Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 11,018 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family and me are moving next august to nc my husband will be station in camp lejeune, we live in a nice neighborhood where the best high school in the city is located at so i'd like to find a nice neighborhood, family friendly... nice houses tell me the name so we can go and look around, i've hear jackson ville city, my husband don't care to drive 45 min to get to base

Last edited by mm34b; 03-19-2009 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 02:10 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Smile Try Cape Carteret, Cedar Point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARLAMATOS View Post
Hi, my family and me are moving next august to nc my husband will be station in camp lejeune, we live in a nice neighborhood where the best high school in the city is located at so i'd like to find a nice neighborhood, family friendly... nice houses tell me the name so we can go and look around, i've hear jackson ville city, my husband don't care to drive 45 min to get to base
Try Cape Carteret, Cedar Point, Highway 24 area. There are some very nice homes in that area. Depending on what you are looking for, I could recommend some specific subdivisions. North Star Hill in Cape Carteret has a number of young Marine families and offers good value in new construction.

That area (and Emerald Isle) all feed into Croatan High School which was recently named one of the top 600 high schools in the US.

This is a map of the area. The areas that I mentioned would 20-30 minutes of the back gate at Lejeune.

You could look farther down towards Morehead City and probably still be within 45 minutes of the back gate. At a certain point along Highway 24 the school zone changes. You can check the school attendance zones at this link.

This is why I love the area, and an index of posts about the area.

These are pictures that I took over at beach at Emerald Isle yesterday and from my kayak on the White Oak River around sunset.

It's shorts weather here today. Let me know if I can provide you more information.

Last edited by dsobotta; 03-19-2009 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: duplicate word

Old 03-23-2009, 02:24 PM

267 posts, read 1,122,965 times
How is the commute from N Topsail Beach to LeJeune?

Old 03-28-2009, 06:29 PM

148 posts, read 611,113 times
There are some very nice subdivisions in and around Jacksonville, a few are Carolina Forest, and Sterling Farms...These are large subdivisions that are tastefully done.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:44 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goi_cuon View Post
How is the commute from N Topsail Beach to LeJeune?
I think it's around 30 minutes.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:38 PM

4 posts, read 37,399 times
Default Dont do it! Divorce rate Higher there then anywhere!!!

Hi all!!

Okay I have to share my opinion on this matter. I grew up in Jacksonville NC and lived there for a total of 21 years.(Now I live in beautiful Colorado.) I love family and friends that I have there BUT being a father of four children (3,6,11,12) I cannot stress enough how crumby a place it is. First off as far as kids go there isnt enough things to do so therefore kids WILL find OTHER things to do. Believe me I know I am speaking from experience. Everything to do there is all about shopping or eating. Recreation is not Coastal NCs finer point. Sure you can go to the beach but in most cases you are paying too much for parking just to go to a crowded place. The beach is really in my mind the only attraction that Coastal NC has,apart from a few historic forts and aquatic displays. (Which all cost money) During this economic down time people that want to have fun without spending money are left with only parks to go to.(which are always over crowded) Another option that MOST North Carolinians take is staying at home drinking beer and watching TV. (Nascar) To me that just seems a waste of time. You can tell a healthy city from a unhealthy city by looking at its people. Now I am not casting judgments on the entire town but there is a majority of overweight people around there. (which means they choose to watch TV) I cant blame anyone for that chioce because there is really nothing else to do there. In fact NC is one of the MOST overweight places in america.(Go figure) On a good note southern food IS quite tasty and there are lots of places to get some good ol' BBQ.

Okay enough about recreation. Lets talk about Jacksonvilles MAIN Draw back. MARINES. Now I wont go further untill I say this. I respect our Military people and am thankful that we have such a strong military BUT I wish while they train the young "boots" they would also teach them respect and honor. That being said Jacksonville has a huge presence of Young marines there and needless to say with that comes many many problems. Getting back to RESPECT HONOR and the lack thereof. I can say this when you couple young men within a town thats recreationally deprived you get nothing but trouble. the murder rate there is at an all time high. Just watch the news. You will be sure to hear a story a night about some drunk marine killing an innocent bystander or a wife of a marine being brutally killed or something like that. Not to mention the militarys sexual offenders that reside there. Jacksonville has a plethora of strip clubs bars and pawn shops. None of which I would suggest bring your lovely wife to unless you want to get into some sort of confrontation. Reguardless of that the night life is to say the least filled with slimeballs EVERYWHERE. I WOULD suggest going to places that have Blacklisted (banned) Marines because of the trouble they cause on a regular basis. Thats where you can relax and have somewhat of a good time without the bother of those pesky GAWKING Marines. Remember the blacklist.

Lastly lets talk about the pay rate there. For an average Joe the pay scale is much much lower then most places in our wonderful country. Gas and food prices are through the roof. Everything in jacksonville is based on the Militarys pay but to be a civilian in Jacksonville means you better have a college degree and a great job. Jacksonville relys on Marines to keep the town going because normal people can barely afford to live with the prices there. EVERY place has a military discount but no discounts for the ppl that make that town go round.

Well there it is. The truth. I havent heard from someone about that place I have lived there. I know this.

So to sum up the NEGITAVE: YOUNG MARINES,A lack of things to do,high crime rate, Low pay rate, no scenery but trees, too much rain, Humidity, more bugs then you can imagine,YOUNG MARINES, Terrible health care, overpriced housing, no attractions, Noisy low flying helicopters, nothing for the children, dirty city layout and young marines...

The positive: Fishing,cheap beer, lots of TV shows, nice older people, beautiful town in the rear view mirror driving away.

Well if you made it thus far I commend you! Remember this, if you choose to live in Jacksonville it doesnt matter where you come from you are making a huge mistake. at least look at surrounding places like wilmington or further south in SC.

Thanks for your time.
PS!! To any young marines that are offended, take a good look at yourself and remember this: you are only a clone for the government and untill you see the truth thats all you'll ever be. Smile!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 10,749 times
Default Jacksonville

I would suggest western Carteret county for the schools. Croatan is highly rated in the state. Students there recieved over 1.6 million in Scholarships
last year. There are many activites around and some great kids to hang with. Oh yeah, we have the Beach. We have raised two kids here and they have done great.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 10,411 times
Actually USA today named Jacksonville one of the top ten places to live in North Carolina based on: crime stats, schools, pay and standard of living. For every 1 YOUNG MARINE who kills someone there are 10 townies who do the same thing. I would suggest the southwest area by New River. The commute with the bypass is ten minutes to get to the frontgate line. Hubert is also a nice area and 10 minutes from piney green gate and roughly the same for the back gate. Sand Ridge Elm. has made its AYP the last two years. However the most affordable housing if you are buying is in the southwest area. If you want a nice area. There are several nice little communities off of Hawes Run and Dawson Cabin Rd. We live in Oakhurst Estates and are very happy with the neighborhood. It is quite a commute from North Topsail, and Cateret county. He will be driving more than 30 minutes one way.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:05 AM

148 posts, read 611,113 times
I was perusing down Dawson Cabin Rd. yesterday in fact.....Fieldstone subdivison looks very nice, and there is another down Dawson I drove thru...Kantors Ridge may be the name...And there more down in that area as well...

But I will differ on Cape Carteret...It is only 25 mins to the front gat of Lejeune...I drive it often....Western Carteret IMHO has the best schools, followed by Swansboro schools....SW Onslow has alot of new schools there, I do not know there school grades....But you can access all that thru my website, as well as, visit the Onslow county schools website...

If schools are important, then gather all relevant facts about each system, visit them and see what they are like.....that is what I did for my family...

Old 05-24-2009, 07:30 AM

52 posts, read 139,280 times
Quote:
Actually USA today named Jacksonville one of the top ten places to live in North Carolina based on: crime stats, schools, pay and standard of living.
They must have been doing drugs when they named this one of the top ten in NC. I will say I have heard the crime stats are not all that bad here, but the rest? I'm sure there are better schools and better paying jobs elsewhere. It's true, without a college education and experience and the needed skills, jobs do not pay.

If you choose to live in Jacksonville (where at least there are some things to do besides the beach-albeit limited), The landing at Hunter's Creek is a very nice subdivision with an HOA and a pool. Mostly officers-some stuffy neighbors, but most are nice. And yes-a pool. These are rare in this area, considering how warm it gets here. You can walk and bike in the neighborhood and there are lots of trees unlike some of the newer subdivisions. And be careful about the highschools. I heard some do have major problems. I have heard the best high school in Jacksonville is White Oak. Swansboro HS is supposed to be very good also, but I've heard the middle school has problems. You really have to think about how much of a commute you want, how far you want to drive to get your kids to sporting activities/dance classes, etc. If your kids are at the driving age, they may not want to be far out. There is a great community college in Jax where highschoolers can take some classes as well. My kids did not get in trouble here. It is a bit boring, but one has to be more creative then.

If your H is in the military, you may choose to live on base. I've heard Lejeune HS is a very good one. It also means that you don't have a choice as to whether you move here or not.

I posted the pros and cons on another thread. You may want to look through some other things that people wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina