U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 PM

50 posts, read 132,780 times

Advertisements

We live right now in Hampton Roads and we've been searching for a house for a couple months... the houses here leave a LOT to be desired. Anything that looks half attractive either has a small lot, is in a bad school district, or is hideous and falling apart inside and/or out! Our price range is $270-$350K depending on what needs to be done to the house and all that. DH works up here and I stay home with our 3 very young kiddos. I like a touch of country but still a grocery store within driving distance. I'd love a sense of community and get to know our neighbors and people in town (we just came from So Cal which I hated and it had everything to do with the culture). We want a decent house (doesn't have to be fancy just not falling apart!), a bit of land to grow a garden and so the kiddos can play and nice people. Is it worth an hour commute for DH? Is the commute really only an hour or is traffic bad? Would Moyock fit our needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 03:45 PM

144 posts, read 608,219 times
You could probably get a fairly nice home in Moyock for the amounts you described and from almost everything you said Moyock would sound like a fit. Except for the community thing. It's the one thing that Moyock really lacks. There are some neighborhoods in Moyock that are better for that than others but Moyock is a town without a community. The Food Lion is the center of town, but it really lacks a good community feel. There's no town hall or community building and the only things that really hold the town together are it's Churches and schools. The schools are decent but not the best in the country. I love it here in Moyock and there are a lot of nice people here but very few places here will give you that warm community feel.
One place that has some nice community is a section called Tulls Bay Colony. They have a community pool for the people that live in the neighborhood and a neighborhood community group. Another place might be the Eagle Creek subdivision or Quail Run. Tulls Bay Colony is on the water and has lots of access to the sound, Eagle Creek is around a golf course. You could maybe find a home in either of those neighborhoods for the $ you mentioned.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:43 AM

444 posts, read 1,455,837 times
Hampton Roads covers a lot of territory. If you give more details...he might be able to make it in an hour depending on time of day he travels etc. You seem to describe some bleak housing there.

Eb is right. Moyock lacks that community gathering or rallying point other than the Food Lion. I still think you'd like it. Through the schools etc, you'll meet folks.

I get the SC reference, lol. I am surprised you even used the word culture and SC in the same paragraph. I hated it too.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,004 times
Just moved from Moyock. Tired of the long commute to do anything.....We moved from Eagle Creek after living there for 8 years. Great time to get in cheap, however, the houses are built terribly and the neighborhood is filled with foreclosures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina