Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 03:13 PM

192 posts, read 280,905 times

Advertisements

HP91. Those whiners and complainers still pay taxes

I visited River Park North this weekend and had a chance to set up a hammock viewing the river and dog park across the river. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how many people I saw using the Greenway. It's even more surprising given that people in this area are not real fond of weather below 60 degrees. Since there are people using the Greenway a bridge would give more access for those people to extend the trail. However, I am not that impressed with RPN. The trails are very limited (not that long) and the park itself seems to highlight the power lines more than anything. Also, it was loud and seemed very close to traffic and city life as opposed to a quiet park or wildlife area. Not to mention the toilets were disgusting and full of fecal matter and did not flush. (maybe from the flooding?)

Maybe I'm just spoiled from having untainted wilderness living in northern Michigan and northern Wisconsin most of my life. The bridge would certainly help to add to the park by connecting the Greenway. But it doesn't seem like it would add enough to justify the cost. Plus it certainly would take a LOT of money to make it a city feature. I'd rather just add a bike lane, if even. It's not really worth driving out there to walk 2-3 miles of trails. Once it warms up and I ride my bike there to camp for the weekend I'll be able to tell whether a bike lane is even worth it. To be honest the cost of just the bike lane seems a poor expenditure of money as you can still bike on the road without a dedicated bike lane. It would be nice yes. But as I've said before it's the cultural disdain for cyclist that needs to change more than the addition of bike lanes and trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 04:40 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,595,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
HP91. Those whiners and complainers still pay taxes
This. So much this.

One would be hard pressed to find any long-term, tax-paying resident of the city who wants that stupid foot bridge.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:32 PM

155 posts, read 235,048 times
Default Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Its just a funding issue really...it said they had a 2 mill grant. And if they get money from the private sector (don't forget naming rights) then its starting to add up. I think the goal for the city should be a $10 mill bridge and getting half of it from other sources. That's $5 mill for a huge greenway connection...which can be justified.

I find it funny that people complain about how much stuff costs...even the council doesn't know what costs are. You want to talk about cost...the southwest bypass is well over $200 million. So yeah, one bridge will cost $10 mill. Lots of whiners and complainers that never run for office.
I have to agree HP91. Honestly, a bike lane over the Greene Street bridge does very little if it doesn't directly connect to RPN. I think we need to consider a bridge connecting from the TC to RPN directly. That adds another value point for the TC linking it to another draw for our community - RPN. And hopefully additional development of some type. Greenville has very little that defines it other than ECU and Vidant right now. We really need a wow factor.

I was down at the TC Sunday and even with the cold day, I was floored at how popular the play area was. I can only imagine it's draw during warmer weather. Great start - now keep the interest going.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:39 PM

155 posts, read 235,048 times
LOL! G&B - I suspect there are many more people who would like that "stupid foot bridge" than you might imagine. I think RPN is an untapped resource that, if it had a direct connection (doesn't need to be a 20 million bridge), would allow it to gain interest and grow and improve.

I've been out there many times and not quite sure where all the noise is you mentioned Dr. Wickstrom. I've never heard it. Maybe it was a unique day.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:26 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,075 times
Some see it as a waste of $, others see it as an opportunity...really hard to argue either way is the correct perception. I know personally, I would use River Park North so much more if there was a bridge that went from the Town Commons directly to RPN.

I rarely ever take my kids out to RPN because honestly, I forget about it, there is not much to do and it's not convenient to drive out there when there is nothing else out in the area for kids to do. Linking the two sides would immediately be a draw for our family, we already average at least 1 visit to the playground at the Commons a week, even with the cold weather. If you don't have kids, you don't understand how great that park is for the community. My kids never want to leave, and then when we do finally pull them away, they want to go walk down by the waterfront ... something they never had interest in before the playground.

I am a firm believer that a bridge connecting the two sides would really help grown River Park North and has the potential to be a great icon for the city. With that said, I'm not sure what price is right to spend on such a thing. I don't mind my tax dollars going to a bridge down there or to redevelop the TC, because it's something I will use....but I understand many others will not get any use of of it so they don't see any value in their tax money going to something like that when we have crumbling streets at every turn...so the value is in the tax payers eye I guess. I personally see zero value in adding a bike lane on the bridge...I certainly am not going to ride my bike across the bridge and way down to the Town Commons with my kids...I'll just stick with Greenway, which is a great asset to the city by the way.

All I know, is if they are pumping the breaks based on the prices for the bathroom facility and other improvements...they'll probably throw the emergency break on the bridge unless private funding can be found.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:38 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
they'll probably throw the emergency break on the bridge unless private funding can be found.
That seems to be the whole thing in a nutshell. The city wants the bridge, but doesn't want to pay for it. Based on what I've read in the articles, it appears that unless someone else is willing to kick in a few pennies and pay for most (if not all) of it, the bridge ain't gonna happen.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:44 AM

455 posts, read 527,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Some see it as a waste of $, others see it as an opportunity...really hard to argue either way is the correct perception. I know personally, I would use River Park North so much more if there was a bridge that went from the Town Commons directly to RPN.

I rarely ever take my kids out to RPN because honestly, I forget about it, there is not much to do and it's not convenient to drive out there when there is nothing else out in the area for kids to do. Linking the two sides would immediately be a draw for our family, we already average at least 1 visit to the playground at the Commons a week, even with the cold weather. If you don't have kids, you don't understand how great that park is for the community. My kids never want to leave, and then when we do finally pull them away, they want to go walk down by the waterfront ... something they never had interest in before the playground.

I am a firm believer that a bridge connecting the two sides would really help grown River Park North and has the potential to be a great icon for the city. With that said, I'm not sure what price is right to spend on such a thing. I don't mind my tax dollars going to a bridge down there or to redevelop the TC, because it's something I will use....but I understand many others will not get any use of of it so they don't see any value in their tax money going to something like that when we have crumbling streets at every turn...so the value is in the tax payers eye I guess. I personally see zero value in adding a bike lane on the bridge...I certainly am not going to ride my bike across the bridge and way down to the Town Commons with my kids...I'll just stick with Greenway, which is a great asset to the city by the way.

All I know, is if they are pumping the breaks based on the prices for the bathroom facility and other improvements...they'll probably throw the emergency break on the bridge unless private funding can be found.
I agree with all of this. IMO, its more than simply a foot bridge and it needs to really be sold as an iconic thing for this city in addition to its practical uses. I've been to RPN once, before I had a family to fish. Its out of site out of mind for most people. I can guarantee my family would enjoy the walk over the bridge from TC to RPN quiet frequently and I would wager it is the same for many.

With regard to developing the north side of the river. Could the area where the former nightclub used to be still be developed? Even with flood issues on that side of the river, could building design mitigate the flood issues? For Example parking on the first floor(s) with the office space on top? The parking acts as stilts? Just spit balling....

Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times

The Greenville, SC bridge. Yes, it has more of a view below it, vs the Tar. I know when I lived near the Grid, I rarely went to RPN, even though I used the Greenway/TC a lot. It was too much of a hassle to drive over.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:50 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,075 times
Greenville, SC's bridge is really nothing special...it's the location, and the buildings around it that make it a scenic shot for the city. We really won't have that here, so the bridge probably needs to a little fancier if it's going to be done...I don't mean super fancy, but more than what the bridge below looks like...I don't see why they can't plan for a bridge but that could be the last step of the Town Commons renovation. Get all other aspects completed & then focus on the bridge...but I know there is that grant money I suppose they have to use or lose at some point.

Last edited by jpirate; 01-31-2017 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: er

Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Yes, the Liberty Bridge in Greenville SC is nice. it's only 345 ft. long and cost $4.5 million (funded by a tourism tax). I suppose they could do a tax of some sort on hotels (if they don't already have one) and get some money that way.

However, IMO, they can't just build the bridge and leave the section of RPN across from the TC undeveloped like it is. As others have said, the trails are pretty bad and they will need to do an extensive upgrade of the trails/greenway paths for people to want to really use that part of RPN and want to walk or bike across the bridge.

If the city could find a way to purchase some of the land off Greene Street to connect RPN and create a Green Street entrance with cabins, RV hookups, and maybe a small event center on the southwestern area of the park, that would be ideal. I'm not sure how much it would work with it being flood prone, but I would assume it could be done .

I do think there should be more development north of the river. Problem is that that area has been flooded quite a bit over the years. I assume that it could be redeveloped, but the land may need to be built up to prevent flooded businesses. With the GUC moving in a couple of years, It would be possible for some big redevelopment of that site. It would take something really major in that area to get redevelopment started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina