U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2018, 07:01 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,359,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Only problem for me is that the first concert is 2 and 1/2 weeks away and this is the first I think anyone has ever heard of it. I'm surprised Uptown Greenville has not sent any news out about this at all.

Looks like it's a 107.9 event so they may be running promos on their station.

https://www.1079wnct.com/concert-on-the-commons

Either way, it is a good thing that people are finally using the Town Commons and holding events this summer.
Hmm...Wednesday nights?

Just my opinion, but downtown Greenville has had a tradition of being busy on Thursday nights. College students love that night to go out because their week is almost up. Thirsty Thursday is a thing. Wednesday seems random and forced (not the best night to go out and have a drink) but I hope it works.

The best reason to do Wednesdays would be if the new Theater is planning on doing shows Thursday through Sunday. Then Wednesday fills in the gaps. But I have a feeling that the Theater will do a show here or there on a Mon, Tues or Wed because of the best dates for the act coming through. That was a constant with the Attic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 07:03 AM

4,632 posts, read 3,041,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Only problem for me is that the first concert is 2 and 1/2 weeks away and this is the first I think anyone has ever heard of it. I'm surprised Uptown Greenville has not sent any news out about this at all.
I was a bit surprised too. The Embers had to have been booked months in advance. When my dad was working at the local grocery store in Fremont, one of the band members, Gerald Davis, came in the store one day in the early 2000ís and talked with him for a few minutes. That year, the Embers didnít play at Fremontís Daffodil Festival like they always do, so my dad asked why. Davis told him that one of the festival coordinators didnít book them in time and had attempted to book them sometime during the last few weeks leading up to the festival. Since the Embers are required to be booked months ahead of time, they told the town that it was too late and that they had another gig elsewhere.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:09 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,573 times
Well, I didn't realize this is a Wednesday night thing or that it was a monthly thing...I thought it was an every Friday night event, which sounded great. I guess this is still a start in the right direction...but they really need to advertise because if I didn't hear about it on the radio I would have no clue.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:41 AM

1,069 posts, read 984,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Hmm...Wednesday nights?

Just my opinion, but downtown Greenville has had a tradition of being busy on Thursday nights. College students love that night to go out because their week is almost up. Thirsty Thursday is a thing. Wednesday seems random and forced (not the best night to go out and have a drink) but I hope it works.
This isn't a college student thing. College student entertainment and everybody else entertainment needs to be separate or we end up with how downtown has been the past 30 years.

Mix 101.5 used to put on something like this called Alive After 5 (IIRC it too was Wednesday nights) and it was mainly for adults and families.

Last edited by GarnetAndBlack; 04-20-2018 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Spelling correction

Old 04-20-2018, 09:28 AM

109 posts, read 104,061 times
As was said previously, this isn't for college kids. Greenville has to develop an entertainment environment independent of ECU or young professionals will never come back.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:06 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,359,858 times
I completely understand its not supposed to be for college kids. But I recall that college kids would pack the Attic for Chairman of the Board and other Beach music.

It also doesnt exclude college kids, which many of which live within walking distance to the Town Common. And as I said Thursday's would be a better night, for both college kids and young professionals. Wednesdays are almost more of a retirement crowd to be honest. Maybe that was their intent.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:57 AM

36 posts, read 27,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I completely understand its not supposed to be for college kids. But I recall that college kids would pack the Attic for Chairman of the Board and other Beach music.

It also doesnt exclude college kids, which many of which live within walking distance to the Town Common. And as I said Thursday's would be a better night, for both college kids and young professionals. Wednesdays are almost more of a retirement crowd to be honest. Maybe that was their intent.
I'm happy this event is happening and I agree that Thursday (or Friday) would be better. Thursday-Saturday early evenings are very busy in Uptown among the "adult" crowd. This event is early enough in the evening to avoid the main college crowd.

Regardless, I hope it is well attended. Not a good sign when this forum doesn't even hear about it until a couple weeks out.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:03 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,643 times
Well this MAY work with the Umbrella Market on Wednesdays...That thing has really grown during the summers.

But this is clearly going for an older crowd that loves beach music & they threw in bouncy houses that just happen to have kids.

What really needs to happen is for the city to establish an actual place uptown to have these small concerts, festivals, and gatherings. 5 points parking lot is a good spot, but ultimately, I think it would work great as either a dedicated "gathering" spot or a parking deck/mixed use building. It does not need to be a parking lot.

The TC can be too large for a small/medium sized event, although the area of the TC with the new bathroom will supposedly feature some sort of plaza. That may be an option.

Last edited by michealbond; 04-20-2018 at 01:03 PM..

Old 04-20-2018, 08:43 PM

293 posts, read 270,854 times
I would add that North Hills has been doing late spring/early summer beach music on Wednesdays for some time now and they have good to great crowds every week. Now context is clearly different with Raleigh being much larger, but its about culture. They need to advertise the thing and commit to doing it. I would also add that the north hills crowd is typically 25-55, truly a mixed bag though probably leans 25-35 I would guess.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:17 AM

4,632 posts, read 3,041,226 times
Seeing green: City considers LimeBike expansion - Daily Reflector
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina