U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 05:21 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,961,429 times

Advertisements

Anyone from Camp Lejeune or Camp Johnson? Any tips on what there is to do in the area?

My 17 year old daughter left MCT and is now at Johnson....homesick like crazy...says there is nothing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 06:02 PM

148 posts, read 555,574 times
I have 4 girls here in the area within minutes of Lejeune, and they always complain about nothing to do....

But my oldest one never minds going to the Jville Mall, Cineplex, tons of restaurants, and there are always community festivals going on somewhere...Seems like every weekend...The beaches will be getting busy soon, EI has a waterslide park, several putt putt courses, go carts, etc...

What is she interested in?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:53 PM

263 posts, read 974,461 times
I'm headed to a civilian job at Camp LeJeune in May.

Look at the LeJeune website. In addition to miles of jogging trails, gyms and maybe the best beach in the state, there is a bowling alley, library with plenty of movies to check out, hobby shops and plenty of sporting options Sports

What your daughter is experiencing is unpleasant but normal. And healthy - it's called "growing pains." I think that maybe you are having some, too.

I have moved many times, both before and after I married my (now retired) Navy husband. I can tell you what I expect with regard to my own upcoming move as a result of all of the moves to all of the states that I have lived in:

1) No matter how well I prepare myself, I will experience some culture shock. I'm a southern girl, but NC, aside from a couple of weekend getaways, is unknown to me. I'm not a small town girl. The lack of amenities that I am accustomed to WILL be chaffing to me. I will mourn the dearth of ethnic restaurants until I resign myself to cook at home more.

2) I will experience some period of acute misery. When my new husband dragged me off to Portsmouth, VA I cried every single day for six weeks. I mourned Portsmouth when we moved to New Orleans, but it was less traumatic. Age and experience help with gaining perspective. The upcoming move will have its own upheaval, but this, too, shall pass.

3) The sooner I engage myself and the more I engage myself in my new home, the easier the transition will be. Creating a sense of belonging takes effort. What are your daughter's interests?

I am a pottery hobbiest. I have already contacted a local potter who is helping me with the connections that I will need to get my clay "fix."

I do yoga for fitness - I'm scouting out those connections.

I love the natural world. I'll be taking the appropriate Audubon field guide with me to learn the birds, fish, fowl and reptiles in the area.

Your daughter needs to actively follow existing interests and explore new opportunities. She will have LOTS of social support from her fellow Marines. Your daughter also need to know that Mom is not in crisis as a result of her departure. All of the things that she should be doing and that I will be doing, you should be doing also. Our children don't need to bear our emotional burdens. We need to model for them what a resourceful adult does in a time of need. She will feel more open to the adventure that is before her if she sees that Mom is on an adventure of her own.

Best wishes to you on your adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina