Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,733,279 times

Advertisements

The only thing I've heard about the ground being too soft has been in regards as to why the hospital has not built a parking deck. Other than the dorms, has there ever been anything higher than four stories downtown?

I've had a few conversations with a man who's about 70 and a Greenville lifer. He told me that the Sycamore Hill Church was the only hold-out in getting the future Town Commons cleared, then one night it was set on fire. No one was ever caught for the deed. This was '69 or '70. Different times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 AM

286 posts, read 648,448 times
If the ground can support all the stuff ECU builds I don't see why a relatively small parking deck is an issue. Wilmington has a parking deck right on the river.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,218,142 times
I am too told to remember, and too lazy to check if this rendering is already here.

And the proposed roundabout on 5th at 14th/Tyson

Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 PM

I guess this is Greenville Area Development, the Pamlico-Tar River Foundation wants the camping platform on the Tar/Pamlico River. The ones mentioned here are in extreme eastern Pitt County, but there seems to be momentum to put them throughout the river system.

City, PTRF consider camping platform deal | Washington Daily News

I would love to see a dock built on the Tar for River Park North. There already is primitive camping there. I think a good spot for a pier and structure would be on the extreme eastern edge. If you look at Google Maps, it forms a peninsula. That small cove would be a perfect place to dock a kayak or whatever and spend the night. You're 1.75 miles from the Town Commons and almost 2 miles from Port Terminal. So its relatively secluded, but still close to home.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:14 PM

Some new info about the 10th Street Connector. Business and property owners say they have until October to move out or close down their businesses.

Road expansion project causes financial pains for local business | 9 On Your Side

Lastly, it is sad to see so many typos in a news article like this. WRAL would never let that occur.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:03 PM

Anyone heard of the 4th Street Pocket Park? I guess it is going behind Merchants Alley, but not sure where.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:20 PM

Highway 43 from B's BBQ to 264 is going to two lanes until March 29, to keep up the widening of 43.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/NewsReleases/details.aspx?r=7583

Old 01-12-2013, 04:47 AM

2,305 posts, read 6,063,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
I don't believe they should redevelop the Town Common. I don't get why this big push to do so, either. Did no one notice the huge debacle regarding Dix Hill in Raleigh as Perdue was on the way out? Other cities would kill for a property like that.
Do you know what I see when I go to the town common in the summertime? Nothing. All I see is a hot, wide open space with a couple of puny trees and some bushes. It is wasted space. I have and will always be critical of Greenville's waste of the river front. They may as well have left shanty town there. At least there was something to look at.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 AM

910 posts, read 1,313,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Some new info about the 10th Street Connector. Business and property owners say they have until October to move out or close down their businesses.

Road expansion project causes financial pains for local business | 9 On Your Side

Lastly, it is sad to see so many typos in a news article like this. WRAL would never let that occur.
I've been seeing way too many typos and too much poor spelling on big time news sites as well the past few years. I think everyone fired their copy editors during the downsizings and lord knows journalists aren't the sharpest crayons in the mixed metaphor drawer.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 PM

145 posts, read 264,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Do you know what I see when I go to the town common in the summertime? Nothing. All I see is a hot, wide open space with a couple of puny trees and some bushes. It is wasted space. I have and will always be critical of Greenville's waste of the river front. They may as well have left shanty town there. At least there was something to look at.
Yeah, it does seem like a waste. I mean, look at what Washington has done with their waterfront. All the town commons does is just block your view of the river. Downtown is already close to the river so why not make use of the space. You can still have a boardwalk but why waste all that space with just trees and paths. There should be shops or a hotel like they were talking. You could have some shops along the waterfront and that would be a safer area to walk along and shop or go to a restaurant then directly in the middle of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina