Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 02:51 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Sadly, I believe so. A lot of history in that building, but it does no good in its current capacity.
Thanks. Yeah, sometimes it's too bad big brick buildings can't be jacked-up and moved like an old wooden house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 03:32 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Thanks. Yeah, sometimes it's too bad big brick buildings can't be jacked-up and moved like an old wooden house.
It would be great if it could be moved to the other side of Evans. Replace that Thai restaurant. But oh well...

Old 03-09-2013, 04:30 PM

286 posts, read 652,846 times
Ham's lost some business that wouldn't eat there because it was an old funeral home. Most people over 50 that I knew would not go near it. My mother remembers attending many a funeral there.

Older lady I work with always told us... "Don't use the pepper shakers" ;-)

Old 03-10-2013, 08:48 AM

24 posts, read 37,253 times
Quote:
It would be great if it could be moved to the other side of Evans. Replace that Thai restaurant. But oh well...
You don't like that Thai restaurant? Or saying it should be in a better looking building? Same restaurant as Aanchalee down memorial since it branched off from there.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
Ham's lost some business that wouldn't eat there because it was an old funeral home. Most people over 50 that I knew would not go near it. My mother remembers attending many a funeral there.

Older lady I work with always told us... "Don't use the pepper shakers" ;-)
Funeral home, and the School of Theater used the building as well

Old 03-10-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidriverx View Post
You don't like that Thai restaurant? Or saying it should be in a better looking building? Same restaurant as Aanchalee down memorial since it branched off from there.
Better looking building. Ham's building looks 100x better than that Thai building/

Old 03-11-2013, 07:32 AM

228 posts, read 600,874 times
Quote:
More new info on the apt complex.

Tom Taft and Jim Ward are the investors.

It is a $40 million complex.

It will be 240 units, 545 rooms with a private bathroom - and include a pool, health club, state-of-the-art security system and a 430-space enclosed parking deck

It will be 5 stories and have 11,485 square feet of retail and outdoor seating and dining. The bottom retail section will face Reade Circle.

The upper four floors will be separated into three sections with their own courtyard.

The developers said this will not be a "party apartment complex". But somewhere attractive and safe to live.

Demolition will begin next week, and it will be complete in about a month.

Construction should begin in June and take 18-20 months; so December '14 - February '15.
And, rumor is that Peak Campus Properties will be managing this property? Is that the word on the street?

Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
A complex this large is really going to change the look and feel of Downtown!! I love that the property will have some shops on the bottom and a parking deck.

I'm sure that someone will want the property of the Thai place next. The Thai place could move across the street to the new complex once it is finished.

I feel like there should be more of this type of "clear & build" in other spots downtown. Take the entire block where the stop shop, sup dogs, phoenix, the O.P., Hair Salon, etc. is and do the same thing! ( I know it's easier said than done) I'll be glad to see this go up over the next couple of years.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:22 AM

286 posts, read 652,846 times
The Thai restaurant may not survive if they don't get their scheduling together. I don't eat there, but my fiancee does, and she's gone there more than once to find the restaurant closed up on weekdays. I just passed it now and it doesn't look like it's open. Those kind of hours don't fly in a business district.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 AM

24 posts, read 37,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
The Thai restaurant may not survive if they don't get their scheduling together. I don't eat there, but my fiancee does, and she's gone there more than once to find the restaurant closed up on weekdays. I just passed it now and it doesn't look like it's open. Those kind of hours don't fly in a business district.

Aanchalee is always closed on Mondays, and I think Thai 360 is also closed on Mondays, b/c the owner is the same guy who used to work at the other place. A lot of asian places are off 1 day/week. Whenever I go on Fridays or Saturdays, that Thai place seems to be busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina