U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 14,726 times

Advertisements

My son and his young wife and new born daughter will be moving to Jacksonville NC very soon. He is a Marine and will be gone alot where are some of the safest places they can rent an apartment untill base housing comes available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 PM

8 posts, read 25,189 times
My husband is a Marine reservist & I completely understand your concern. He'll be switching to active duty at the end of the year so I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm paranoid about living alone while he's gone (done it once already) & am very concerned with finding safe housing until base housing is available. I've been to Jacksonville before & saw some apartment complexes, but can't tell you anything first hand. You'd expect an all Marine city to be safe, but if you've looked at the crime statistics on here its not really the case. Thing is apartments are always bad no matter where you live. When you get that many people together in one place you're going to have bad seeds; doesn't matter how expensive they are. My suggestion (and what I'm going to do) is to find a rental & have a security system. If they have a new born, you have to consider that apartments have 2 or 3 stories & its difficult doing things (esp alone) while carrying a baby. If they have a dog, it will have to be walked at night. All things to consider. A rental in a safe (maybe gated) neighborhood is probably better (of course until base housing becomes available). If an apartment is necessary look for ratings on them first (very helpful info).

Old 03-18-2009, 02:22 PM

263 posts, read 973,559 times
The Marines offer a great deal of support for folks who are relocating. There are lots of support services for military spouses.

Jacksonville is not exactly the big city and if you look at the crime data, it's below average. We were there a month ago for my job interview and will be moving there in May. It's a pleasant town and rental costs are very reasonable compared to lots of places.

My husband was deployed for six months during our first year of marriage. Other training during that year took him away for another 6 weeks. I was fine and your relatives will be fine, too.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 14,726 times
Thanks to you both KC223 and goi_cuon. It's been over 20 yrs since I have been to Jacksonville my ex was also a Marine but we got lucky and got base housing pretty quick. Good luck to you both and I will pass your helpful info on to my daughter-in-law I am sure it will ease her tensions a bit.

Thanks again.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 8,153 times
Jacksonville has change from night to day in the last 20 years.. It is a safe and friendly town now.. Most, if not all of the ugliness has been cleaned up..
The Commons has some wonderful apts., with management office on site.. Two or three different complexes.. On Western blvd extension,there are also some very nice apts.. Also on Western, a new complex is under construction.. All have nice amenities, such as pool, work out rooms and play areas.. All allow pets, for a bit extra per month..
There is wonderful shopping and restaurants here..
Truly a nice friendly place to live..

Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 PM

263 posts, read 973,559 times
Is there a better place to find discussion about the area? I can't find much in the way of online discussion for the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyticky2 View Post
Jacksonville has change from night to day in the last 20 years.. It is a safe and friendly town now.. Most, if not all of the ugliness has been cleaned up..
The Commons has some wonderful apts., with management office on site.. Two or three different complexes.. On Western blvd extension,there are also some very nice apts.. Also on Western, a new complex is under construction.. All have nice amenities, such as pool, work out rooms and play areas.. All allow pets, for a bit extra per month..
There is wonderful shopping and restaurants here..
Truly a nice friendly place to live..

Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 AM

23 posts, read 73,461 times
Okay, not sure what happened to my reply...it's Monday.Apartments that are safe and nice to rent include.1. The Reserve at Jacksonville Commons2. Abbington Place Apartments (Jacksonville Commons)3. Charleston Place Apartments (Jacksonville Commons)4. Puller Place Apartments (Carolina Forest area off Western Ext.)5. Windsor Place Apartments (Off Western Ext.)6. Summer 2009 - Arlington Place ApartmentsI have friends (military, young families..etc) of all backgrounds who live in the first five and they have NEVER felt unsafe...whether alone or with their spouse. 3 friends are single females living alone.Also, there are plenty of new town homes and single family homes for rent. If you need help please reply... I grew up a military brat myself. Also, because of my job I know Onslow County inside out!!!! Don't hesitate to ask any question...I will be glad to help.DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE RENT WITH....1. Town Center Homes I MEAN IT... NOT SAFE AT ALL!!!!!!!

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina