U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 11:38 AM

1,070 posts, read 984,299 times

Advertisements

City Council approves multiple rezoning requests - Daily Reflector

“Unanimous approved an agreement with ShotSpotter, a company whose use of computerized sensors will allow Greenville police to pinpoint the location of gunshots before someone calls to report the sound.
The program’s three-year cost is about $615,000 and the city will share the cost with East Carolina University, Vidant Foundation, Greenville Housing Authority and Pitt County Sheriff’s Office.
Greenville Police Chief Mark Holtzman said the program, which he said will combat gun violence, will launch in early 2019.”

Not the best look for Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 12:14 PM

223 posts, read 204,158 times
I wasn't aware that Greenville had that much gun violence

Old 10-13-2018, 02:02 AM

4,631 posts, read 3,038,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
I wasn't aware that Greenville had that much gun violence
Gangs are a big issue in eastern NC. 3 other cities east of I-95 are already using ShotSpotter: Goldsboro, Rocky Mount, and Wilmington.

Goldsboro set theirs up in gang-ridden neighborhoods about a year ago where most of the shootings happen and I believe Rocky Mount and Wilmington did as well. Sounds like Greenville plans to do the same.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:48 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
City Council approves multiple rezoning requests - Daily Reflector

“Unanimous approved an agreement with ShotSpotter, a company whose use of computerized sensors will allow Greenville police to pinpoint the location of gunshots before someone calls to report the sound.
The program’s three-year cost is about $615,000 and the city will share the cost with East Carolina University, Vidant Foundation, Greenville Housing Authority and Pitt County Sheriff’s Office.
Greenville Police Chief Mark Holtzman said the program, which he said will combat gun violence, will launch in early 2019.”

Wilmington's had this for years. Its effective in that someone doesn't have to call and report for dispatchers to know that shots are fired. Its standard technology that most large cities use.

It should be effective in catching criminals.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:24 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,041,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I have no problem with the city getting ahead of a potential problem. When we moved here 12 years ago murder in Greenville was a regular headline in the news. Now it's getting to be a rarity. I'd like to keep it that way.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:17 AM

4,631 posts, read 3,038,523 times
The saga continues...

Fire response draws criticism; chief responds - Daily Reflector

Old 10-15-2018, 06:54 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I have no problem with the city getting ahead of a potential problem. When we moved here 12 years ago murder in Greenville was a regular headline in the news. Now it's getting to be a rarity. I'd like to keep it that way.
To prove your point...

https://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=16048

Shotspotter will likely help the city continue to lower the crime rate...criminals knowing you are tracking their discharging of firearms should reduce the number of discharges....which obviously makes a community safer. This technology is a good resource. And when they do discharge, their is more likelihood of catching that person because they are not reliant on a neighbor, bystander etc...that may or may not call the police because of threat of retaliation.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:46 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,416 times
I have heard that the ECU Stident Services downtown has been put on hold due to lack of $$.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
To prove your point...

https://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=16048

Shotspotter will likely help the city continue to lower the crime rate...criminals knowing you are tracking their discharging of firearms should reduce the number of discharges....which obviously makes a community safer. This technology is a good resource. And when they do discharge, their is more likelihood of catching that person because they are not reliant on a neighbor, bystander etc...that may or may not call the police because of threat of retaliation.
I donít have a problem with the system, I think itís great.

Itís just not the best headline that Greenville needs such a device.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Was anything ever done in regard to the study results?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina