Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM

145 posts, read 266,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Upset bid made on bus garage

Pitt County Schools has received its first upset bid for its bus garage property.

Greenville-based Ward Holdings LLC submitted a bid of $1.716 million for the 15.79-acre property located at 901 Mall Drive, across the street from the Greenville Grande movie theater on Greenville Boulevard.

The former highest bid was $1.625 million submitted by Elliot Greer, owner of Greenville Nissan.

Under North Carolina law, government entities must sell property through an upset bid process where each offer is advertised and competitors have 10 days to submit a bid higher by a certain percentage. The process ends when no counter offer is received by 10 days after the latest bid.

Pitt County Schools used the process to sell the former Third Street School. The first bid was received in October 2011 and the deal was finalized 10 months later in August 2012.

Pitt County Schools will advertise the new bid Sunday. Interested buyers will have until Jan. 29 to submit a bid of least $1,802,123, Rob Sonnenberg, school system attorney, said. Any qualifying higher bid must include a 5 percent deposit payable by certified funds, Sonnenberg said.

The bus garage property is worth $3.43 million, according to Pitt County tax records.

The garage and property will be sold “as-is,” Sonnenberg said. The buyer also must be willing to lease the property to Pitt County Schools for up to two years..

The school system initially decided to sell the garage in 2012.

People interested in bidding on the property should send a sealed bid with the offer to Sonnenberg at 1717 W. Fifth St., Greenville NC 27858.

I wonder what Ward has plans for? An "expansion" of the stores around there?
As much as I sure would have loved to see another car dealership or an expansion of one, I would be happy with another shopping development right there. Hopefully Ward will win the bid. It's a good location and I believe it would help improve the area. I really wish that old shopping center with the DMV in it would get bought and redeveloped. But I guess it will eventually. I think that area will eventually become like Raleigh's Brier Creek shopping center.

Does anyone think that Greenville could support another Target? Behind the Chick-Fil-a in Winterville would be an awesome location for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 05:23 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Does anyone think that Greenville could support another Target? Behind the Chick-Fil-a in Winterville would be an awesome location for one.
Perhaps on the other (East) side of Greenville. That location is only 3 miles from the existing Target.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,482 times
I would not be surprised to see Greenville Nissan up the bid on the old bus garage property and get on top again. Even if he isn't bringing in a new marque, like someone else said it would be wise to control what's beside him. The local car dealers have had new competition creeping in - Greenville Subaru was bought by Capital and Bob Barbour Honda is part of Hendrick Automotive now. Those big dealers don't play around.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:54 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Perhaps on the other (East) side of Greenville. That location is only 3 miles from the existing Target.
Or far western, past the Hospital. I see that area soon to pop with upper-ish scale development.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
NC 33 from Greene Street to US264 will be resurfaced. It should be completed by November 15.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:26 AM

3,080 posts, read 4,851,029 times
A little outside of Greenville, but the Highway 17 widening from the Washington bypass to Hwy 171 is finished and open.

Surveying crews have started surveying the final section from 171 to the existing 4 lane south of Williamston.

Good seeing this stretch done, certainly upgrades Highway 17...and was worried about it not getting done for a long time since it is less traveled than the southern portions of Highway 17 (in Craven and Jones Co) and the NC DOT is revamping its prioritization process.

Also heard that re-vamping is slow going and has been more complicated than anticipated. Apparently some of those toll projects are more competitive than they thought and will use up a lot of money leaving some areas with no road projects for a long time. I guess that's why they originally were scheduled for "toll" status.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:04 AM

192 posts, read 280,867 times
Just heard, from a second source, that Champions gym in next to Sam's is going to be opening a new location next to the new strip mall by the new Walmart. Apparently they are not going to be in the current suites but will be building a stand alone building right next the the current strip. I'm not sure how accurate this is but it seems likely that they will be there, just now sure in what capacity.

I'd LOVE to have more quality, health related businesses on the east side of town. Hopefully that will
also do more to bring in more high end restaurants instead of any more fast food which is the last thing Greenville needs.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 9,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadvocate View Post
Does anyone know what is going to be built on NC 43, at Bell's Fork, in front of the Bellamy Apts?
Not much going on but here are a couple of pics of that area.
Attached Thumbnails
Greenville Area Developments-sig-charles-2.jpg   Greenville Area Developments-sig-charles.jpg  

Old 01-23-2014, 09:26 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,550,718 times
Official release about ECU's new dorms that will take the place of the former Belk Residence Hall.

Belk Building 2014

Quote:
Work crews have begun taking apart Belk Residence Hall brick by brick to make way for two buildings that will become a new entrance to East Carolina University’s main campus.

Residence halls Gateway East and West will better link the College Hill neighborhood to the athletics complex and the 14th Street corridor.
belk7
Workmen remove materials in preparation for the demolition of Belk Residence Hall. (Photo by Cliff Hollis)

“They’re kind of our gateway to the future as housing is reinventing itself through renovations and construction,” said Bill McCartney, associate vice chancellor of campus living.

The new halls will stand in Belk’s place at the top of College Hill Drive. They will be similar though not identical: Both will be five stories tall and will house students in either suite-style or traditional rooms. Each suite-style room will accommodate four students, who share a bathroom.

“The unique design of the buildings is providing a tremendous amount of support space for the entire College Hill neighborhood,” said McCartney. Amenities will include music practice rooms, conference rooms, quiet rooms, study rooms, lounges, an outdoor courtyard, a sand volleyball court and a basketball court.

“We want to center the energy for the hill into this new building,” said Aaron Lucier, director of housing operations.

Some of the living–learning communities located in other campus living neighborhoods will be moved into the Gateway residence halls. “The building is being designed for the living-learning communities that are…supportive of a student’s academic success,” McCartney explained.

By adding programming space for the community and moving the Neighborhood Service Office and the computer lab for the College Hill neighborhood into Gateway, these buildings could become the new focal point of College Hill.

“From a literal and a figurative standpoint, it will be the crown jewel,” said Lucier.

Belk Hall has served as a home away from home for close to 500 students at a time since 1966. Gateway East and West will house a combined 720 students. There will be two residence hall coordinators and 18 resident assistants to help create a community for the first occupants, who are expected to move in by fall 2015.

“I’m excited we’re able to offer our students a great facility and set a new standard,” said Lucier.

Verónica Rodríguez-Mendez, Belk Hall coordinator, said she and other resident assistants took pride in being a part of the “last class of Belk” during the fall semester. “There was a lot of movement, so the people who stayed until the end of the semester were the most connected (to Belk),” said Rodríguez-Mendez.

Jessica Jones, a Belk Hall RA, began the fall semester with nearly 50 students, ended the semester with only 15 and strived to build a nice community among her residents. “We worked hard to build that because they only had one semester (together),” said Jones.

As alumni and recent residents prepared to say farewell to the 47-year-old ECU landmark, there were opportunities to tour the hall and reminisce about their time in Belk. Rodríguez-Mendez said when alumni came to visit, some teared up at the sight of their old room. Others visited with friends they met for the first time in Belk Hall.

“There is not going to be a moment (the building) comes down, it will be a series of moments,” said Lucier. Because of the gradual removal process, Lucier added, “we’re having people focus on the memories.”

Bricks, door plates, suite numbers and mailbox covers are currently on sale for people to purchase to remember Belk forever.

“This building is a creating a new standard for housing quality, in terms of the hill and comparing the old Belk to what Gateway is going to be,” said Lucier. “I think we’re developing a new campus landmark.”

For more information on purchasing a piece of Belk or the project progress, visit Remember Belk Hall.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:38 AM

14 posts, read 20,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picture this... View Post
Not much going on but here are a couple of pics of that area.

Unfortunately I have heard this will be a Family Dollar / Dollar General and a Cookout.

I live in this area and really don't want a Family Dollar out there. I can't wait for the robberies. The city should limit the number of these stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina