Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2017, 05:41 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times

Advertisements

Greenville & ECU Police reach jurisdiction expanding agreement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 05:47 PM

144 posts, read 189,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Well my grandmother lives in Tarboro and comes to Greenville for everything so you sir, are wrong.
Exactly! I grew up five miles from Rocky Mount, and that was only 35 miles from Greenville. The Edgecombe County line on NC 43 must be only 15-20 miles from Greenville. My mom lived in Tarboro after I graduated and she frequently drove to Greenville to shop and I'm pretty sure that's not that uncommon.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:27 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Upgraded traffic light at 14th/Greenville Blvd.

Signal work part of safety upgrade - Daily Reflector

Quote:
Crews went to work Thursday upgrading traffic signals at the intersection of Greenville Boulevard and 14th Street.

According to Steve Hamilton, a traffic engineer with the North Carolina Department of Transportation, the crews were upgrading the existing signals to the four-light units being used around the state.

Hamilton said changes for the intersection include a separate signal for every lane and a four-light signal with a flashing yellow turn signal for the left turn lanes on Greenville Boulevard in both directions, and the southbound left turn lane on 14th Street.

The department was making the switch to the four-light heads wherever possible because they resulted in a better compliance level and reduce crashes. He said this upgrade was part of a $157,000 spot safety project funded by the state for this intersection and the intersection at Red Banks and Charles Boulevard.

Both intersections were selected by the NCDOT because they reported an above average amount of collision and motorist ignoring the signal.

The signals at Red Banks and Charles Boulevard were upgraded earlier this year after the NCDOT concluded that the advanced warning signal for the nearby fire station was confusing motorists and causing them to run the red light.

Hamilton said part of the upgrade was removing the advanced signal, and he said they have not heard about any problems since.

Crews worked the intersection in four bucket trucks through the day while a Greenville Police Department officer directed traffic. The work was completed by 4 p.m.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:29 PM

378 posts, read 418,403 times
I wish the 264 interchange, (where the southwest bypass begins) got 2 or 3 flyover ramps. This cloverleaf interchange is soon gonna be an issue in the future.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:32 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
What does everyone think of revamping 5th St (from Washington St to Reade St) to a pedestrian mall?

Old 09-01-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
What does everyone think of revamping 5th St (from Washington St to Reade St) to a pedestrian mall?
Let's not relive history.

Evans Street once was a pedestrian mall and everyone rejoiced when it was torn up. I think 1997ish.

edit: it was demolished in 1999

you can sort of see it in this picture
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2d&oe=5A58F2EC

Last edited by GarnetAndBlack; 09-01-2017 at 10:16 PM..

Old 09-01-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Let's not relive history.

Evans Street once was a pedestrian mall and everyone rejoiced when it was torn up. I think 1997ish.

edit: it was demolished in 1999

you can sort of see it in this picture
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2d&oe=5A58F2EC
I’ve been in talks with Bianca Shoneman of Uptown Greenville and she also suggested that pedestrian malls haven’t worked in Greenville but didn’t list exactly where it was. Uptown Greenville was a different place back then — it would work on 5th Street. Frankly, it was inane to ever think Evans St would be a great location for it with its law firms, courthouse, and dead nighttime scene — the same doesn’t apply for 5th St. With the theater opening in the future, Stilllife Expanding, ECU being at the end of the street, and etc, it can bustle with life IF the city were to develop it in an attractive way.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:18 PM

It would not work on 5th Street. Who wants to drive around several blocks to get from ECU/east Greenville to the Five Points area?

Old 09-01-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
It would not work on 5th Street. Who wants to drive around several blocks to get from ECU/east Greenville to the Five Points area?
The streets that cross over 5th Street would still be available to drive on. It’s not like 5th St has any parking in the first place. What exactly are people driving down 5th Street for? I usually park on Evans then walk to 5th Street because there is no parking on it in the first place yet, it’s one of the busiest Uptown streets for pedestrian activity from my limited observations.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:29 PM

I often drive down that part of 5th. I'm not stopping there but passing through to other places around that part of Greenville. It's slow but it's better than going up a block and coming back down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina