U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 07:59 AM

5,372 posts, read 9,887,655 times

Advertisements

Just got one of those "how the heck do I answer?" questions from someone who contacted me from a tourism article I wrote about Beaufort.

How would you have answered this one:

A couple was interested in retiring from Las Vegas to coastal NC...they wanted to know if they would adjust and would they be intellectually stimulated enough in Wilmington or Beaufort??

Now I don't know about you, but those questions were a puzzler to me. I cannot think of two more disparate areas than Las Vegas and Beaufort...and how can one predict how someone else will adjust or not adjust?

Maybe this can be my next career--relocation analyst...come lie on LittleDolphin's couch and she'll administer the personality/relocation/ adjustment indicator quiz...

I answered to the best of my ability but with the caveat "your mileage may vary." As they stated they were seeking community I did relay how welcoming and friendly our area is and how easy it is to get connected, especially if you volunteer for one or two of the many organizations needing help...

Also recommended a visit to both Wilmington and Beaufort and spending some time hanging out and meeting people at both locations...that's really the only way to try a community on for size..data helps, but each place either feels magical and comfortable--or not...it was that way for us and the Crystal Coast and we chose it over Savannah, Charleston, Beaufort SC, and Wilmington and New Bern, though we liked those towns well enough, too.

Who can explain how one place especially calls to your heart and another not as much??

How do YOU answer these questions...??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 09:38 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,365,209 times
LittleDolphin,
Your recommendation to, "visit to both Wilmington and Beaufort and spending some time hanging out and meeting people" is the best recommendation you can give. All you or I can do is describe, convey personel experiences and possibly opinions. Basically just present the facts and let them sort thru it all. We can't know what someone else thinks or feels about a subject or how they will react to it.

Like Sargeant Joe Friday said, "Just the facts Ma'am". Personally-I get very upset with those that embellish. It does no one any good.

Bill

Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM

263 posts, read 976,066 times
These are questions that one person really can't answer for another.

CAN they adjust? Well if an inmate can adjust to being incarcerated, then yes, they CAN adjust to the changes they are going to voluntarily face.

I can provide intellectual stimulation for myself no matter where I go, and so can they. It's just a matter of how self reliant and determined they are.

The suggestion to visit is a very good one. I've heard it said that you need to be in a place for more than three weeks to get a real sense of what the place is like. For any shorter period you may be in the halo of the "honeymoon period."

Old 03-24-2009, 06:45 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,365,209 times
One other little note. Well, observation really.
Folks not familiar with the NC coast tend to think of it as all the same. It is sometimes difficult to communicate (sucessfully) the subtle to severe differences between the southern, central and northern coastal regions. Heck-Sometimes the radical differences occur all in one county!!
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina