U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:48 PM

83 posts, read 185,666 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the recommendations.

We stayed at the Best Western Coastline which is on the far end (up-river) of the boardwalk. The hotel was quite nice and had a great breakfast basket that they brought to your door each morning. Room rates were slightly below the budget type hotels near UNC-W.

We hit two of the recommended restaurants:
1) Sweet and Savory Cafe - EXCELLENT!!!! There was a crowd when we arrived at about 11:30 Sunday morning, but we were seated in about 15 minutes. Lot's of families and young couples. Great menu and good value.
2) Elijah's - Walked the 1/2 mile down river to this restaurant. They had a good crowd and we sat in the enclosed "outdoor" seating area. Service was good. The menu was somewhat limited (mostly seafood). Food was OK and prices were reasonable.

Our son liked what he saw at UNC-W and in August will be returning as a UNC-W Seahawk!

Thanks again for the information and recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 07:04 AM
LLN

3,607 posts, read 4,466,286 times
Good job.

We just finished school selection with our daughter..well she just finished school selection. Glad that is over, not much more left to do other than to start writing checks.

lln

Old 03-31-2009, 08:12 AM

281 posts, read 509,874 times
Glad your son liked UNC-W and glad the recommendations worked for you! Congratulations to your son on his upcoming college days - hope they will go well for him! We've been there - done that - and have five t-shirts!

Thanks for giving the feedback - always nice when folks report back!

Old 03-31-2009, 01:52 PM
T|K

806 posts, read 1,360,875 times
Let me know if you have any more questions as it gets closer. Lived there for a while and more than happy to help. Glad you guys liked it.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 763 times
i see this is an old thread but my daughter is looking at unc wilmington..I heard not a lot going on on campus on the weekend. Is this the case...we are from nj and definantly dont want a suitcase school. Also how is the school spirit..I know there isnt a football team, but what about other sports?

thanks for any insight

Val

Old 03-16-2011, 08:35 AM

83 posts, read 185,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by val622 View Post
i see this is an old thread but my daughter is looking at unc wilmington..I heard not a lot going on on campus on the weekend. Is this the case...we are from nj and definantly dont want a suitcase school. Also how is the school spirit..I know there isnt a football team, but what about other sports?

thanks for any insight

Val
Since I started this thread, I guess I should reply! My son has been attending UNC-W for 1 1/2 years now and LOVES It! According to him, not many leave for home on weekends. He said that school spirit is pretty good, but not like the larger state universities that have big sports programs.

Certainly, the beach is a big draw for the weekend. My son plays intermural sports, so some weekends he's traveling to other schools in a tri-state area. In any event, he only comes home for Thanksgiving, Christmas and spring break (we live 200 miles away). This summer, he wants to stay and work (intern) in Wilmington.

I have a daughter at Clemson, and that school has tons of spirit (and 50% larger student population)....but if it was me, I'd pick UNC-W. I truly believe that there is a school for everyone out there. Both of my kids knew they had the right school after their first visit.

Best of luck!

Old 03-17-2011, 02:29 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,448,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by val622 View Post

thanks for any insight

Val
There isn't football there, which brings in a lot of school spirit at other schools. You have the beach, period. When it gets cold, you can do other things. The majority of people I've seen "go" to UNC-W, but root for Chapel Hill, Duke, State etc etc.

It is a small campus, and I've never really picked up on any school spirit. Of course it is better than ECSU or UNCP. But who wants to be compared to those schools.

And for the other sports, I want to say homecoming is during a soccer game. Basketball used to be bigger there, but they have fallen off. Their one good good sport is baseball.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:44 PM
LLN

3,607 posts, read 4,466,286 times
I think the school spirit at UNCW is being shortchanged. It is fine. People are proud of the school and generally love it, even if not for its sports programs. It also appears to have a very very aggressive club program and then, at a lower level, intramurals.

UNCW is working hard to attract and retain higher academically qualified students. My daughter visited but did not apply, she did not like it...Several of her friends with pretty good test score and very good grades were rejected, of course, those are "low" paying in state kids, but they really are raising the bar. These kids were stunned.

Whoever stated, a school for everyone and find on visit is correct. We visited four schools, none bad (some I don't think she would have gotten in to--UNCW, in particular), and then we visited a fifth, and that was it. Love at first sight. In fact wife and kid are en route yet another orientation as I type.

Good luck. You will not be displeased on the counts you mentioned with UNCW.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina