Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 PM

150 posts, read 351,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Zoe's Kitchen has opened in Greenville. I know it's another restaurant...but I'm sure it will employ 20-25 (ore more)people that might not have had jobs previously. Every little bit will help this city grow.
I tried it - it was good! Plus, the food is healthier than other dining out options, so it's a nice addition to that plaza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
The owners of A.J. McMurphy's (who also own CPW's if I'm not mistaken) have purchased the Cubbies downtown location and have closed it temporarily to renovate it.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I believe one of the major purposes of a proposed Baseball park is to spur more economic development. A smaller American Tobacco District/Durham Bulls Park. Having it there would not create the type of development that is wanted.

They want to "clear" out the dilapidated buildings Uptown.

Yep. I get what they're trying to do. I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum would think there would be any interest in building a stadium elsewhere in the city if the Tobacco warehouse area does not work out. I still think that the stadium is something the city could use regardless of the location.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,075 times
Quote:
The owners of A.J. McMurphy's (who also own CPW's if I'm not mistaken) have purchased the Cubbies downtown location and have closed it temporarily to renovate it.
What? Really...I'm shocked that he would sell that Cubbie's location. Guess he's focusing his attention on the Arlington location.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:53 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Yep. I get what they're trying to do. I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum would think there would be any interest in building a stadium elsewhere in the city if the Tobacco warehouse area does not work out. I still think that the stadium is something the city could use regardless of the location.
I've thought that if a minor league team owner wanted a stadium in Greenville, but didn't care about or want to wait for downtown revitalization, a good location would be the empty land next to the fairgrounds (across from the Wendy's/WilcoHess, Bojangles, Campus Pointe North). It'd be convient for travelers from other towns, it would fit a stadium and parking perfectly, and it has an access road already in place. The down side is that the only growth it would spur would be a couple more fast food places, a strip mall or two, and probably another Sheetz. A downtown stadium would help bring back a neighborhood, a community, a way of life, and help drive a stronger economy for the whole town. I would go to games wherever they put the stadium, but I'd rather we hold out for a downtown location.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:21 PM

Phil,

I've thought about the area near the fairgrounds. Maybe purchasing some land adjacent to the fairgrounds would be an option too. People could park at the fairgrounds. Only problem is that the intersection near the fairgrounds is really congested as is. I think it would be a bit harder to get people in & out of that area for a game. Traffic is horrific during the week of the fair in that area. It would be bad for the 30+ home games during the summer.

What about the large tract of land that is on firetower road (Right where the fire tower is). That's a huge area of land that would be a really good place (In my opinion) of creating a mixed used residential/commercial/entertainment district. The only problem is that it looks like it would be kinda hard to build back roads to alleviate traffic congestion on Firetower Rd. It's basically one or two ways in & out of Firetower. That might create a traffic nightmare in an area that runs pretty smoothly for the most part.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Just for clarification, the owner of AJ McMurphy's does NOT own CPW's...the CPW's owners own Atavola.

So it is still going to be a Cubbies? I thought Cubbies were corporately owned or franchises, is the guy getting out of the business?

Old 02-11-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Just for clarification, the owner of AJ McMurphy's does NOT own CPW's...the CPW's owners own Atavola.

So it is still going to be a Cubbies? I thought Cubbies were corporately owned or franchises, is the guy getting out of the business?

HP, from the cubbie's downtown facebook page, it seems that it will still be a cubbie's.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cubbi...n/346447574007

Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 AM

145 posts, read 266,502 times
I think it would defeat the purpose of building a stadium if they built it somewhere else. Right now Greenville is focusing all their development on the downtown area and it would be stupid to build it somewhere else due to the fact that they want people to come downtown for the games and it would be something to get people into downtown and then maybe stay for supper or some shopping afterwards. And I don't think they would spend the money on it if it wasn't downtown. And also they can build it downtown because I believe they have some sort of downtown revitalization designation given to them by the state or something like that so they can pretty much do whatever they want downtown. So I would just say all they have to do is find out if it is feasible to build there and of course if they can afford it and probably would be nice to get a team first.

They can do all they want to downtown but they will need a big attraction like this stadium to actually get more people into downtown because right now everyone thinks its like gang central when I was actually riding through downtown the other day and it looks really nice now even near all the bars. I saw a lot of restaurants and shops that I had no idea were even there. So all it needs is more people going down there and then all the gangs will run off to another part of town. I think the police department has proved that they can clean up downtown but its not going to stay that way if you don't have more development in that area.

Just sort of my thoughts about the downtown area and why I think the stadium needs to go there.

Last edited by piratesrock; 02-12-2013 at 09:48 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
I think it would defeat the purpose of building a stadium if they built it somewhere else. Right now Greenville is focusing all their development on the downtown area and it would be stupid to build it somewhere else due to the fact that they want people to come downtown for the games and it would be something to get people into downtown and then maybe stay for supper or some shopping afterwards. And I don't think they would spend the money on it if it wasn't downtown. And also they can build it downtown and I believe they have some sort of downtown revitalization designation or something like that so they can pretty much do whatever they want downtown. So I would say all they have to do is find out if it is feasible to build.there or not.
Agreed. There may be a few different options downtown, but it should be built downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina