U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 06:19 AM

293 posts, read 270,854 times

Advertisements

While the time, effort and money put into the theater has been plentiful for its size I think its salvaging a piece of history that the city often lacks. I also think that the university will be building a larger performing arts venue at some point Uptown or at least it was talked about at some point. I still have hope the one day a new arena will be built in the Up Town area for ECU basketball while also serving as a large act/event venue. Regardless I think we will eventually have large/larger venues to accommodate all types of acts for the district so the size of this theater is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 08:49 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,359,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
While the time, effort and money put into the theater has been plentiful for its size I think its salvaging a piece of history that the city often lacks. I also think that the university will be building a larger performing arts venue at some point Uptown or at least it was talked about at some point. I still have hope the one day a new arena will be built in the Up Town area for ECU basketball while also serving as a large act/event venue. Regardless I think we will eventually have large/larger venues to accommodate all types of acts for the district so the size of this theater is fine.
See slide 46 of the ECU Master Plan for a look at the Performing Arts project (someone else may have a better look but I havent seen it)...

http://www.ecu.edu/masterplan_docs/d...anworkbook.pdf

The Hilton hotel plan obviously differs from the Master Plan, but it seems that with a Performing Arts Center and the growth in downtown that multiple hotels and the conference center along the Town Common could be needed. I envision the Hilton Garden that has been proposed on 4th and Reade and a higher end Hilton chain (maybe Embassy Suites) on the TC with a conference center.

This is why the City should be partnering with say the Marriott chain to build a hotel as part of the Imperial redevelopment and close to the Millennial Campus. Different hotels at different places of downtown that serve different functions.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:43 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,643 times
Great find HP.

I agree, the city should be trying very hard to locate a hotel in the Dickinson Ave. area. Marriott has a bunch of different brands that could serve different areas of downtown for sure. I'd say try to find a slightly upscale, budget-friendly hotel like a Springhill Suites or Sheraton 4 points to pursue in that area.

In my opinion, ECU doesn't necessarily need a new arena. A renovated Minges could serve ECU and the city well. Plenty of examples of 50+ year old arenas being renovated that looks amazing . The city could send some money to help with renovations and enter to an even deeper partnership with ECU to bring in events. Unless the city & ECU decide to do a huge mega complex on 1st street together that includes a performing arts center, an arena, and indoor convention/sport space, it may not be worth building a new arena downtown.

Other than ECU basketball possibly improving greatly over the next decade, there's no need to spend the millions involved in a 10,000-15,000 seat arena. The concerts & events that Greenville will be able to draw in an indoor arena wouldn't be more than 6-7,000 people attending, even over the next decade of growth. Minges can handle that over the next decade, and it already includes adequate parking.

If the city wants to put something downtown, I've said plenty of times that they should pursue an outdoor multi-purpose stadium. Coastal Plains league is calling. That Fayetteville team is more than likely going away next year. They've added larger cities like Macon & Savannah in their most recent expansion. The days of small towns like Forest City and Edenton getting a team are probably over. High Point has broken ground on a new 5k seat stadium that is supposed to be ready for their 2019 debut in an independent baseball league, so a 2-3k seat stadium in Greenville could happen within a year.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:05 PM

181 posts, read 214,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Great pics!

I have been a little bit against this whole theater renovation. I thought that a demo and rebuild would be a much better option with all the money they've spent.Looking at the picture makes the space seem so very small. Not sure if more than 100 people would be able to fit inside. Personally leaves me with a "meh" feeling.

I'm sure it will be nice once completed, but I worry if the Lincoln theater will only bring smaller acts in because of capacity issues. I"ll just be glad when all of this is finally done. It's been several years in the making now. Looks like a late summer/early fall opening to me.
I feel the same way. The arts as a whole tend to struggle unless they are truly exceptional and in an area where the demographic is able to support it, which Greenville may or may not be. I'm happy the city sold it and, as far as I understand, are not financially bound to it. However, I'd be suprised if the company is able to turn a profit. I wouldn't be suprised if they end up trying to get the city to bail them out at some point. I'm sure the only reason they took the risk is because the city gave them a great deal. Hopefully I am wrong and it becomes a well establish private company that improves the quality of life in the area by offer more arts to Greenville. Time will tell.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Great find HP.

I agree, the city should be trying very hard to locate a hotel in the Dickinson Ave. area. Marriott has a bunch of different brands that could serve different areas of downtown for sure. I'd say try to find a slightly upscale, budget-friendly hotel like a Springhill Suites or Sheraton 4 points to pursue in that area.

In my opinion, ECU doesn't necessarily need a new arena. A renovated Minges could serve ECU and the city well. Plenty of examples of 50+ year old arenas being renovated that looks amazing . The city could send some money to help with renovations and enter to an even deeper partnership with ECU to bring in events. Unless the city & ECU decide to do a huge mega complex on 1st street together that includes a performing arts center, an arena, and indoor convention/sport space, it may not be worth building a new arena downtown.

Other than ECU basketball possibly improving greatly over the next decade, there's no need to spend the millions involved in a 10,000-15,000 seat arena. The concerts & events that Greenville will be able to draw in an indoor arena wouldn't be more than 6-7,000 people attending, even over the next decade of growth. Minges can handle that over the next decade, and it already includes adequate parking.

If the city wants to put something downtown, I've said plenty of times that they should pursue an outdoor multi-purpose stadium. Coastal Plains league is calling. That Fayetteville team is more than likely going away next year. They've added larger cities like Macon & Savannah in their most recent expansion. The days of small towns like Forest City and Edenton getting a team are probably over. High Point has broken ground on a new 5k seat stadium that is supposed to be ready for their 2019 debut in an independent baseball league, so a 2-3k seat stadium in Greenville could happen within a year.
I agree 110% with a stadium UpTown for a coastal plains league team, I think it would do very well.

Regarding upfitting Minges vs a new area I would be interested to see the financials on it. I would imagine new construction vs reno-ing Minges wouldn't be much different. You're spending millions on Minges. I'd advocate for something like NCSU has done with PNC and later renovated Reynolds for women's basketball, wrestling and other sports. Granted PNC has a pro hockey team a tenant, but the city isn't getting much access to Minges, there just isn't enough time between everything that happens there, so I would doubt ECU or the city would be interested in such an arrangement. A shared venue Uptown that host just men's hoops would have plenty of schedule open for the city to use. Its probably pie-in-the sky anyway (unless the powerball ever comes in for yours truly).

Old 04-26-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I agree 110% with a stadium UpTown for a coastal plains league team, I think it would do very well.

Regarding upfitting Minges vs a new area I would be interested to see the financials on it. I would imagine new construction vs reno-ing Minges wouldn't be much different. You're spending millions on Minges. I'd advocate for something like NCSU has done with PNC and later renovated Reynolds for women's basketball, wrestling and other sports. Granted PNC has a pro hockey team a tenant, but the city isn't getting much access to Minges, there just isn't enough time between everything that happens there, so I would doubt ECU or the city would be interested in such an arrangement. A shared venue Uptown that host just men's hoops would have plenty of schedule open for the city to use. Its probably pie-in-the sky anyway (unless the powerball ever comes in for yours truly).
Well Reynolds cost 35 million to renovate. I highly doubt you'd be able to build a brand new 8,000-10,000 seat arena for less than 60-70 million. University of Central Florida in Orlando built a 10k arena in 2007 for a little over 100 million.

I think the city could get more access if they decided to chip in some money for upgrades. Minges has the parking already and is pretty easy to access as it's in a central location in Greenville. It would be nice to have a brand new arena downtown, but with ECU's athletic budget issues, I don't think you'd see a brand new place. Not even with some money from the city.

As far as a baseball stadium, you could use the Holly Springs model. They built a 1800 seat stadium for about 5.5 million dollars. I"m sure a 2,000 seat stadium with room to expand would be had for 6-7 million.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:56 AM

163 posts, read 115,388 times
Quote:
Great find HP.

Would love a hotel right on the corner of Reade & Dickinson, Evans & (Reade through 10th), or on the current Copymatic site uptown.

I loved going to the Morehead City CPBL games when I lived down at the coast. Have to believe our city government won't build a stadium for an amateur summer league though.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:04 AM

Driveway paved at Arlington Shoppes - Daily Reflector

Quote:
Crews on Thursday repaved a pothole-riddled driveway that has challenged drivers entering a popular commercial hub along East Arlington Boulevard.

Beasley’s Way is the unmarked entrance between Arlington Shoppes, which houses Cubbie’s, Steinbeck’s and the Spa at Merle Norman and Arlington Enterprises, the building that houses Crystal Connection.

The heavily used driveway also provides access to retailers in Arlington Village, Buffalo Wild Wings, Staples, Michael’s and other businesses located in buildings owned by BrodyCo., a real estate management and development company.

Using the entrance had challenged drivers in recent years because deep potholes littered the pavement near Arlington Boulevard. Crews on Thursday laid new asphalt thanks to owners of nearby businesses: Cubbies, Steinbeck’s and the Spa at Merle Norman and the Arlington Enterprises building.

Owners had placed temporary fixes in the past but more permanent work was delayed because it was unclear who was responsible for the driveway — several entities own portions of what is commonly known as Arlington Village — and whether the city had a roll.

After sorting out who owned the property earlier this year, the owners selected Absolute Pavement Service of Tarboro for the project, which was completed in a day.

-------------

PGV Airport construction ongoing, impact on flights remains a possibility - Daily Reflector

Quote:
Reconstruction on one of the runways at Pitt-Greenville Airport is underway for the next month, and will shut down all flights for one week in early May.

Betty Stansbury, the airport’s executive director, said construction on the $10 million project began on Monday and will continue until May 23. She said runways usually last about 20 years, but more stable weather conditions in eastern North Carolina allowed for the runway to last 27 years before repaving was necessary.

Funding for the project was largely provided by the Federal Aviation Administration, which has allocated about $9 million. The remaining $1 million is being funded by a $377,000 grant from the North Carolina Department of Transportation Aviation Division and $634,000 from the airport’s reserves.

While the repaving of the larger 7,175-foot runway is taking place, the airport’s secondary 5,000-foot runway will remain open. However, during the week of May 9-13, work on the intersection of the two runways will shut down all flights.

Stansbury said when the airport approached American Airlines last year about the project, American officials said landing on the shorter runway would not be a problem unless it was in the summer, when hotter air was less dense and offered less resistance for stopping a plane. She said the airport scheduled the project for mid-April because temperatures must stay above 45 degrees during the paving process.

Construction on the runway is being completed by Trader Construction out of New Bern, who subcontracted local firm ST Wooten. Over the course of the one-month construction process, crews are working around the clock with clearance for 24/​7 work. Stansbury said recently crews have been working about 18 hours a day to mill and repave the runway.

She said runway construction is complicated and not entirely like repaving roadways. She said the asphalt is specially mixed to be resistant to the impact of planes landing on it, with slits running through it for maximum drainage. Once complete, the runway is expected to last until 2038 or longer.

It is unclear if the construction will have any effect on flights, with some officials warning that weight restrictions may have to be enforced in some conditions due to the shorter size of the secondary runway.

Stansbury said the decision to enforce restrictions would be due to a large variety of factors that are considered by the airline. The airport does not have any say in the decision. She said that different types of regional jets each have different braking distances and rain can increase the needed distance.

Additionally, she said the skill of the pilot available, whether the pilot is certified for short runways and even the air temperature can affect the airline’s decision on weight requirements.

American Airlines maintains that the construction will not have any effect on passengers.

Ross Feinstein, a spokesperson for the airline, said the only day American had an operational restriction was on Tuesday, and that was because the runway was wet.

Other weight restrictions are not expected, but if restrictions were to occur the airline would work with passengers, he said.

“American Airlines does not anticipate any impact for our customers departing and/​or arriving Pitt-Greenville Airport,” Feinstein said. “If a flight was weight restricted, our airport team would work directly with our customers.”

Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Well Reynolds cost 35 million to renovate. I highly doubt you'd be able to build a brand new 8,000-10,000 seat arena for less than 60-70 million. University of Central Florida in Orlando built a 10k arena in 2007 for a little over 100 million.

I think the city could get more access if they decided to chip in some money for upgrades. Minges has the parking already and is pretty easy to access as it's in a central location in Greenville. It would be nice to have a brand new arena downtown, but with ECU's athletic budget issues, I don't think you'd see a brand new place. Not even with some money from the city.

As far as a baseball stadium, you could use the Holly Springs model. They built a 1800 seat stadium for about 5.5 million dollars. I"m sure a 2,000 seat stadium with room to expand would be had for 6-7 million.
Agreed, its likely out of reach for ECU at the moment. They need a better TV contract and the state to remove the institutional support restrictions on athletics.

Related note, what is the cities bond status? Are we able to issue an Uptown development bond? for things like a sports complex (baseball/event stadium) and other street improvements or whatever we deem necessary?

Old 04-27-2018, 12:13 PM

378 posts, read 253,034 times
Greenville and Farmville have been repaving their roads like crazy. I love it! 264 should be 4 lanes to Greenville and the major intersection at Arlington and Greenville Blvd will need to be upgraded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina