U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 02:42 PM

36 posts, read 27,616 times

Advertisements

The old Courtside Cafe at 300 Evans St in Uptown is officially undergoing renovations. Big sheets of white paper line the front windows and say something along the lines of "Molly's, Coming Soon". Various hand drawings on paper suggest it may be another cafe.

I've been hoping something would take over the building and happy to finally see some real progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 08:23 PM

163 posts, read 114,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
I get the impression the "traffic" he is talking about has to do with construction and utility vehicles not an increase in general traffic. In fact, he's already made complaints in the past that the city's construction has essentially ruined his business because they have reduced, not only traffic but overall accessibility to his business. He also had a bit of a tiff when the bike racks he installed for businesses were removed for being on the sidewalks I think. It wouldn't surprise me that he made some enemies.
So I'm friends with Alvin, and this is pretty close to correct. At one point he was an island of business in a sea of construction equipment and dirt. He certainly hasn't made friends in the PWD with some of his antics, though I do think it'd be a stretch for Mulligan and Co. to retaliate on him (I've been in their presence when they were cracking jokes about his first bike rack attempts).

The thing that keeps getting me with Pedals and Pistons is this--he doesn't own the land. He can make tenant improvements to it, but it's got to be a foregone conclusion that the owner is going to sell/develop once the Dickinson Ave. street improvements are done and/or the Imperial site gets underway.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:08 AM

4,624 posts, read 3,032,686 times
Greenville hosts second annual Comic Con weekend - Daily Reflector

http://www.reflector.com/News/2018/0...n-deficit.html

Old 07-26-2018, 07:19 PM

1,070 posts, read 983,453 times
I realize an airport is probably a necessity for a city the size of Greenville but I think the proximity and ease of access to RDU has doomed the airport from having success. There is not really much of a reason to fly out of here unless your company is footing the bill (or money is no object).

Old 07-26-2018, 08:08 PM

163 posts, read 114,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I realize an airport is probably a necessity for a city the size of Greenville but I think the proximity and ease of access to RDU has doomed the airport from having success. There is not really much of a reason to fly out of here unless your company is footing the bill (or money is no object).
My company footed the bill and I still flew from Raleigh because it was cheaper to rent a car and drive and RDU offered better timing on flights in and out (travel a lot on short notice). PGV's in a rough spot.

I wonder what its performance is like relative to a Gainesville, FL-type airport (similar in distance to Jacksonville International and not in a great location itself).

Old 07-27-2018, 07:55 AM

223 posts, read 204,001 times
Quote:
I doubt that proxmity has anything to do with it. Look at Fayetteville, it's an hour away from RDU yet it's doing good. PTI is doing good despite it only being a little over and hour away from RDU. I think the 3 biggest problems with PGV is that:

1 lack of other flights. There should be no reason why this airport can't take you to a place like Richmond or DC. Charlotte can't be this airport's only destination, it limits flight times

2. Military. I don't think we speak on this enough on this. Fayetteville has Bragg and Pope, Ellis has Lejune, and New Bern has Cherry Point. Greenville has no military traffic so that hurts them a lot as well.

3. Threat of GTP. If GTP can get commercial flights back in Kinston then there will be no point of the PGV. It already has better runways than PGV and in a few years will have better access to the airport via roads. It will be more attractive to airline to go to Kinston rather than Greenville. Heck if they can put up for a bus, I can see Seymor Johnson using that airport to bring their military personal back on base.

At this point I feel it's only a matter of time before PGV closes for good.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:46 AM

Road closure and parking modification expected this week - Daily Reflector

Old 07-31-2018, 05:10 PM

6 posts, read 4,124 times
any one know what been build across from speedway in simspon

Old 08-01-2018, 04:52 AM

Culvert project moves toward downtown; Third Street to reopen - Daily Reflector

Old 08-01-2018, 09:45 AM

181 posts, read 185,062 times
Quote:

Would love to get a regional carrier to PGV...you're right about RDU. Even though American pretty much only routes departures from RDU to its hubs with a few exceptions, it still makes the Greenville hopper to and from Charlotte unnecessary.

PGV could actually become a diamond in the rough if they're able to lure a smaller carrier in. It's a nice airport for what it is (emphasis on the last part).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina