Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 08:33 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,633 times

Advertisements

I"m guessing the Super Block is the mixed use development where Ham's used to be. (Georgetowne?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 09:13 AM

17 posts, read 27,589 times
Ribeyes of Greenville is now open for business at the corner of Arlington and Firetower. They have a fabulous salad bar!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 AM

145 posts, read 266,647 times
This is referring to the City of Greenville parking deck, not the Georgetown parking deck which is only for residents of that complex.

I think they are talking about building a hotel next to the parking deck once the City finally builds it. If the parking deck helps bring a hotel along with helping the shops and restaurants downtown then I say go ahead and build it even if it may cost more then originally thought. It has taken way too long and this will greatly improve the economy of downtown once it is completed.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:58 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
The general idea was a Hotel would be build "on" 1st Street, but now this article is saying a parking deck is a "key component" of it. I don't know how a parking deck 3 blocks away would help a hotel.

Thus, I wonder if there are plans to build a hotel on 5th/4th Street instead, near Cotanche?

Old 04-08-2014, 03:25 PM

192 posts, read 281,103 times
I really don't see the point in taking out a loan with city money to charge the community to park there. This seems like a waste of taxpayer dollars. Sure it'll help the few decent businesses down there but not the community as a whole. Primarily only people like Don Edwards who owns numerous properties down there will benefit. I thought this would be a good idea but as the details unfold it doesn't seem to be in the public's interest to follow through on this parking deck. Also, I've NEVER had a hard time finding parking downtown, even when it's really busy I've been able to find a parking spot within a block.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:23 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
The City has that lot on Evans that is adjacent to the proposed deck, is that the potential spot for a hotel, maybe?

The new Courtyard Marriott in downtown Wilmington utilized a very small lot....maybe the same concept is at play in Greenville.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:15 AM

145 posts, read 266,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
The general idea was a Hotel would be build "on" 1st Street, but now this article is saying a parking deck is a "key component" of it. I don't know how a parking deck 3 blocks away would help a hotel.

Thus, I wonder if there are plans to build a hotel on 5th/4th Street instead, near Cotanche?
Yea I think that is the plan to build one around 5th or 4th street. I watched the city council meeting which explained a lot of details on the parking deck. I'd suggest for all of y'all to check it out.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:27 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,160 times
anyone know what is being built on 10th street across from Cookout / Bojangles? If I remember correctly there was a rumor of a Dairy Queen at one time.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:25 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
anyone know what is being built on 10th street across from Cookout / Bojangles? If I remember correctly there was a rumor of a Dairy Queen at one time.
It wasn't just a rumor. Somebody posted a link to the developer's website, where they had the layout plans of the DQ.

If that lot adjacent to Papa John's on Firetower Rd. is to be a restaurant, it will be a small one. Perhaps a Hardee's, Cookout, or a Domino's (if it's a chain)?

Old 04-09-2014, 02:13 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
I really don't see the point in taking out a loan with city money to charge the community to park there. This seems like a waste of taxpayer dollars. Sure it'll help the few decent businesses down there but not the community as a whole. Primarily only people like Don Edwards who owns numerous properties down there will benefit. I thought this would be a good idea but as the details unfold it doesn't seem to be in the public's interest to follow through on this parking deck. Also, I've NEVER had a hard time finding parking downtown, even when it's really busy I've been able to find a parking spot within a block.
But it's not building for now. They are building it for the potential future. The City has shown it want the downtown area to be a place for all ages and times during the day. Not just for college-aged at night.

Because you start to get into a chicken-or-egg scenario. Developers/business want to set up shop, but won't if there isn't enough good parking. Guess who has the power and who should make the first move? Potential businesses have the power, forcing the city to make the first move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina