Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 02:57 PM

545 posts, read 594,042 times

Advertisements

As a resident of the Charlotte metro area (Cabarrus County), I am glad to read about all the development going on the Greenville/Pitt County area. Hopefully the momentum continues in the long term, especially with the revitalization of downtown Greenville!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 06:43 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Here is a write-up on the City Council Meeting yesterday...lots of info in here...

The Daily Reflector

If I am reading this right, The City will replace its current parking lot on Dickinson/Pitt/Reade with a parking lot at Atlantic/Bonner...roughly a block and a half away (and likely bordered by the RR tracks on the West) That old site would get the $32 mill Apt Complex, and in between will be the Transit Center (haven't heard a latest on that).

That's significant progress in that area.

As well, the City agree to sell its lot (on the hill) on the corner of W 5th St and Albemarle to Taft Ward to help relocate the KA frat house. Not sure if Taft Ward is offering up to move the actual house...if so, that is another significant development for that area. This will help facilitate the 11th St/Charles St Campus Edge project.

I think these types of developments are showing how much Greenville's downtown really needed to do. It was essentially a wasteland of underutilized properties that had not seen much REAL effort for a really long time. It also shows how much of a role the CITY has to play in this. Extremely active role.

For like a decade or so, the City wasted its time debating whether E 5th St should be renamed MLK. THAT was considered a priority...rather than actually redeveloping Greenville.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:58 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,075 times
I tell you what, you read the comments section on the Reflector story & you just want to slap people. I don't even have words. It's the same old negative comments on any story that has to do with progress. If these people hate Greenville so much, leave.

I'm very excited to see this development come about. This along with the Transit Center, the new Pub & resturant and the Go Science Building is really going to change that area on Dickenson Ave dramatically. I hope as uptown development keeps occurring there are less and less parking lots and more parking decks. Seems like a good deal that the city is going to get a new parking lot and leased spaces out of it. I was wondering where tenants of this place we going to park.

Also great to hear about movement with the Frat House, I see they have already bulldozed quite a few buildings in the vicinity of the new complex, making it already look better imo.

Here's the article for those interested without access:

Quote:
The Greenville City Council approved the sale of two of its properties under specific conditions at its meeting Thursday to clear the path for two multi-million mixed-use developments downtown.

The council unanimously approved to sell its $1.5 million property behind the police department and Fire-Rescue headquarters currently used as a parking lot to Sidewalk Development for a $32 million mixed-use residential development with student apartments, market-rate apartments and retail space.

The property is bounded by Pitt Street, Dickinson Avenue and Reade Circle.

As part of the agreement, the city will build a new parking lot off of Atlantic Avenue for its own use and for 200 leased tenant spaces for the development. The lot will cost more than $1.3 million to construct.

The council unanimously approved to potentially sell a property on Fifth Street and Albemarle Avenue to Taft-Ward Investments for the relocation of the Theta Chi fraternity located on 11th Street.

The development must abide by more than 13 itemized conditions to allow its ownership of the property and lease of parking spaces.

Taft-Ward wants to relocate the fraternity to make way for the $54 million student housing development to be located on 10th Street across from the future $122 million East Carolina University student union.

Taft-Ward offered $50,000, consistent with appraisals of the property. The property still must be bid, so another party could submit an upset bid for the property.

The offer by Taft-Ward for the property also includes a city-required donation of $100,000 to benefit the west Greenville community. An upset bidder would not be required to meet this donation requirement.

The sale is contingent on several restrictions and conditions the developer must abide by or meet.

The council also voted unanimously to: allow wine, beer and keg stores in certain areas of the city with special use permits; approve its revised personnel policies; approve several budget amendments and rezonings.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:02 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
How comfortable are people from the new apartment complex going to feel walking two blocks down Bonners Lane from Atlantic - especially after the transit center is open - at night?

Old 09-11-2015, 01:07 PM

455 posts, read 527,157 times
Just FYI, the Cabinets Plus building on Dickenson next door to Greenville times was purchased by Ward (or Taft, its one or other not both) under a company called NC brewery LLC.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Just FYI, the Cabinets Plus building on Dickenson next door to Greenville times was purchased by Ward (or Taft, its one or other not both) under a company called NC brewery LLC.
Is that the one with the 919 area code phone number still advertised on it?

Old 09-11-2015, 02:21 PM

893 posts, read 1,342,075 times
Quote:
How comfortable are people from the new apartment complex going to feel walking two blocks down Bonners Lane from Atlantic - especially after the transit center is open - at night?
someone on Allen Thomas's facebook put the same thing, apparently a deck is planned for the future:

Quote:
This entire area (entire blocks) being redesigned, which include streets being redirected, new lighting and several new structures in a 8 block area. GTAC structures being built at the same time as this project.* Parking will eventually be an adjoining deck.
Quote:
Surface parking at the development itself as well as adjoining parking with phase two plan to build a deck adjacent to the site for this development as well as further improvements and retail in the immediate area along Dickinson. GTAC has its own parking.

Last edited by jpirate; 09-11-2015 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: r

Old 09-11-2015, 03:03 PM

That's a lot more informative than the renderings.

I grew up poor and lived in some sketchy areas, so I'm pretty thick. I wouldn't want to live next to a bus station, not to mention be sandwiched between the bus station and the fire station. Like I said before, I hope they soundproof those apartments, ultra-soundproof!

Old 09-11-2015, 09:25 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Default Lowe's Foods #204, Lynncroft, 3160 Evans Street Suite A, Greenville, North Carolina 27834-6935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabankoski View Post
Talked to a lowes store personnel yesterday and he had mentioned that publix corporate have came and analyzed the building and he had heard that they said it didn't fit there store criteria, that they were still looking in greenville. He did say they've had a few possible future tenants come into the building but didn't tell which companies they were from.
Publix is actively retrofitting three former Lowe's Foods stores across North Carolina. The stores should open in 2016. Publix replacing Lowe's Foods #204 as the grocery tenant could remain a possibility. I wonder what Lowe's Foods #204 and Lynncroft are missing for Publix's store criteria, and how they could be improved.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:37 AM

7 posts, read 9,675 times
Had talked to the same store manager from lowes and he said that the rent on the building was to high for them at this point, that they were going to continue to view other options. You are right about publix retrofitting three former lowes foods stores so hopefully they will see the potential in the lowes building and try to reach a lease agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina