U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 06:57 PM

137 posts, read 140,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
According to this reflector article

Board approves permit for 804-bed student complex - Daily Reflector

The apartments should be finished by 2020. I'd assume they'll start within the next couple of months
You can't put much stock in those early projected schedules. More times than not projects start later than projected. Sometimes a project will even get canceled, but I'm not saying that's what will happen with this project, even though you have to wonder how much the market can bear for more expensive student housing.

The project I'm more concerned about is the student services facility at Fourth and Reade. The schedule for that project had it starting August 6th and I believe most of the hoops had been jumped through as of the April 19th BOT meeting. However, in an article in the Daily Reflector on June 25th that reviewed campus construction projects, the student services facility was not included. It would be interesting to know what the status of this project is and what caused the holdup. If anyone knows, please chime in.

Last edited by GoingLocal; 08-28-2018 at 08:11 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 07:19 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
You can't put much stock in those early projected schedules. More times than not projects start later than projected. Sometimes a project will even get canceled, but I'm not saying that's what will happen with this project, even though you have to wonder how much the market can bear for more expensive student housing.

The project I'm more concerned about is the student services facility at Fourth and Reade. The schedule for that project had it starting August 6th and I believe most of the hoops had been jumped through as of the April 19th BOT meeting. However, in an article in the Daily Reflector on June 25th that reviewed campus construction projects, the student services facility was not included. It would be interesting to know what the status of this project is and what caused the holdup. If anyone knows, please chime in.
I don't know specifics about either project but I can say this...

Construction projects in general, across the board, are behind schedule because of the amount of work going on right now and the amount of available contractor crews. We are seeing the issues at the Theater as well as the Student Center with their delays. Its not that the effort isn't there, its just available crews.

In regards to the student housing, THREE new complexes opened in August, one new one is scheduled for summer 2019 and then the 800 bed one at 14th is scheduled for summer 2020. Not sure about the schedule for the one on Charles Blvd...but there is no reason the market cant bear it. There is over 20K students (more like 30K with PCC) that need housing...and some of this (College Acres/14th St) is some replacement housing.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:16 AM

82 posts, read 98,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post

It's probably due to the Town Creek Culvert Project. Not only is it delaying construction but plans will probably have to be redrawn due to new stormwater drainage system. Not to mention the budget cuts ECU received this past year.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:16 AM

293 posts, read 270,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
According to this reflector article

Board approves permit for 804-bed student complex - Daily Reflector

The apartments should be finished by 2020. I'd assume they'll start within the next couple of months
Similarly, wasn't there another large complex approved off of Evans. Adjacent to the greenway near the intersection with Arlington?

Old 08-29-2018, 01:30 PM

839 posts, read 1,039,416 times
Nice shot of the continuing Uptown changes:

Old 08-29-2018, 03:16 PM

163 posts, read 114,831 times
I'm salivating over what will go in across from the Dickinson Lofts--it's been storage for construction, but that's a prime lot. Some developer has to be eyeing it. Taft/Overton/Edwards, sending up the bat signal.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:00 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,344 times
Just for comparison's sake, got this off google maps. Amazing how far it's come in a couple of years.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:38 PM

293 posts, read 270,724 times
Are there plans to connect Bonners or Alley St? Right now the railroad tracks sever that area and potentially hurt continued development in that direction... There are swaths of land off of Albemarle and Pamlico that could be developed and even back down Albemarle to 5th street... Hopefully we'll get news on the Imperial site this year and I know they're working on city parking in the area so hopefully that spurs better connectedness in that area.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:18 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Nice shot of the continuing Uptown changes:

Greene Hall is currently under renovation, so that pic will change by next summer. And the One Stop building on 4th St should have significant progress as well.

Plus the Dickinson streetscape project is supposed to begin soon.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:35 AM

1,070 posts, read 984,299 times
So is East Carolina abandoning gold as a primary school color? The website only has two small buttons at the bottom in gold and the buses are being redone one by one in all purple paint with just the new logo in white. No gold to be seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina