Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 05:18 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I remember those rumors a few years ago. The best thing Greenville could do, when it comes to a mall, is raze the current one and start over. It is in a prime spot, but too ghetto. It reminds me of North Hills in Raleigh before it got redeveloped. I do believe Greenville could support an "upper-ish scale" mall. I know of tooo many people who drive to Raleigh to shop. If they would redevelop and cater to middle/upper class, the people will come.

sad that people that live outside of Greenville in Craven, Lenoir, and Jones counties will more often go to Jacksonville Mall, vice Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 08:09 PM

107 posts, read 175,708 times
Quote:
What I assume you are looking at is the new interfaith chapel for the hospital. The current one is WAY to small for the hospital. And as far as I know, the childrens hospital is still on schedule for 2011. I have a photo of it somewhere. I'll dig it up and post it
I've seen the interfaith chapel and its nearing completion. The cleared area I'm referring to is much larger & further down the street, partly in front of the present childrens hospital.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:14 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadvocate View Post
I've seen the interfaith chapel and its nearing completion. The cleared area I'm referring to is much larger & further down the street, partly in front of the present childrens hospital.
Humm, I'll take a look and ask the next time I'm there

Old 05-24-2010, 08:17 AM

451 posts, read 1,914,274 times
Quote:
I could have sworn there was also one near the hospital (where the Food Lion and Debu Cafe are). Maybe I'm thinking of something else.
There were two locations - there was one by the hospital as well.

Saw an article in the paper a couple of weeks ago where the "Wal-Mart" developer stated that they were still planning on doing a shopping center on Hwy 33.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:58 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
The best thing Greenville could do, when it comes to a mall, is raze the current one and start over. It is in a prime spot, but too ghetto.
The property is too small for a full scale mall. Just about anywhere near Greenville would be good for a mall. One of the nicest malls in the nation is the Westfield Shoppingtown Annapolis. It was originally built, what was considered at the time, out in the middle of nowhere in a corn field. My wife's grand parents used to own the property. The city came to the mall.

The two properties on Firetower Rd where the trailer parks used to be would be good. It's over 500 acres. Plenty of room for the mall and plenty of room for parking.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The property is too small for a full scale mall. Just about anywhere near Greenville would be good for a mall. One of the nicest malls in the nation is the Westfield Shoppingtown Annapolis. It was originally built, what was considered at the time, out in the middle of nowhere in a corn field. My wife's grand parents used to own the property. The city came to the mall.

The two properties on Firetower Rd where the trailer parks used to be would be good. It's over 500 acres. Plenty of room for the mall and plenty of room for parking.
It is a small place, but my thought would be to build up. But as what Terry Holland says, it cost more to build up than build out.

Isn't there a lot of open land on the other side of Charles near The Landing apts? Before you get to Firetower, coming from ECU. That would be another nice spot.

I am trying to think of spots that would be easy for ECU students to get to/ride the bus. There are 30k students who rather drive to Raleigh to shop than keep the taxes here. Not to mention everyone else who could use a good mall

Old 05-25-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadvocate View Post

I drove by it last night, and the construction is in front of the Rehabilitation wing. I'll be in there tomorrow and try to get a scoop.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:17 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
The Daily Reflector (http://www.reflector.com/business/vitamin-shoppe-set-open-tuesday-36107 - broken link)

Vitamin Shoppe

I believe this is the WORST store Greenville could ever happen, I've only saw two other locations before and they're NEVER busy!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:24 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
A Mall like North Hills in Raleigh would be Nice, I wish they would tear down the Greenville Mall and close Kohls and move it to the Greenville Mall (I know that won't happen), make the shopping center mixed use with about 60 stores. Ahhhh it's good to dream!

Old 05-26-2010, 05:47 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
A Mall like North Hills in Raleigh would be Nice, I wish they would tear down the Greenville Mall and close Kohls and move it to the Greenville Mall (I know that won't happen), make the shopping center mixed use with about 60 stores. Ahhhh it's good to dream!

I don't think I've ever seen a Kohls inside of a mall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina