Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 03:01 PM

275 posts, read 330,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
'

I'm not sure of how much it would cost to change the route, but I don't see it making that big of an impact overall. The 10th street connector by design already bridges the hospital, uptown and ECU. I don't think routing 33 or 43 through there will make that route more official than it already is. If the connector was more of a beltway between 264 and ECU(similar to Durham's NC 147), it probably would be better to change the route.
Idk if it would cost anything outside of putting some signs up. Stantonsburg, and 10th St. are already NCDOT Roads and would meet more than the necessary requirements for a NC Route. I say route in through downtown because there isn't a single highway in Greenville that directly leads to downtown (43, 264 and 33 kinda skirts around it). Think about it Kinston, Goldsboro, Rocky Mount, Wilson, Fayetteville, Wilmington, Jacksonville, and most other small towns have their center of town on a NCDOT/US Route. Why can't Greenville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 03:07 PM

12 posts, read 18,101 times
Default New hotel

Sure has a nice look though I too am not crazy about the brick color. I don't necessarily think the entire town needs to the same color as The Boundary ( really looks nice), but maybe when finished I will have a different take on it....looks like this hotel has maybe 50 rooms???

Old 07-12-2016, 04:20 PM

181 posts, read 240,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe41 View Post
Sure has a nice look though I too am not crazy about the brick color. I don't necessarily think the entire town needs to the same color as The Boundary ( really looks nice), but maybe when finished I will have a different take on it....looks like this hotel has maybe 50 rooms???
101 rooms...standard mid-size hotel

Old 07-12-2016, 05:48 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Merger between ECU Physicians, Vidant, just months away

GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – The merge between ECU Physicians and Vidant Medical Group could begin within months, according to higher up officials with both groups.

On Tuesday, WNCT sat down with Dr. Paul Cunningham, dean of the Brody School of Medicine, and Mike Waldrum, CEO of Vidant Health, to discuss developments in a deal that would merge two of the East’s biggest employers.

“There are a lot of people who need service in Eastern North Carolina that either aren’t getting service, or have to go to other communities to get service,” Waldrum said.

The plan to merge is being called Project Unify, and aims to provide better access, and quality, of care. Leaders with the two groups said discussions began years ago.

Waldrum said the main reason to merge isn’t due to money, but rather common sense approaches that could solve problems not only in the East, but across the entire country.

“One of our objectives is to create the model for rural health and education,” he said.

Both entities have been hit hard by healthcare reimbursement cut backs. Brody has had financial difficulties themselves, leading them to ask the governor for further support.

However, during the 2015-2016 fiscal year, ECU Physicians netted $16.2 million, which helped to replenish funds that had been drained in years past.

Dr. Cunningham said the move to merge makes sense since they already work closely with Vidant.

“Our intention is to create better value and use the dollars that we will receive as effectively as we can,” he said.

The move could open up new avenues of obtaining grants needed for important research in the East. Physicians with both ECU and Vidant would have access to research, and researchers would have a 29 county region they could study from.

Dr. Betsy Tuttle-Newhall, chair of the ECU Department of Surgery, said the end goal is to improve the care patients in the East receive.

“We’ll make the process more efficient, avoid duplication of services, we’ll make things move more efficiently and effectively for patients,” she said.

However, despite all of the positives, ECU Physician employees have raised concerns about job security and keeping their state employee benefits. Tuttle-Newhall said benefits would come down to HR, but that they didn’t plan on cutting any jobs due to the merge.

Dr. Mark Rumans, the System Chief Medical Officer at Vidant, said employees he has spoken to agree with the move.

“The doctors that I’ve talked to in Vidant Medical Group are very excited to have more access to education opportunities,” he said.

Currently, ECU Physicians employs 1,200 people, with Vidant Medical Group employing about the same number. Last year, the two entities combined saw more than 1.5 million patient visits across the East.

Both Cunningham and Waldrum believe the merger would increase retention of medical students after they graduate and attract other physicians to the area.

The merger would create a third group, which hasn’t been named yet. The group would have a separate board, with Vidant holding a 51% majority.

The two groups have moved forward in filing articles of incorporation with the North Carolina Secretary of State under the name VECU Medical Group, Inc.

Both ECU’s and Vidant’s boards still have to approve the plan, and a name must be decided on, before moving forward. Full integration would likely take years.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:14 PM

181 posts, read 240,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Merger between ECU Physicians, Vidant, just months away

GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – The merge between ECU Physicians and Vidant Medical Group could begin within months, according to higher up officials with both groups.

On Tuesday, WNCT sat down with Dr. Paul Cunningham, dean of the Brody School of Medicine, and Mike Waldrum, CEO of Vidant Health, to discuss developments in a deal that would merge two of the East’s biggest employers.

“There are a lot of people who need service in Eastern North Carolina that either aren’t getting service, or have to go to other communities to get service,” Waldrum said.

The plan to merge is being called Project Unify, and aims to provide better access, and quality, of care. Leaders with the two groups said discussions began years ago.

Waldrum said the main reason to merge isn’t due to money, but rather common sense approaches that could solve problems not only in the East, but across the entire country.

“One of our objectives is to create the model for rural health and education,” he said.

Both entities have been hit hard by healthcare reimbursement cut backs. Brody has had financial difficulties themselves, leading them to ask the governor for further support.

However, during the 2015-2016 fiscal year, ECU Physicians netted $16.2 million, which helped to replenish funds that had been drained in years past.

Dr. Cunningham said the move to merge makes sense since they already work closely with Vidant.

“Our intention is to create better value and use the dollars that we will receive as effectively as we can,” he said.

The move could open up new avenues of obtaining grants needed for important research in the East. Physicians with both ECU and Vidant would have access to research, and researchers would have a 29 county region they could study from.

Dr. Betsy Tuttle-Newhall, chair of the ECU Department of Surgery, said the end goal is to improve the care patients in the East receive.

“We’ll make the process more efficient, avoid duplication of services, we’ll make things move more efficiently and effectively for patients,” she said.

However, despite all of the positives, ECU Physician employees have raised concerns about job security and keeping their state employee benefits. Tuttle-Newhall said benefits would come down to HR, but that they didn’t plan on cutting any jobs due to the merge.

Dr. Mark Rumans, the System Chief Medical Officer at Vidant, said employees he has spoken to agree with the move.

“The doctors that I’ve talked to in Vidant Medical Group are very excited to have more access to education opportunities,” he said.

Currently, ECU Physicians employs 1,200 people, with Vidant Medical Group employing about the same number. Last year, the two entities combined saw more than 1.5 million patient visits across the East.

Both Cunningham and Waldrum believe the merger would increase retention of medical students after they graduate and attract other physicians to the area.

The merger would create a third group, which hasn’t been named yet. The group would have a separate board, with Vidant holding a 51% majority.

The two groups have moved forward in filing articles of incorporation with the North Carolina Secretary of State under the name VECU Medical Group, Inc.

Both ECU’s and Vidant’s boards still have to approve the plan, and a name must be decided on, before moving forward. Full integration would likely take years.
Interesting that the private Vidant takes 51% while the state takes a 49% stake. Wonder what the implications are. My assumption was that life would be easier (especially financially) if the state took a majority stake in this -- or bought Vidant up outright.

Like I said earlier in this thread when TDR did its article on it, I think this is a good thing especially in terms of medical research, as well as the fact that it eliminates unnecessary competition between entities that utilize the same operating tables and eat in the same cafeterias.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:51 PM

155 posts, read 235,048 times
Interesting but not surprising IMO. I think Vidant is the better run organization. I also think government run anything is not typically an asset. Again - that is typically. That said, it makes a lot of sense to merge. I was a little surprise Vidant Medical Group was about the same size as ECU Physicians. ECU has more than twice the number of clinics than VMG.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:54 PM

155 posts, read 235,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Nothing wrong with that. With the old Attic renovated for ECU office space, this Alumni Center/Hotel and the Greenville Visitor's Center all surrounding that old house, it will raise the value of it. I actually like how there are a few historic houses in downtown Greenville left. They add some character to the new buildings being added. In Wilmington, the old houses are rented for events, such as weddings/conferences and their grounds are filled with gardens. Why not have that in Greenville? Right now, the Chamber of Commerce uses one and the State Historic Preservation Office used another (not sure if they still do).

Would like to see the timeframe of the hotel construction.
I couldn't agree more HP91! Greenville has done it's best to whitewash it's entire history. I like the idea of keeping what little we have left. Greenville struggles terribly for an "identity" from an architectural perspective. I even think some of these old houses would do well as a B&B or similar. Maybe not that one right across from the hotel, but there are lots of opportunities available with our historical homes.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:24 AM

144 posts, read 189,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
Do we have a word on what the road will be called?

Stantonsburg, 10th Street, Farmville Blvd. or literally the "10th Street Connector"?
I believe the Mayor has suggested naming it for Leo Jenkins, which I agree with. It makes sense since Leo was such a driving force in the development of the University and bringing the medical school to Greenville, which resulted in the regional hospital.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:30 AM

144 posts, read 189,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
I been thinking. Once they finish the 10th St. Connector I think they should re-route NC-33 through Greenville via Stantonsburg Rd./10th Street. Have NC 33 come down on the 264 Bypass insted of up an then just route it from the Stantonburg exit. That way you have a NC route that connects the hospital, Uptown, and ECU.
I don't think most people would want more traffic on Tenth Street since students are already challenged crossing it with the traffic that is already there. The connector will already add to that traffic as will the continued development of the downtown area. Unless the town and university invests in pedestrian bridges or tunnels, it's probably not a good idea.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:15 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Today's Hot Dish is about the mini golf place ?!?! Because they serve pizza? Just do a regular story about the mini golf place opening. Crazy!

Meanwhile, nothing has been mentioned about the health food restaurant or the Taco/Tequila place coming near Best Buy (covered a couple of pages back).

Not sure about the new person doing the Hot Dish column.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina