Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 01:30 PM

893 posts, read 1,342,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The old Los Charos Mexican Restaurant and recently the South American restaurant (formerly Perkins) that I mentioned the other day - with the fence around it - has been demolished. Wonder what's going there?
RIP - that spot has been a dead man walking for restaurants ever since Perkins closed. It's probably for the best that it is being torn down. Being across from the Convention Center - it's the only positive for that location.

It would probably do OK if it was a popular chain restaurant of some sort. Hooters should really move uptown, their restaurant is in a blaaa spot.

I'll go ahead throw down $20 on the odds it's a Mattress Store or a Cell Phone Store.

Last edited by jpirate; 06-27-2017 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 03:16 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
ECU names dean for the Brody School of Medicine

East Carolina University has named Dr. Mark Stacy as the new dean for the Brody School of Medicine.
Stacy also will serve as senior associate vice chancellor for medical affairs for the Division of Health Sciences, according to a news release issued today.

The appointment of Stacy to these roles was approved today by the ECU board of trustees during a special called meeting. Stacy also will hold a tenured professorship in Brody’s Department of Internal Medicine when he joins ECU on Sept. 1. His salary will be $600,000.

Since 2011, Stacy has served as vice dean for clinical research at Duke University School of Medicine. In this role, he created and now directs the Duke Office of Clinical Research, which provides oversight for more than 6,800 clinical research projects. He also leads the Duke Human Research Protection Program, Duke’s Institutional Review Board, the institution’s Conflict of Interest Committee and Regulatory Affairs Office.

Stacy’s appointment follows a long and rigorous national search, said ECU Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences Phyllis Horns.
“We are thrilled to have a person of Dr. Stacy’s caliber joining us,” Horns said. “His personal leadership style, impeccable character and integrity are a perfect fit with Brody’s mission and bright future. We are incredibly excited about what’s in store for the medical school – and the region – under his leadership.”

“For more than 40 years, the Brody School of Medicine has fulfilled its legislated mandate to produce primary care and other physicians for rural and underserved areas of North Carolina, and it has been nationally recognized for its success,” said ECU Chancellor Cecil Staton. “With the appointment of Dr. Mark Stacy as Brody’s sixth dean, ECU has added a widely recognized talent who is committed to continued national leadership. Dr. Stacy’s academic success and expertise in medicine and research uniquely qualify him to lead Brody into the future and to establish ECU as America’s next great national university.”

Stacy also is a professor of neurology and chief of the Movement Disorders Division at Duke, the release said. He has been a member of the Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders Society since 1990, as well as a member of the society’s international executive committee and co-editor of its newsletter. He has served as a member of the executive committee of the Parkinson Study Group – the largest not-for-profit scientific network of Parkinson’s centers in North America – and is a fellow of the American Academy of Neurology and American Neurological Association.

Before his service at Duke, Stacy was director of the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center in Phoenix. He earned his medical degree at the University of Missouri, then completed an internship in internal medicine at St. Mary’s Hospital in St. Louis, a residency in neurology at Hahnemann (now Drexel) University in Philadelphia and a fellowship in Parkinson’s disease and movement disorders at Baylor College of Medicine in Texas.

His clinical and research interests include motor and non-motor symptoms in Parkinson’s disease. He has published more than 250 manuscripts and one book, “The Handbook of Dystonia.”

“I’m excited that Dr. Mark Stacy has been named the dean of the Brody School of Medicine,” said Dr. Michael Waldrum, chief executive officer for Vidant Health. “His leadership, knowledge and passion for research, collaboration and partnership will benefit the patients, families and communities we jointly serve.”

“I am honored to join East Carolina University as the dean of the Brody School of Medicine, and I look forward to being a part of the Greenville community,” Stacy said. “The institution has a great history and tremendous future, and I am excited for the opportunity to serve the faculty and students in the medical school. I also look forward to partnering with Vidant Medical Group and Vidant Health to identify synergies and develop programs to achieve our common goal of providing the best health care possible to the people of eastern North Carolina.”

Dr. Nicholas Benson, the school of medicine’s vice dean, has served as interim dean since Dr. Paul Cunningham stepped down from the leadership post in September.

ECU names dean for the Brody School of Medicine - Daily Reflector
____

Sounds like a big get for ECU. Hopefully he ramps up the research dollars at Brody

Old 06-28-2017, 07:00 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
Councilman P.J. Connelly announces his run for Greenville mayor

Old 06-28-2017, 07:17 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,898 times
Thank goodness. I certainly have not always sided with PJ on various issues during his time on the city council...but I'd feel a million times better about PJ than I would Mercer or Smith! Glad he's running.

Last edited by jpirate; 06-28-2017 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: w

Old 06-28-2017, 07:43 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Thank goodness. I certainly have not always sided with PJ on various issues during his time on the city council...but I'd feel a million times better about PJ than I would Mercer or Smith! Glad he's running.
I was on the phone yesterday with a friend of mine that lives in Greenville and she was NOT happy at the possibility of Kandie becoming mayor. She called Kandie every name in the book, none of which were terms of endearment. Boy, I walked into that one! My ears are still ringing...

Old 06-28-2017, 12:56 PM

112 posts, read 136,294 times
Quote:
I agree whole heartedly! Let's hope he can win it come November.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:52 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
Where are the Fayetteville SwampDogs going once Buies Creek Astros move to Fayetteville? Could be something for Greenville to target for a summer ball league.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:04 PM

25 posts, read 35,673 times
Quote:
RIP - that spot has been a dead man walking for restaurants ever since Perkins closed. It's probably for the best that it is being torn down. Being across from the Convention Center - it's the only positive for that location.

It would probably do OK if it was a popular chain restaurant of some sort. Hooters should really move uptown, their restaurant is in a blaaa spot.

I'll go ahead throw down $20 on the odds it's a Mattress Store or a Cell Phone Store.

The property was purchased by Halle properties of Scottsdale AZ which owns Discount Tire so it looks like it will be a tire shop.

http://gis.pittcountync.gov/opis/

Last edited by Gvillejb; 06-28-2017 at 09:17 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 09:16 PM

25 posts, read 35,673 times
Looks like they will be adding to the strip center by the Wal Mart on Tenth. Looks like only store so far will be Soffee.

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/5B304...64102A351F.pdf

Old 06-28-2017, 09:19 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,631 times
Discount Tire is actually a good chain. Glad to see them come to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina