U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedrockRanger View Post
Hi all!!

Okay I have to share my opinion on this matter. I grew up in Jacksonville NC and lived there for a total of 21 years.(Now I live in beautiful Colorado.) I love family and friends that I have there BUT being a father of four children (3,6,11,12) I cannot stress enough how crumby a place it is. First off as far as kids go there isnt enough things to do so therefore kids WILL find OTHER things to do. Believe me I know I am speaking from experience. Everything to do there is all about shopping or eating. Recreation is not Coastal NCs finer point. Sure you can go to the beach but in most cases you are paying too much for parking just to go to a crowded place. The beach is really in my mind the only attraction that Coastal NC has,apart from a few historic forts and aquatic displays. (Which all cost money) During this economic down time people that want to have fun without spending money are left with only parks to go to.(which are always over crowded) Another option that MOST North Carolinians take is staying at home drinking beer and watching TV. (Nascar) To me that just seems a waste of time. You can tell a healthy city from a unhealthy city by looking at its people. Now I am not casting judgments on the entire town but there is a majority of overweight people around there. (which means they choose to watch TV) I cant blame anyone for that chioce because there is really nothing else to do there. In fact NC is one of the MOST overweight places in america.(Go figure) On a good note southern food IS quite tasty and there are lots of places to get some good ol' BBQ.

Okay enough about recreation. Lets talk about Jacksonvilles MAIN Draw back. MARINES. Now I wont go further untill I say this. I respect our Military people and am thankful that we have such a strong military BUT I wish while they train the young "boots" they would also teach them respect and honor. That being said Jacksonville has a huge presence of Young marines there and needless to say with that comes many many problems. Getting back to RESPECT HONOR and the lack thereof. I can say this when you couple young men within a town thats recreationally deprived you get nothing but trouble. the murder rate there is at an all time high. Just watch the news. You will be sure to hear a story a night about some drunk marine killing an innocent bystander or a wife of a marine being brutally killed or something like that. Not to mention the militarys sexual offenders that reside there. Jacksonville has a plethora of strip clubs bars and pawn shops. None of which I would suggest bring your lovely wife to unless you want to get into some sort of confrontation. Reguardless of that the night life is to say the least filled with slimeballs EVERYWHERE. I WOULD suggest going to places that have Blacklisted (banned) Marines because of the trouble they cause on a regular basis. Thats where you can relax and have somewhat of a good time without the bother of those pesky GAWKING Marines. Remember the blacklist.

Lastly lets talk about the pay rate there. For an average Joe the pay scale is much much lower then most places in our wonderful country. Gas and food prices are through the roof. Everything in jacksonville is based on the Militarys pay but to be a civilian in Jacksonville means you better have a college degree and a great job. Jacksonville relys on Marines to keep the town going because normal people can barely afford to live with the prices there. EVERY place has a military discount but no discounts for the ppl that make that town go round.

Well there it is. The truth. I havent heard from someone about that place I have lived there. I know this.

So to sum up the NEGITAVE: YOUNG MARINES,A lack of things to do,high crime rate, Low pay rate, no scenery but trees, too much rain, Humidity, more bugs then you can imagine,YOUNG MARINES, Terrible health care, overpriced housing, no attractions, Noisy low flying helicopters, nothing for the children, dirty city layout and young marines...

The positive: Fishing,cheap beer, lots of TV shows, nice older people, beautiful town in the rear view mirror driving away.

Well if you made it thus far I commend you! Remember this, if you choose to live in Jacksonville it doesnt matter where you come from you are making a huge mistake. at least look at surrounding places like wilmington or further south in SC.

Thanks for your time.
PS!! To any young marines that are offended, take a good look at yourself and remember this: you are only a clone for the government and untill you see the truth thats all you'll ever be. Smile!
Whoever you are, you are disgraceful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 05:02 AM

196 posts, read 500,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedrockRanger View Post
Hi all!!

Okay I have to share my opinion on this matter. I grew up in Jacksonville NC and lived there for a total of 21 years.
Spoken like someone who never wore the uniform to serve our country.

Thanks to those that serve and protect our freedoms.

Much of your rant could also apply to college towns. Young people will be young people.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:12 AM

375 posts, read 803,470 times
Umm we live in Colorado and visited Jacksonville a few years back. There was a lot to do and (except for all the Gruntz videos,lol), we appreciated having the Marines there. It made us feel pretty safe, and every one of them that we saw or met was very respectful...just like u would expect from the Marines...there is a lot to do out here in Colorado but there seems to be a lot to do in ENC, you just have to be the type of person who makes those things happen....like fishing, hunting, kayaking, shelling and so on. I think both areas are great. Only part pf your post that concerned me was the comment about
Quote:
You will be sure to hear a story a night about some drunk marine killing an innocent bystander or a wife of a marine being brutally killed or something like that. Not to mention the militarys sexual offenders that reside there.
???

Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,346,320 times
Just PCS from Lejeune to PA and I will admit I miss being around my Marine Corps. I miss the base, my neighbors, most of the atmosphere, and believe it or not the BASE. Swansboro and Croatan would be the most ethical area to raise children. If you can stomach the TRAFFIC and the lack of highway\expressways you will be satisfied with that chunk of location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina