Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 07:25 AM

455 posts, read 527,157 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in thoughts from this board on the following comments regarding UpTown. This was posted by bluewaterpirate who is the parent of Bianca (who heads the UpTown organization).

"My daughter is the director of UpTown Greenville she spends a great deal of time trying to bring business to the downtown ares it's a difficult sell. The first question I can ask is why not cater to the older Greenville crowd downtown living has a lot to offer but it seems that most of developers local ones especially view the students as the motherload. Parking is the number 1 issue along with the river front area. If that area could be developed in a tasteful wsy while perserving the green space it would be a win win situation for all. But the way we was crowd will never agree to it. The other real issue is ECU owns a lot of the downtown area so without state funding to develop it it does nothing but gather dust. Greenville is at a crossroads when it comes to the uptown area." https://247sports.com/college/east-c...cts-121154902/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 08:20 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
He has also made comments on Pirate Radio 1250 postgame call-in shows that reference himself as Bianca's father. I always wonder how she feels about it. I'd hate it if I was her, lol.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:57 AM

3,080 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I'm interested in thoughts from this board on the following comments regarding UpTown. This was posted by bluewaterpirate who is the parent of Bianca (who heads the UpTown organization).

"My daughter is the director of UpTown Greenville she spends a great deal of time trying to bring business to the downtown ares it's a difficult sell. The first question I can ask is why not cater to the older Greenville crowd downtown living has a lot to offer but it seems that most of developers local ones especially view the students as the motherload. Parking is the number 1 issue along with the river front area. If that area could be developed in a tasteful wsy while perserving the green space it would be a win win situation for all. But the way we was crowd will never agree to it. The other real issue is ECU owns a lot of the downtown area so without state funding to develop it it does nothing but gather dust. Greenville is at a crossroads when it comes to the uptown area." https://247sports.com/college/east-c...cts-121154902/
Who is the way we was crowd? I'd like to know actual names, especially if they are elected officials.

And what is the way we was? A downtown for 40K people? A downtown before there were malls? A Riverfront that had slum and blight housing conditions prior to 60's urban renewal?

Bianca is a great spokesperson for downtown Greenville and she is doing it right...cater to the younger crowd...the older crowd, IMO are the problem. They refuse to go downtown as a whole, they refuse to walk on the sidewalks, all they want is parking adjacent to a storefront and have it be free.

Keep building for the younger crowd. They spend money downtown...always have. They are just getting nicer stuff. They are the ones opening the small businesses, fixing up old buildings. And keep attracting money from outside Greenville. The "way we was" crowd just doesn't like losing "control" of THEIR city. Whatever. Greenville is a beacon for the East and will continue to be and move forward ahead of all other cities, along with Wilmington. It is a college town and will continue to be, even with its growth in industry, commercial, medical and residential. The older folks are missing out.

As for ECU, its time to build something. Proposals for Alumni Centers, One Stop Buildings, new Performing Arts Centers, Hotels...and all we have are parking lots. Plans are in place, and nothing gets built. Time to start questioning those in charge.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:18 AM

217 posts, read 235,775 times
Bianca's doing an incredible job with Uptown. Bringing businesses in has nothing to do with the age and everything to do with the number. More people living uptown, regardless of age, will bring in more business. Globe Pharmacy sign went up on the old Bradshaw's storefront today--that's there because there are 1000+ more people living downtown now than there were six months ago. Sounds like someone who just thinks millennials are the problem. Love superficial thinking/solutions :eyeroll:

Agreed on ECU. Build a single parking garage one one of the surface lots and convert the rest. I'm sure state budget cuts don't help matters, but they move slow as dirt.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:13 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...fic-shift.aspx

Quote:
Work on the Greenville Southwest Bypass will require a major traffic shift starting at 7 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 4. Drivers on both lanes of U.S. 13/U.S. 264 Alternate will be shifted to the north between west of the Davenport Farm Road intersection and east of the Mabrey Lane intersection.

The shift is needed so crews can safely work on two bridges over U.S. 13/U.S. 264 Alternate. The new traffic pattern is expected to be in place through October

Drivers are urged to pay extra attention and slow down as they approach the shift location and get used to the new traffic pattern.

The bypass is a four-lane, 12.6-mile freeway going between two miles south of Ayden on N.C. 11, wrapping around the west side of Ayden and Winterville and ending at the U.S. 264 Bypass west of Greenville. Intended to relieve congestion and improve safety on other roadways in Greenville, particularly on Memorial Drive (N.C. 11) and Stantonsburg Road (U.S. 264 Business), the new highway should open in 2020.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:21 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Rucker John's shuttered their doors today with a sudden announcement of the end of their ten years of operations.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:20 PM

144 posts, read 189,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
You can't put much stock in those early projected schedules. More times than not projects start later than projected. Sometimes a project will even get canceled, but I'm not saying that's what will happen with this project, even though you have to wonder how much the market can bear for more expensive student housing.

The project I'm more concerned about is the student services facility at Fourth and Reade. The schedule for that project had it starting August 6th and I believe most of the hoops had been jumped through as of the April 19th BOT meeting. However, in an article in the Daily Reflector on June 25th that reviewed campus construction projects, the student services facility was not included. It would be interesting to know what the status of this project is and what caused the holdup. If anyone knows, please chime in.
Evidently, construction of the Student Services Facility that was scheduled to start in August is being held up for some reason, even though it was a go as late as April 19th. In the BOT documents for their meeting that starts Thursday, there is a capital projects update that does not include it. It would be nice to know why? Any local reporter out there interested in looking into this?

Old 09-04-2018, 09:35 PM

The Daily Reflector and its associated regional newspapers have been sold to a company called Adams Publishing, which from a quick Google looks to be a good operation. I really doubt it can get worse than how the Cookes have treated that paper. Hopefully new ownership will breathe new life into it.

Adams Publishing purchases Cooke Communications - Daily Reflector

Old 09-05-2018, 08:21 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
The Daily Reflector and its associated regional newspapers have been sold to a company called Adams Publishing, which from a quick Google looks to be a good operation. I really doubt it can get worse than how the Cookes have treated that paper. Hopefully new ownership will breathe new life into it.

Adams Publishing purchases Cooke Communications - Daily Reflector
I was just about to post this. I’m not aware of internal operations at the Reflector, but from an outsider looking in, things need to be revamped. Their website is outdated and they completely dropped the ball in respect to investigative journalism (think the Greenville Fire Department scandal). What’s funny was the other day I was going to write up here to ask what the likelihood of The Reflector moving their HQ to Uptown; albeit I’m sure their financial situation doesn’t permit it, having those employees Uptown would be awesome.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:38 AM

It was uptown. They moved out to industrial park in the late 90s.

The ECU building called the Cotanche Building - across from the liquor store - is the old Daily Reflector building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina