Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 06:36 AM

889 posts, read 1,328,164 times

Advertisements

Board approves proposal for another student housing development in Greenville

Approved! I’m excited about this. I was wrong about the parking deck earlier, there is one included and retail space. Will really clean up that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 08:05 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,530,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post

Approved! I’m excited about this. I was wrong about the parking deck earlier, there is one included and retail space. Will really clean up that area.
Jeez, that is a monster development. 800 beds. Surprised it even got approved with all the "issues" there are with student housing. The reflector article says the project will look like a single building, but will be comprised of 3 separate buildings ranging from 5-8 stories, so that's a pretty big deal.

As far as the alumni center/hotel goes, I"m not sure what would be best. Would a major hotel still be interested in coming downtown without the alumni center attached? It may make it easier to do something without ECU directly involved. Maybe build a standard hotel with a standard level of meeting/event space. It seems to me it would have made sense for ECU to find a space in the new student center they're almost done with. Or in the "one stop" building they're going to start construction on. I think ECU could use the houses as office space for faculty and other administration. If the chancellor's house is too small to host small functions, it certainly would be too small to be an alumni event center.

I think a hotel could certainly spring up along 9th street. Maybe right at the corner of 9th & Dickinson, that way it's directly across from the Imperial site. Maybe a Fairfield Inn or Towneplace level of hotel.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:08 AM

71 posts, read 288,926 times
My family built and owned the two houses that face 14 street at the intersection of Glen Arthur and 14th next to the old gas station. My grandparents, and my dad grew up there. I spent a ton of time there as well. Quite a few years ago after they passed it was bought by Max Joyner, and has become a dump since, nothing but a bunch of college kids who couldn't care less about destroying the property. This plan for that neighborhood is bittersweet. My whole childhood was there, but....it's an eyesore now for sure. Can't stand in the way of progress anyway.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:24 AM

89 posts, read 129,300 times
Hopefully, with all the student housing uptown, outlier development numbers will dwindle (maybe sell and become market rate housing). Although there should be more market rate housing uptown, it only makes more sense for student housing to be near the university.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:32 PM

449 posts, read 515,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post

The additional student housing is a touch of concern, but the parking deck and retail space is great and will substantially change that pocket and neighborhood I would imagine. The commercial space across the street will be thrilled.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:34 AM

Economic development tops City Council's list of priorities - Daily Reflector

Quote:
Economic development, better infrastructure and stronger arts and entertainment offerings are the three highest priorities of the Greenville City Council.

During the second day of their annual planning session, the new council sat down to update the council’s list of goals and priorities for 2018-20. The council was led through the process by Carl Stenberg, with the UNC school of government, on Saturday morning, after spending the previous night receiving an update on where the city was in terms of opportunities and challenges.

City Manager Ann Wall said at the end of the session that having a list of priorities and spending the time for the council to talk through them was vital for the city staff to operate efficiently.

“From a manager’s perspective, the ability of the council to coalesce around a set of priorities is awesome,” she said. “It will help my staff in so many ways to understand the work and body of work we need to do, it will really help us while we’re talking to priorities to be able to say “This is a high priority for our council, we have to get this done, so how do we get there.”

The need to update the list of priorities was in part due to city staff’s success in accomplishing several of the priorities listed by City Council for 2016-18. Of the 10 priorities listed, four — installing red light cameras, forming a long-term debt strategy, creating a virtual building to respond to interested developers, and the creation of a South Side Police Precinct — were completed. Another goal, the formation of a local farmer’s market, was struck from the list after a staff presentation showed vendor attendance indicated the market is, for now, not sustainable.

The remaining five priorities either were continued, amended or combined with similar priorities in the formation of a new list.

At the top of the council’s new list of priorities is proactive economic development, based on a presentation given Friday night by city staff. At the end of his presentation, Christian Lockamy, senior economic developer for the department, gave staff seven recommendations for improving economic development in the city. The recommendations, which include exploring building industrial parks, shell buildings and forming formal economic partnerships with the university and county, were folded into the top priority, and staff is expected to form action steps to accomplishing each one. In his presentation, Lockamy said the city and county do no have the resources that would be beneficial in attracting a larger business, and by changing their focus to industrial companies and financing space for interested companies it may be more successful.

Other recommendations by Lockamy included extending the outdoor dining policy to areas like Dickenson Avenue, creating a job-creation grant, streamlining the permitting process and implementing recommendations of a parking study to be presented to the Council in February.

The council’s second highest priority is improving infrastructure throughout Greenville, specifically sidewalks and roads. The council tasked the city to continue finding funding for various improvements, and to begin talks with the county about improvements on roads that go in and out of city control, such as Portertown Road.

The third priority is offering stronger arts and entertainment throughout Greenville. This is partially a continuation of a 2016-18 priority which entered a contract with the Pitt County Arts Council to develop art initiatives. The updated priority includes a general push for more entertainment options throughout the downtown area and the creation of a Greenville performing arts center if the possibility arises.

Members of the council agreed that these would be the top three priorities, because they were so closely related to their overall priority of economic development.

The fourth priority was designated as the cleanliness and beautification of Greenville. Members of the council used this priority to urge recommendations fon how to both increase the visual appearance of the city — especially at its entrances, but also rectify areas that have accumulated garbage or are generally unclean.

The fifth priority is a continued focus on upgrading the city stormwater system. The item designates the council’s commitment to continued funding and rectification of stormwater concerns, though it was noted by members of the council this was not a priority that could be completed within the next two years.

Similarly, the sixth priority was to complete the Town Common Master plan. Currently, the plan is continuing with the installation of the kayak launch, Sycamore Hill Gateway project, fishing pier, playground and bathroom facilities, but work on replacing the bulkhead, amphitheater placement and parking have yet to be planned and financed.

The seventh priority is a combination of two previous priority items — increasing river access and the Tar River legacy plan. Combined, the priority urges staff to continue finding ways for the city to utilize the Tar River for the benefit of citizens, whether that be more boat access, river overlooks or riverside parks.

The final priority is the installation and replacement of street light bulbs to LED bulbs in the city. The priority is a direct carryover from the 2016- 18. According to Kevin Mulligan, director of the public works department, the city has transitioned or replaced about 18 percent of the lights in the city. Police Chief Mark Holtzman said that in certain areas that the LED bulbs have been installed, such as parts of west Greenville, the department has seen a 19 percent reduction in crime.

In addition to these eight priorities, the city council also identified five general goals for the city. The goals are:

• Building safe communities;
• Building great places to live — that incorporate complete neighborhoods that are green and resilient, creating a healthy and vibrant city
• Growing as the economic hub of eastern North Carolina through partnerships and the proactive recruitment of businesses;
• Enhancing accessible transportation networks and public building infrastructure development;
• Building a high-performing government organization and governing with transparency and fiscal responsibility.

The exact wording of the goals has yet to be determined by the city.

Using the goals and priorities, City Manager Ann Wall said she and the city staff would take the lists and begin forming exact action steps. Additionally, the city will update the council each quarter on the progress of each priority. Wall stressed that just because something may be been left off the list of priories, did not mean it would not be accomplished or executed with the same amount of professionalism.

“We’re still open for business in everything we do every day, there are still other things we want to work on.,” she said.

Contact Seth Gulledge at sgulledge@reflector.com and 329-9579.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:23 AM

7,176 posts, read 6,720,453 times
ECU Chancellor says residence issue is a distraction - Daily Reflector

Old 01-30-2018, 08:08 AM

Results of the city council's big planning meeting this past weekend.

http://greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=13853

Facilitator's report.

http://greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=14341

Old 01-30-2018, 10:03 AM

889 posts, read 1,328,164 times
Sup Dogs is expanding...

Uptown Greenville | Sup Dogs Restaurant Announces Rooftop Expansion

I was really hoping to just see that corner demolished & rebuilt, but this is nice. I wish the owner of the Stop Shop would invest a little money into the outside facade of the building. =

Old 01-30-2018, 11:23 AM

Ugh. I agree jpirate. That corner needs to be demolished & rebuilt.

That looks good. But would look even better with a building the size & design of the Carolina Ale House by the mall or the one in DT Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina