Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 12:36 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,633 times

Advertisements

Sure, Red Robin may not be "upscale", but I certainly consider it to be a step above a place like Applebee's or even Chili's, so I don't think it hurts to have another above average chain restaurant in the city.

I've heard this complaint about Greenville, but I'm not sure I understand what else people are looking for..A place like Ruth's Chris or Melting Pot? Sure that would be great to have, but it's something that the city has to work up to, IMO. Getting a nicer place like Bonefish was a great step to having nicer eating establishments.

I think people can be just as happy as getting a 2nd Chipotle as they would if we were getting a McCormick & Schmick's or Maggiano's. I know I can. I don't want to pay $80-100 a couple for dinner every time I go out to eat. Sometimes Chipotle works, sometimes a much nicer place like a Firebird's Grill does the trick.

Besides, there are homegrown places like Starlight, CPW's, Villege(in the Hilton), Plum Tree Bistro, Winslow's, and Wasabi 88 that you can go to and not feel like you're in some big, generic chain restaurant. Lots of Fine dining choices will come once we have the market to support it. Greenville is still in Eastern NC and population of wealthier adults is low. No sense for a Ruth's Chris steakhouse (or similar level) to come if they won't have enough people come in on a daily or weekly basis. Maybe years from now as the city continues to grow and attract higher paying jobs and higher level restaurants to come in to get those dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 7,015 times
Default Thanks

Thanks

Old 08-17-2015, 12:58 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
I think those that whine about the chain restaurants in Greenville are just trying to make it something it is not.

Its a college town. College kids dont go out to eat all the time...and if they do, its fast food type stuff. Plus, Greenville is a place many come for entertainment, shopping, etc...from the rural areas. They aren't looking at spending big city money on food.

To be honest, I think the pricey restaurants are somewhat of a dinosaur. The economy now is about "value". And yes we want fresh, local, and healthy.

There are plenty of perfectly good places in Greenville for a town of its size.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:20 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,791 times
I'll check out RR, but a chain will have a hard time pulling me away from Bubba's - unless they run Bubba's out of business, of course. Even then, I'd probably stick with Hwy 55 (Andy's).

Old 08-17-2015, 03:59 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,247,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I'll check out RR, but a chain will have a hard time pulling me away from Bubba's - unless they run Bubba's out of business, of course. Even then, I'd probably stick with Hwy 55 (Andy's).
Darn Phil, my husband & I rode by there every night & were "always going to try it" and never did. We relocated back to So., NJ last week & have been to Red Robin here. Their burgers are delicious and the prices are comparable to most places, averaging around $10.00 a burger. I think they will do well in Greenville, even though it is a College Town a lot of kids are transplants and are familiar with chains like RR & BF. When we come back to check on the house we will be stopping by Bubba's this time for sure.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:00 PM

155 posts, read 235,187 times
Michaelbond & HP91 both hit the nail on the head. I never said RR was upscale, just a "bit" more upscale as MB said. definitely a notch above Applebees and Chili's as well. I'm with him as well - I don't want to go to dinner and pay high prices. For quality dinner, I'll take Starlight or other places mentioned. I remember when Greenville only had Anabelles, Darryls and Chico's - no other major restaurants.

I'm happy to have what we have for now. But I grew up on a farm so I'm not really a raised pinky kind of guy.

Better shopping opportunities are FAR more needed in Greenville than restaurants IMO.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:07 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
I think you guys are a bit confused in my perspective of Greenville and what I said about Red Robin. I'm not saying "Greenville needs more expensive places", I'm saying "Red Robin isn't expensive", hell, I'm the guy in recent pages to first bring Bubba's Burgers up. Just because I say Red Robin isn't expensive doesn't mean I'm saying Greenville needs a Ruth Chris, I just want to make sure things are called as they are and that is, at least in my opinion, that Red Robin isn't pricey nor upscale. With that said, I also did mention that gaining RR shows that Greenville demographics are changing, which in-turn says that yes, RR is in-fact above the other chain restaurants in Greenville.

Chick-Fil-A is a step above McDonalds, do I say that is a "bit more upscale" just because he prices are a tiny bit higher? In my humble opinion, no. I've been through the phase that I only wanted upscale things rather that be driving an Audi, eating hundred dollar meals, and paying an expensive (at least for my budget) studio a little outside of DC -- I don't want that anymore, at least until I'm more stable in my financial situation, what I do want is places liked Red Robin, Bubba's Burgers, Fuji Japan, Etc because they provide great food at substantially affordable prices compared to their truly upscale counterparts.

With that being said, I only want the best for Greenville as evident from the very first post in this thread. I've always said I wanted Greenville to aim for better jobs, forget restaurants and retail as much as better options will come on their own with true economic growth. If we want to call Red Robin pricey, that's fine since price is relative to income and budget, but I guess from my experience I just don't want to the word Red Robin and upscale to even remotely intermingle together.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:09 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,633 times
Bmore,

Great response. But I don't think there's an issue with what you've said . I think Greenville is perceived in general as the chain restaurant capitol of the East. I've heard a few people on this forum and plenty of negative comments on various websites (reflector, witn, wnct, etc.) every single time a new restaurant is announced for Greenville. I personally don't mind chain restaurants. I think there is a good mix of chain, regional, and mom & pop restaurants in Greenville. I'm always excited when any new restaurant comes to town, because I know it means that the city is growing.

I'm just hoping now for some brave souls to try to bring some more entertainment to the city. Museums, fun parks , minor league baseball, an amphitheater & new festivals. That is the next step for the city, IMO. We all want better for Greenville and I think we all agree it will take time for it all to fall in line. No Worries, Bmore!

Old 08-18-2015, 06:54 AM

89 posts, read 130,642 times
Not sure if anyone else has seen the old Overton's shopping center next to Christie's but, it looks VERY nice. Theyve redone the exterior to the whole building. If anyone rides by please snap a pic. Or I might do it the next time I'm there. But I look forward to seeing what's going to be put there.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:23 AM

17 posts, read 27,589 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina