Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM

893 posts, read 1,342,898 times

Advertisements

saw this on the uptown Greenville facebook page...inside layout of new Cotanche Building..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 01:19 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times

Old 04-16-2013, 04:50 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Would love to see time frames listed in the legend showing us expected start/finish dates by year...really can give you a sense of what will be happening in the next couple of years. As well, the 10th St Connector project is moving forward with acquisition...the area could be expanded to show all of the clearing that will take place in that project, which will have a significant impact on downtown as well.

Hope the Greenville leaders can continue the momentum...have to wonder when ECU will get on board with its planned Alumni Center downtown as well as redevelopment of some existing uses....putting plans out there (with expected dates) could help spur additional downtown development projects...they have talked of a hotel...that should be a "goal" project for downtown Greenville....as well as getting the theater renovated and utilized.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 AM

52 posts, read 96,924 times
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

This has nothing to do with the news about the downtown developments.... But I am wondering what some of you think about the idea of a Cinema Grill (Cinema Cafe, Cinema Restaurant, etc) coming to Greenville? I've had the idea in the back of my mind for a while now. I had thought about putting it in the shopping center where the DMV is (off South Memorial). The only thing... the screens and curtains, etc. have been taken down inside that old Carmike Theater.

Would something like that do well in town? Does Greenville have the market for that?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
I have to say that Allen Thomas is doing a very good job with the City compared to the previous mayor. It may not be all of his doing, but it seems that since he's been in office, Greenville has made significant leaps and bounds in growth.

I love the growth of this new downtown project that will transform Rumors, The OP, etc. I think there will eventually be some demolition and these building will be replaced with 4-5 story commercial/residential buildings similar to the other large project where Ham's is. I wonder how it will look with half of a block completely remodeled while the half with the stop shop/supdogs/Club Paradise/etc. will look ragged and dirty. Hopefully the other half of that block will be purchased and a similar commercial/residential building can be built.

I don't think they have to close down all of the bars/clubs downtown. I just think they can have a more mature area for people above the age of 25 to hang out. I think it should definitely be in the Dickinson area that they are building up with the new renovated buildings and the future GO Science center.

I'm loving it!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePippin0982 View Post
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

This has nothing to do with the news about the downtown developments.... But I am wondering what some of you think about the idea of a Cinema Grill (Cinema Cafe, Cinema Restaurant, etc) coming to Greenville? I've had the idea in the back of my mind for a while now. I had thought about putting it in the shopping center where the DMV is (off South Memorial). The only thing... the screens and curtains, etc. have been taken down inside that old Carmike Theater.

Would something like that do well in town? Does Greenville have the market for that?
I think any low cost movie theater option will do well in Greenville. I frequent the $2 movies in Raleigh and I've been to the Cinema Grill in Raleigh on occasion as well. My preference would be strictly the standard movie theater experience.

At the Cinema Grill, I felt pressured by the waitstaff to order a meal even though I was not hungry and I was charged $1 another time for a glass of water. I'm not saying that you would charge or pressure customers or that I would have a similar experience with your business. But I wouldn't want you to start with your business, then 6 months into it find that half of the theater is not interested in purchasing a full meal and you feel the need to charge for a cup of water.

The $2 theater shows movies that about 3-4 weeks from being released onto DVD. Every time I've been in that theater, it's been a good crowd.

Your idea is a great deal for people. I think it would work well even with the Regal movie theater behind it. People want to be able to go to a movie theater and not pay 10 for a single ticket and another 15 for popcorn, snacks, and drinks. I hope that you are successful, and I would visit the theater on my many trips back to Greenville. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 10,111 times
Sounds like a good idea, but I like to watch movies via Netflix or Amazon via my Roku on my home theatre system. Plus, I can pause the action to get another beer or snack, and it's all more offerings than I can watch in a lifetime. I would be surprised if this could be successful.

What I do wish, is if I could have owned a few of those Red Boxes outside of stores around town- there is almost always two or three people standing around them waiting to get a movie!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 10,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
And I would appreciate it if the Marine Corp commander would tell his guys to stay out of Greenville. Let them terrorize Jacksonville instead. Keep them at home.
Won't happen- the ECU girls are hotter up here~

Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 AM

77 posts, read 150,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
At the Cinema Grill, I felt pressured by the waitstaff to order a meal even though I was not hungry and I was charged $1 another time for a glass of water.
You went to a dine-in movie theater and didn't eat? You couldn't even buy a couple rounds of beer or drinks or something? Why'd you go there then? There is a general understanding between all parties when you go one of those places that you'll order something and not just take up space.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk_md View Post
You went to a dine-in movie theater and didn't eat? You couldn't even buy a couple rounds of beer or drinks or something? Why'd you go there then? There is a general understanding between all parties when you go one of those places that you'll order something and not just take up space.
I paid for a MOVIE ticket. I went to watch a MOVIE. There's no sign in the dine-in theater that states that I HAVE to eat anything.

If i go to a regular restaurant with friends and decide not to purchase anything from the menu, I am not charged for water, I am not pressured by the waitress to order a full meal. The waitress takes the orders of everyone around me and life goes on.

I did order popcorn as I normally do at a movie theater in my first trip. On my second trip, I ordered a cheeseburger and water and was charged for the water.

I am not "taking up space" if I PAY to watch a movie in their theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina