Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 08:42 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times

Advertisements

There are no announcements to open a Super Target. Here is the list through March of 2014.

Staten Island, N.Y., July 2013
Lawton, OK, July 2013
Denver, CO, July 2013
CityTarget, Portland, OR, July 2013
Baltimore, MD, Oct. 2013
Alameda, CA, Oct. 2013
Pomona, CA, Oct. 2013
East Kendall, FL, Oct. 2013
Cary, N.C., March 2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Get ready for a BIG Cancer Tower info dump.......
  • ECHI is being used as the model
  • Occupancy is planned for 2018
  • 369,110 square foot, six-story cancer center tower. First floor - 113,135; Second - Sixth - 51,195/each
  • It will be physically connected to the hospital and built adjacent to ECHI tower and mirror its design. The power plant was built with this tower in mind.
  • First floor - Outpatient Cancer services: relocation of CyberKnife, Gamma knife, chemotherapy, and PET. Plus additional (clinical/non-clinical) support space.
    Second/fourth floors - Inpatient cancer services: Each floor will have 48 beds (96 total), plus needed support space
    Third floor - Mechanical operations
    Fifth/Sixth floors - Future inpatient expansion; Current use will be for offices, conference rooms, resident space etc.
  • The total cost will be over $183 million with over $114 million for construction
    Vidant is expecting to fundraise $40 million for it
  • Almost 375 non-physician staff members (RNs, Secretaries, etc) are expected to be hired for this tower by the second year of operation. It will increase to over 415 by the next year.

This new tower will consolidate all of the oncology needs in one place. Current dedicated oncology services are currently at 3 West, 1 East and palliative care. So all those will move, creating new space to add an observation unit (1 East), and pediatric support space (3 West)

Using 2012 average, Vidant had around 93 oncology inpatient at one time. We currently only have 52 inpatient beds total, so patients would have to go to one of those three areas, or scattered throughout the hospital.

________
Just to reiterate, A LOT can change from today, but the info should be good.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:30 AM

My big question about this project, and I expect the answer is no. But I hope this project will receive NCI-designated Cancer Center status.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Is there any way to know how many of the general beds are full at Vidant on average? I believe max capacity is 75 general beds but I was wondering if they may need to expand to add more soon.
I know this has already been semi-addressed, but I wanted to expand on it.

In 2012, Vidant had 748 acute beds, with an average occupancy (average daily census) of 617, or 82%. By 2020, with the addition of the 65 new acute beds for the cancer tower, the average occupancy rate is projected over 90%. For a hospital of its size, the state likes to have occupancy rates right around 75%.

So either Vidant will start capping transfers/admissions, or we are about to see another big building boom.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:35 PM

The restriping of 1st Street will occur by August.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:56 PM

52 posts, read 96,873 times
So I would love to bring a Boston Market back to town and also, introduce a Chipotle restaurant to Greenville!

Old 06-03-2013, 07:23 PM

52 posts, read 96,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
Any leads on where the Super Target is going. I heard just west of the theater on Greenville Blvd. If that's true that seems like a terrible location.
I asked a Target associate a few weeks ago if there was any truth to Target building a new store or a "super Target" in Greenville. She said that there were no plans at the time and that Target doesn't really build super Targets anymore. The stores they build now are kind of like super Targets but they do not sell fresh meat. (So in other words, there's no butcher shop.)

Old 06-03-2013, 08:25 PM

145 posts, read 266,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Get ready for a BIG Cancer Tower info dump.......
  • ECHI is being used as the model
  • Occupancy is planned for 2018
  • 369,110 square foot, six-story cancer center tower. First floor - 113,135; Second - Sixth - 51,195/each
  • It will be physically connected to the hospital and built adjacent to ECHI tower and mirror its design. The power plant was built with this tower in mind.
  • First floor - Outpatient Cancer services: relocation of CyberKnife, Gamma knife, chemotherapy, and PET. Plus additional (clinical/non-clinical) support space.
    Second/fourth floors - Inpatient cancer services: Each floor will have 48 beds (96 total), plus needed support space
    Third floor - Mechanical operations
    Fifth/Sixth floors - Future inpatient expansion; Current use will be for offices, conference rooms, resident space etc.
  • The total cost will be over $183 million with over $114 million for construction
    Vidant is expecting to fundraise $40 million for it
  • Almost 375 non-physician staff members (RNs, Secretaries, etc) are expected to be hired for this tower by the second year of operation. It will increase to over 415 by the next year.
This new tower will consolidate all of the oncology needs in one place. Current dedicated oncology services are currently at 3 West, 1 East and palliative care. So all those will move, creating new space to add an observation unit (1 East), and pediatric support space (3 West)

Using 2012 average, Vidant had around 93 oncology inpatient at one time. We currently only have 52 inpatient beds total, so patients would have to go to one of those three areas, or scattered throughout the hospital.

________
Just to reiterate, A LOT can change from today, but the info should be good.
WOW. That is some exciting info! The one thing that will be interesting is that you said it will mirror the design of ECHI. I really am hoping that it's not as simple looking as the ECHI just because it is a very important building that is going to be a huge influence on the future of Vidant. Hopefully they mean by mirroring the design is that it will be the same unified design but that it will still be a unique building. I feel like the ECHI was a little too simple in the design unlike say, the new Childrens Hospital. I mean, this should look like a world class facility so I just hope they don't go cheap with the design. But of course either way its great for Vidant and Greenville so that's the most important part.

Last edited by piratesrock; 06-03-2013 at 08:39 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 03:38 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
The one thing that will be interesting is that you said it will mirror the design of ECHI.
He didn't say that. He said they will use ECHI as a model for the new building. Clearly the new building will have a different appearance from the ECHI. All of the floors on ECHI are the same size, the new building's first floor will be roughly twice the size of the remaining 5 floors. I think the similarities will be 6 floors and the way the floor space is utilized. You may also see some exterior design similarities like the green glass and basic design elements.

It is basic engineering that form follows function. The ECHI's main function is to provide cardiac care. The building does that very nicely. To add "blingy" stuff just for the sake of appearance is kinda pointless. Trust me, when you're going into that building for some care, the last thing you look at is how nice the building looks on the outside. Been there, done that.

All I'm trying to say is I'd rather they spend money on function. Rather than add a million dollars worth of bling to the outside of the building, I'd rather they use that money to enhance care in some way. Now if someone wants to donate the money to enhance the appearance, that's one thing. But please use the limited resources on care.

I don't have a problem with making the Children's hospital look nice. Too often and probably in most cases, children don't know what's going on and they're scared to death. If they're going into some dungeon looking building, that won't help calm their fears. But a nice, light, airy appearing building would probably help some and that's what they've done there.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 AM

192 posts, read 280,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePippin0982 View Post
So I would love to bring a Boston Market back to town and also, introduce a Chipotle restaurant to Greenville!
Chipotle would be awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina