U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2018, 07:34 PM

3,287 posts, read 5,437,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Wells closed the branch that was literally next door to city hall. I don't think they were trying to cultivate a good business relationship to be honest.

As far as I know the RFP for services is still out there.
The branch closing is meh, I’ve heard people say it was never busy. The closing of Dealer Services was a much bigger deal with 600 jobs loss.

That said, and this question isn’t specific to you Garnet though feel free to answer, was there another major job announcement here this year that I forgot? I realize it sounds like I’m trying to be a jerk, but I genuinely want to know if I’ve forgotten another announcement and I’m just giving Greenville-Pitt a hard time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
You want Greenville to promote real job growth, but consider it petty when it considers refraining from doing business with a major bank that is eliminating a couple hundred jobs right here in Greenville?
If closing accounts is done out of spite as opposed to genuine business needs, then yes, it’s petty. If we geninuely cared this whole time about our constituents tax-payer money, then we should’ve moved accounts years ago, not when Wells Fargo decides to relocate jobs. I don’t see how that isn’t a petty response, it’s not like Greenville lost access to Wells Fargo and now they need to move accounts in order to best facilitate money transfers and access to people they need to speak to on a regular basis. It was Dealer Services, something I’m just going to assume Greenville/Pitt officials don’t need to deal with on a regular basis. That isn’t to suggest the job losses themselves aren’t significant but rather we were potentially being stupid with our money for years but only became curious in such stupidity once Wells Fargo decided to move. Actually, the more I write, the more I realize how petty that is.

And yes, I absolutely encourage real job growth but I don't see the correlation between Greenville pulling monies out of Wells Fargo and job growth, care to explain? What exactly does that have to do with anything? How does that encourage said growth? Those jobs relocated to markets more expensive than ours is more of a sign than anything that we need to get our act together. Its beyond unfortunate for all people affected by such a relocation, but it should be a slap in the face for us to wake up, not a reason to abandon our years long-relationship with them. Unless you're suggesting the monies to be moved to a local bank in order to better capitalize them, its a petty response to their move.

Last edited by BMORE; 10-19-2018 at 08:03 PM..

Old 10-19-2018, 08:05 PM

1,069 posts, read 985,975 times
Okay I'm going to cut some of the hyperbole out of this.

The politicians (city council) are who decided that the banking relationship should be revisited because saying that looks good to the constituency and get them headlines in the local press. They directed city staff to look at the existing contract with Wells Fargo. It was then realized that a formal process for regularly reviewing the city's banking services provider was not in place. The worker bees in city hall don't care. Changing banks is a friggin nightmare. But they have to do what council says do, and realistically, a contract shouldn't go 10-15 years without being reviewed. So the worker bees prepared and put out an RFP for banking services, which mind you is also a pain.

I guarantee you anyone who is not in an elected position was not thrilled about how any of this went down.

Politicians are petty and reactionary by nature, but I still don't believe this specific action was petty. Wells screwed their Greenville-based employees over. A bunch of people from that building were moved to Raleigh. All they do is talk to dealer finance departments and approve/deny loans. I'm not sure why these people needed to be moved to Raleigh to do that.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:06 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
If closing accounts is done out of spite as opposed to genuine business needs, then yes, itís petty. If we geninuely cared this whole time about our constituents tax-payer money, then we shouldíve moved accounts years ago, not when Wells Fargo decides to relocate jobs. I donít see how that isnít a petty response, itís not like Greenville lost access to Wells Fargo and now they need to move accounts in order to best facilitate money transfers and access to people they need to speak to on a regular basis. It was Dealer Services, something Iím just going to assume Greenville/Pitt officials donít need to deal with on a regular basis. That isnít to suggest the job losses themselves arenít significant but rather we were potentially being stupid with our money for years but only became curious in such stupidity once Wells Fargo decided to move. Actually, the more I write, the more I realize how petty that is.
All the city said was that we would re-evaluate our banking relationship with WF after they chose to put a significant amount of our citizens on the unemployment line. There's no game nor stupidity involved. WF has no loyalty to Greenville. It doesn't hurt to reassess at a time like that.

Are you sure you want to run for public office?

Old 10-19-2018, 08:10 PM

1,069 posts, read 985,975 times
Quote:
And yes, I absolutely encourage real job growth but I don't see the correlation between Greenville pulling monies out of Wells Fargo and job growth, care to explain? What exactly does that have to do with anything? How does that encourage said growth?
Well first off, we shouldn't reward companies with tax money that shrink their local workforce.
Quote:
Those jobs relocated to markets more expensive than ours is more of a sign than anything that we need to get our act together. Its beyond unfortunate for all people affected by such a relocation, but it should be a slap in the face for us to wake up, not a reason to abandon our years long-relationship with them.
???
Do you know the type of worker that was in that facility? It was not executives who want to be in a nicer/more affluent area. It was low end middle class folks at best. I'm not sure what reality check we are supposed to get because people who lived here their whole lives lost their call center jobs.

Also...
Quote:
our years long-relationship with them.
...means absolutely nothing in government especially at the level a city the size of Greenville operates. If Bank of America or anyone else wants to come back and undercut Wells 1-2% they're going to get that contract. Loyalty means nothing. There are state statutes that tell you why.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Well first off, we shouldn't reward companies with tax money that shrink their local workforce.???
Do you know the type of worker that was in that facility? It was not executives who want to be in a nicer/more affluent area. It was low end middle class folks at best. I'm not sure what reality check we are supposed to get because people who lived here their whole lives lost their call center jobs.

Also...
...means absolutely nothing in government especially at the level a city the size of Greenville operates. If Bank of America or anyone else wants to come back and undercut Wells 1-2% they're going to get that contract. Loyalty means nothing. There are state statutes that tell you why.
Maybe Phil and you are right, maybe its not petty and perhaps a responsible decision of our government. Regardless, the point stands that the relationship should've been reevaluated years ago and quite frankly, under regular review. I stated in my post above that neither Wells Fargo, nor the Greenville/Pitt owe each other any degree of loyalty and such a relationship must be treated as such. Hypothetically speaking, if we were to have pulled our monies out of Wells Fargo years ago, its not like Wells Fargo would've closed that center immediately as, again, it was Dealer Services.

I do know people who worked at that facility and you're absolutely right -- there were low-income folk to low-middle class income folk. Them losing their jobs is tragic and I don't want to seem as if I am discounting that fact to any degree. What I am saying is the jobs were relocated, as in we didn't offer what Dealer Services needed or, Wells Fargo decided to consolidate at other locations in order to save money. I never suggested there were executives in such a facility making a decision as much as I am arguing that it was a business decision. One can make the argument that our evaluation is also a business decision now, but the point is we should've done it long ago and, again, on a regular basis.

Either way, we must strive to increase the quality of life for our citizens and continue working to attract top-talent and forward-thinking industries. Call centers across the country (and perhaps the world) will be automated entirely in the very-near future and therefore we need to work on specializing our economy to avoid significant job losses; that's what I am saying when I say its a slap in the face for us to wake up. I said a few posts prior that Greenville could turn its weaknesses into strengths and this serves as a prime example, while other cities in the future will be losing call centers, we're already thinking ahead to what replaces that industry in our town. We could serve as an example of how small, southern cities dependent on a few industries move their economy forward in the 2020's and beyond.

Last edited by BMORE; 10-19-2018 at 09:00 PM..

Old 10-21-2018, 12:20 AM

To digress from the contentious last few replies on this thread, I've been reading a bit on Lynchburg, VA and their Downtown Redevelopment. Though I can't say our metropolitan areas are exactly comparable in respect to population (260k vs 174k for us), their Downtown seems to serve as an excellent example of the direction Uptown Greenville could go albeit there Downtown has a considerable number of older/historic buildings that we simply cannot match. There are a few parallels such as not having an interstate directly in their city (changing for us due to 587 -- whoop!), having an airport served by one airline that serves the same destination as ours and depending to one extent or another on their college(s). Please, take a look at the thread posted below and check out of some of the developments happening:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...1635205&page=5

That said, what are the community thoughts on the Nelson Building on the corner of Evans and 3rd St in Uptown? I've always thought it would be a great building for a boutique hotel and after checking out the thread above, I felt validated. We shouldn't depend the alleged ECU alumni/hotel we've all wanted for years but instead leadership should be scouting for other companies to bring a hotel to Uptown. I do know there are businesses in the Nelson Building and I can't make a recommendation of what could be done with them outside of a developer brining more office space to Uptown for those businesses to move to.

In other news:

Pitt Schools student population holds steady

Pitt Schools student population holds steady - Daily Reflector

Though I don't see this as particularly good news, I do think with our student population being stagnant/steady we should be looking for a modernization program of much of PCS(Pitt County Schools) buildings as I've recommended before. PCS, according to the article, has a capacity of 26,000 students yet 23,000 students are enrolled in the system with 1,500 of the capacity being served by 50 modular units. I've long called for a complete reconstruction of JH Rose, but after hearing DH Conley is both the largest school and among the highest overcapacity (+200 students), its hard to argue against a reconstruction of the school + adding significant capacity in the newer building (2,000 students). Part of this county-wide capacity issue is political/nepotism, the other districting but regardless, now is the time we begin thinking forward on PCS. How we allow CM Eppes to be in despair next to ECU, historically a teaching college, is not only disheartening but absolutely unacceptable and there are many buildings across PCS that are in that same exact condition. I would imagine a building program could be paid over 20/30 years and cost a few hundred million dollars, which isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:34 AM

163 posts, read 116,222 times
Quote:
To digress from the contentious last few replies on this thread, I've been reading a bit on Lynchburg, VA and their Downtown Redevelopment. Though I can't say our metropolitan areas are exactly comparable in respect to population (260k vs 174k for us), their Downtown seems to serve as an excellent example of the direction Uptown Greenville could go albeit there Downtown has a considerable number of older/historic buildings that we simply cannot match. There are a few parallels such as not having an interstate directly in their city (changing for us due to 587 -- whoop!), having an airport served by one airline that serves the same destination as ours and depending to one extent or another on their college(s). Please, take a look at the thread posted below and check out of some of the developments happening:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...1635205&page=5

That said, what are the community thoughts on the Nelson Building on the corner of Evans and 3rd St in Uptown? I've always thought it would be a great building for a boutique hotel and after checking out the thread above, I felt validated. We shouldn't depend the alleged ECU alumni/hotel we've all wanted for years but instead leadership should be scouting for other companies to bring a hotel to Uptown. I do know there are businesses in the Nelson Building and I can't make a recommendation of what could be done with them outside of a developer brining more office space to Uptown for those businesses to move to.

In other news:

Pitt Schools student population holds steady

Pitt Schools student population holds steady - Daily Reflector

Though I don't see this as particularly good news, I do think with our student population being stagnant/steady we should be looking for a modernization program of much of PCS(Pitt County Schools) buildings as I've recommended before. PCS, according to the article, has a capacity of 26,000 students yet 23,000 students are enrolled in the system with 1,500 of the capacity being served by 50 modular units. I've long called for a complete reconstruction of JH Rose, but after hearing DH Conley is both the largest school and among the highest overcapacity (+200 students), its hard to argue against a reconstruction of the school + adding significant capacity in the newer building (2,000 students). Part of this county-wide capacity issue is political/nepotism, the other districting but regardless, now is the time we begin thinking forward on PCS. How we allow CM Eppes to be in despair next to ECU, historically a teaching college, is not only disheartening but absolutely unacceptable and there are many buildings across PCS that are in that same exact condition. I would imagine a building program could be paid over 20/30 years and cost a few hundred million dollars, which isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.
Uhh, do you mean the old Proctor Hotel building? Don Edwards thought about putting a hotel in when it was renovated but it was better suited for office then. Still think the hotel is better served further down Evans around 9th or 10th Streets or along the Dickinson corridor.

The Nelson feels more like a bad YMCA building from my childhood. Based on the picture above, it looks like we tore down an interesting structure to build it during our urban renewal phase. We can't undo the past, but I'd rather rip the Nelson out and start from scratch.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:51 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,362,977 times
I think the issue in Greenville and moving the needle on jobs is that Greenville is still in its infancy. There were decades and decades of nothing in terms of infrastructure and community development. Then after the Flood in Hurricane Floyd, the city was exposed on how bad things were. Redevelopment initiatives started, but bad planning in allowing student housing 3-4 miles from campus, slow movement into downtown by ECU, continued lack of road construction funds from Raleigh...created a lost decade. This current decade has finally started seeing some real aesthetic movement, which is necessary if you want to...

1) Encourage entreprenuership
2) Attracted existing industry

The City, IMO, is FINALLY doing its part by encouraging small businesses with funding help, building a parking deck downtown, entering into an agreement to re-open the Theater, Cleaning up the Imperial Site...they even sold a parking lot to develop market rate downtown housing....but as we know government only moves so fast.

There is so much to do...1) Improve the Town Common, 2) Dickinson streetscape, 3) Dickinson area parking, 4) Imperial site, 5) 10th St Streetscape...among many others. Downtown needs hotels, ECU needs to build something downtown.

All of this WILL create and show off a better community and will raise rent values near downtown, encouraging renovations and more redevelopment (some of it market rate)...the improved aesthetics make a difference, but still a long way to go.

I also like the "Green" industries idea for Greenville. It fits the landscape around Greenville, which has always been agricultural. ECU has to foster that. I think they are putting things into place, but developing programs that show results takes time for a University. So everyone needs to understand that this is going to take time, now that things are finally being put into place. There is still plenty of momentum.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
Uhh, do you mean the old Proctor Hotel building? Don Edwards thought about putting a hotel in when it was renovated but it was better suited for office then. Still think the hotel is better served further down Evans around 9th or 10th Streets or along the Dickinson corridor.

The Nelson feels more like a bad YMCA building from my childhood. Based on the picture above, it looks like we tore down an interesting structure to build it during our urban renewal phase. We can't undo the past, but I'd rather rip the Nelson out and start from scratch.
Trust me, Iím not the biggest fan of the architecture of the Nelson Bulding/Proctor Hotel as I wish it were more grandiose, but there arenít many historical buildings of its size in Uptown. The goal is for us to need a few hotels, we could have one on Dickinson, one on 10th and one the Nelson Building ó eventually. At this moment, the Nelson Building/Protocor Hotel is an area flush with law offices and is, frankly, a deadzone outside of those offices. Isnít there a master in place for Uptown? If youíre able to provide a link for that (only ask because Iíve looked before and couldnít find anything), Iíd love to see what we want out of that specific area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina