cluster-type development can preserve those areas, he said.

However, Weaver said more industry, jobs and utilities are needed to support that development.

Marty and Laura Corbett live on Rountree Road. She doesn’t mind housing developments, but she wants neighborhoods with uniquely designed houses on large lots. She said she hopes any future plans address safety issues the intersections of Reedy Branch and Davenport Farm roads, Davenport Farm and Frog Level and Thomas Langston and Davenport roads.

Stewart, the consulting firm, had multiple stations set up. Representatives gave participants stickers to place on displays illustrating different types of commercial and residential development.

They also presented four categories of development. Rural preservation would encourage modest development focused around the interchanges. The “New Horizons” scenario would include more industrial development. Mixed used and traditional neighborhood development would be used to create “gateways” into the towns. Conservations areas would be set up along Swift Creek.

The “Plans/Trends” scenario assumes development patterns traditional to bypasses; commercial and industrial growth along interchanges with residential neighborhoods — mainly reliant on well water and septic tanks — being widespread.

The “Business As Usual” scenario would not change existing zoning rules.

A second public input session will be held in June, said Eric Gooby, Pitt County senior planner. The final plan should be finished in late June.
All I can say is "Good Luck" to people wanting it to remain cows & farms & trees. No way it will remain the same 30 years from now. I feel like this corridor is going to explode with development within a decade of the road opening.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:42 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
I think that corridor has an interesting opportunity. If the public plans it right, they can have exactly what they want...which sounds like protection of land for agricultural uses.

BUT, they cant have it both ways. You cant say we want fields and cows BUT no regulation. Regulation is exactly what they want. No strip centers, no malls, no housing development, no mobile home parks. No ability to profit off of their land in non-agricultural ways.

I bet the tune changes when its put that way.

FWIW, corridor zoning could be created to limit development to the existing roads and protect agriculture at the same time. The best interchanges for development should be the Hospital area (264) interchange and the Business 264 interchange. Create Nodes there for regional development. Protect the other interchanges for agricultural uses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina