U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2018, 08:21 AM

3,286 posts, read 5,435,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I think the issue in Greenville and moving the needle on jobs is that Greenville is still in its infancy. There were decades and decades of nothing in terms of infrastructure and community development. Then after the Flood in Hurricane Floyd, the city was exposed on how bad things were. Redevelopment initiatives started, but bad planning in allowing student housing 3-4 miles from campus, slow movement into downtown by ECU, continued lack of road construction funds from Raleigh...created a lost decade. This current decade has finally started seeing some real aesthetic movement, which is necessary if you want to...

1) Encourage entreprenuership
2) Attracted existing industry

The City, IMO, is FINALLY doing its part by encouraging small businesses with funding help, building a parking deck downtown, entering into an agreement to re-open the Theater, Cleaning up the Imperial Site...they even sold a parking lot to develop market rate downtown housing....but as we know government only moves so fast.

There is so much to do...1) Improve the Town Common, 2) Dickinson streetscape, 3) Dickinson area parking, 4) Imperial site, 5) 10th St Streetscape...among many others. Downtown needs hotels, ECU needs to build something downtown.

All of this WILL create and show off a better community and will raise rent values near downtown, encouraging renovations and more redevelopment (some of it market rate)...the improved aesthetics make a difference, but still a long way to go.

I also like the "Green" industries idea for Greenville. It fits the landscape around Greenville, which has always been agricultural. ECU has to foster that. I think they are putting things into place, but developing programs that show results takes time for a University. So everyone needs to understand that this is going to take time, now that things are finally being put into place. There is still plenty of momentum.
No one can debate that we were, and to one extent or another remain, neglected by Raleigh. We’ve made incredible strides in the past few decades from a Washington or Kinston-esque town to a beacon of East Carolina and have created enough amenities that requires our citizens to travel less to Raleigh for XY or Z activity. Though our planners of the late 90’s and throughout the 2000’s didn’t have the foresight of what Greenville would be today, we continue to be plagued by leaders without vision*.

As far as I’m concerned, f*ck Raleigh. Long ago we should’ve been thinking creatively and instilling a culture of innovation within our citizens. As I mentioned an outdoor museum concept a few posts back and how artists are used to creating beauty on a budget, we should’ve had such a mindset in leadership but instead we preferred to play catch-up and applaud uninspiring development (as I am guilty of mysel). Simply by thinking outside the box, we could’ve been a community that was being mentioned nationally as opposed to our peer-cities in NC continuing to think we just have a party school here.

Outside of creating an outdoor, cost-effective museum in Uptown, it would also be interesting to create a museum discussing the history of slavery in East Carolina, it would be great for us to be hosting our first PRIDE parade in the next few years and would be great if we could cut down on the bureaucracy in order to move forward on building Green Industries here. We only have 12 years, as a planet, to get our act together and us twiddling our thumbs does absolutely nothing. I’d hate for a more forward-thinking community to come along and implement the economy of the future while we are applauding a mall expansion or another student housing development.

*Former Mayor Thomas must run for office again. Though I maintain my no momentum views, he did preside over a phase of unprecedented growth. With his understanding of comprehensive regional partnerships and having travelled a bit since being at the GTP to understnad the global economy, he could come back with an incredible show of force. By having relationships across the globe, he could be an asset like no other on luring another large industry to our area. But this vision also requires voting out most, if not all, of city council and having a group of people with competing, yet forward-thinking views.

Last edited by BMORE; 10-21-2018 at 08:29 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 08:34 AM

By the way, what does everyone think of a meetup? During the time I lived in Maryland and DC, I didn’t pay much attention to this thread so I’m not sure if we ever had a meetup. Regardless, I think it would be great to meet everyone!

Old 10-21-2018, 04:04 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,041,226 times
Note to self: Apply for job at Sup Dogs.

https://www.wral.com/man-orders-2-wa...-tip/17935446/

Old 10-22-2018, 05:27 AM

163 posts, read 115,388 times
Giant chess board ribbon cutting is at 3pm tomorrow! This is a wonderful bit of placemaking and I hope it will be used by our residents. Will anyone else be in attendance?

Old 10-23-2018, 07:35 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,643 times
PGV: Airline upgrading seat totals this winter - Daily Reflector

Quote:
Following the return of jet service and the addition of a fifth flight out of Pitt-Greenville Airport, American Airlines plans to increase the size of aircraft serving the facility this winter, said the facility’s executive director.

American will upgrade from 50-seat planes to 70- or 90-seat aircraft starting in February, Betty Stansbury said at the Oct. 15 Pitt County Board of Commissioners meeting.

Also during the meeting, the commissioners unanimously approved Stansbury request to support the efforts of PGV and the state’s nine other commercial service airports to secure permanent funding from the General Assembly using a portion of a tax collected from vehicle rentals made at those facilities.

“We need that at the airport to support the financial viability of the airport. If we can do this … it will eventually reduce the financial responsibility that we at the county and at the city have in order to support the airport and keep it viable,” Commissioner Jimmy Garris said. The commissioners will make the request part of their legislative goals for the coming 2019-20 legislative cycle.

Stansbury said the General Assembly funded in 2017 and 2018 $75 million for the airports in Raleigh, Charlotte, Asheville, Concord, Fayetteville, Greensboro, Greenville, Jacksonville, New Bern and Wilmington using a portion of an 8 percent tax collected on rental car transactions that occur at those airports.

Greenville’s share of that money was $377,000 and was used for pavement repairs.

In addition to permanently funding the airports, Stansbury said there is hope the legislature will increase the amount to $125 million annually. If that occurs Greenville could receive $1.7 million annually, enough money to use as local matches to federal grants and to deferred equipment purchases, such as replacing two snow plows that are each more than 30 years old, and undertaking more deferred maintenance projects.

Stansbury said a preliminary economic impact study undertaken by N.C. State University shows the Pitt-Greenville Airport has a $270 million impact on the community, with 400 jobs directly related to the airport and 1,200 jobs indirectly related. The airport also generates $9 million in taxes, Stansbury said. The final report will be release in January.

In calendar year 2017, 104,000 airline passengers used the airport, Stansbury said. There are 70 aircraft based at the airport, with a total value of $40 million.

In the 12 months prior to May 30, the Federal Aviation Administration reported 48,000 flights in and out of Greenville, making it busier than New Bern, Jacksonville or Fayetteville, Stansbury said.

The airport is still struggling with deficits, Stansbury said.

It has operated at a loss for the last eight of 10 years, she said, with the average deficit being $128,000.

This is happening even though the airport’s hangers are full — 50 aircraft are in the hangers and another seven are waiting for hanger space, she said.

Stansbury said the airport’s board of directors hopes to end the deficit by adding more hangers and diversifying the airport’s revenue sources.

One of those new revenue sources, development of a 90-acre commercial park on land the airport owns along Belvoir Highway, remains under discussion, she said.

Future projects will involve replacing the airport fire truck, expected to cost about $700,000, extension the north corporate taxilane and site prep for a new hangar, which is expected to cost $2 million, reconstruction of the secondary runway, which will cost $6.5 million and is scheduled for 2020, and rehabilitating the general aviation ramp.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:58 AM

Good. I fly out of PGV routinely now on work and the tiny jumper planes are cramped. I would really appreciate a larger plane, and the increased throughput of passengers should help PGV attract more support from the GA.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:18 PM

ECU gave official approval today for Lime E-Bikes on campus. Number is still TBD. Bikes are electric assist, not motorized. Pricing differs some, it will be interesting to see how my fellow classmates like them!

Old 10-25-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
ECU gave official approval today for Lime E-Bikes on campus. Number is still TBD. Bikes are electric assist, not motorized. Pricing differs some, it will be interesting to see how my fellow classmates like them!
Given the popularity of Lime across campus, I would imagine they’ll be well received.

In other news, I fully welcome a new mural.

http://www.reflector.com/News/2018/1...-downtown.html

Old 10-26-2018, 09:30 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,573 times
i wish they could re-locate the rabbit to another part of Uptown, like Dickinson Ave. or something.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:31 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,040,955 times
NC DOT citizens survey:

https://www.ncdot.gov/initiatives-po...s/default.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina