U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-20-2009, 04:38 AM

2 posts, read 7,483 times
Default Porters Neck Plantation

We have been looking at homes in Porters Neck Plantation and are wondering about the demographics of this community. We are in our mid-thirties with two young children. We love the beauty of the PNP, but we would also like our chidren to have friends to play with in the neighborhood.

We are new to the area, but need to live on the Porters Neck end of town. We would love feedback and insight regarding living on PNP as well as surrounding homes and neighborhoods. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 PM

217 posts, read 771,583 times
You may want to try Marsh Oaks. I think there are a lot of young families in that neighborhood. I personally think of more retirees living in Porter's Neck Plantation but I could be wrong. Also, I think there are some neighborhoods a little North of Porter's Neck off of Futch Creek Road that have a lot of families. I live in Ogden and it seems like the area is very popular for young families. Good luck with your move

Old 03-20-2009, 03:40 PM

49 posts, read 97,384 times
Porter's Neck Plantation is NOT for you!!! It is ALL retirees. Porter's Neck is a beautiful area but it's not a young family kind of place. We live in Marsh Oaks which is less than 5min from Porter's neck. Ton and tons of kids and animals!! Lovely club house, pool and tennis court. Every holiday there is a block party somewhere! Also, there are many different price ranges and style within M.O.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 7,483 times
Thanks so much for the insight! We take it into account as we move forward in the house hunting process. Thanks again!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,736 times
Default Porter's Neck Plantation

My husband is retiring and we want to relocate to the coastal North Carolina area. We have visited St James Plantation, Brunswick Forest, Magnolia Greens and Porter's Neck. We really liked Porter's Neck and its proximity to Wilmington. I am looking for coments/recommendations re buying in Porters Neck as opposed to the more remote area of St James which we also did like, but are concerned about its location. Suggestions appreciated.
Upstate New Yorker--smr

Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 PM

15 posts, read 23,425 times
Vineyard plantation is right up the road from PNP and there are tons of families, highly recommend the neighborhood, it is where we live and we love it (3 year old and 1 year old)

Old 10-29-2012, 10:44 AM

306 posts, read 225,492 times
We also are looking around Wilmington - went to several plantations down near Southport - SJP/Ocean Ridge/Brunswick Forest. I'm thinking Porters Neck Plantation is very close to the intercoastal and could be potentially in a very dangerous zone as far as storm surge???

Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM

6,651 posts, read 6,202,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
We also are looking around Wilmington - went to several plantations down near Southport - SJP/Ocean Ridge/Brunswick Forest. I'm thinking Porters Neck Plantation is very close to the intercoastal and could be potentially in a very dangerous zone as far as storm surge???
If you are worried, obviously you need to check the flood zone maps for any property you are interested in. Also check what the homeowners insurance will cost you. Some parts of Porter's Neck are higher than the waterfront areas. The areas closer to Market Street are safer. But if we get the 500-year flood, nobody is safe.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:48 AM

306 posts, read 225,492 times
Default have you found a lot yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon rothschild View Post
My husband is retiring and we want to relocate to the coastal North Carolina area. We have visited St James Plantation, Brunswick Forest, Magnolia Greens and Porter's Neck. We really liked Porter's Neck and its proximity to Wilmington. I am looking for coments/recommendations re buying in Porters Neck as opposed to the more remote area of St James which we also did like, but are concerned about its location. Suggestions appreciated.
Upstate New Yorker--smr

We also, love the NC coastal area (we are from southern New Jersey) and are in the beginning process of looking at plantations. We had the same concerns about St James. Love it but it's so remote. Have you decided on a place yet? Any new comments you can share with us? Nancy njdouka@comcast.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina