Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,857 times

Advertisements

My husband, 2 kids & myself are tired of these northeast winters! We basically have no family left in our hometown & want to come south. I visited Wilmington years ago, stunning city! Although, I've heard many things have changed... for the better?

My kids are elementary-school aged. I would like any information on the best schools! Do you have to reside in the area of the school in order for your children to attend? Here in the upstate NY city I live in, you can send your child to a public school across town with permission from the school. No one is ever denied.

How about the property taxes? They are outrageous here in NY.... along with water/sewer rates, not to mention the gas company! We pay $500/mo to heat our 2000 sq. ft home... this does include electricity. Our property taxes are $4000 on an assessed $90K home. We've done so many upgrades in this house, I'd hate to have it assessed again... higher taxes!

I'll mention that we are in our mid 30s. My husband can work from anywhere, so he can retain his job. I, on the other hand, would need to look for one somewhere....

Thank you all so much in advance for any recommendations for our family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 12:23 PM

70 posts, read 182,557 times
The schools are currently redistricting. There are some really good options.Some allow open enrollment tho some are hard to get into. Many renovations going on at several of the public schools.There are some good private and charter school choices too. Homes were reappraised last year just before the economy tanked. Check out our county site(New Hanover County -nhcgov.com) to see the current rates, many transplants are thrilled at the rate. I've lived here for over 30 years and fell in love with it the first time I drove over the older bridge. Our home is over 2400 square ft. and we pay $220.00/month every month to heat and cool. I'll be happy to find out anything for you, just let me know.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 10,403 times
NAH!!! Keep moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina