U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 PM

214 posts, read 736,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyWNC View Post
Thank you JerseyJ; that is what I was looking to know. Seems like the prices have dropped in some subdivisions. Maybe overbuilt. Did you do any research on hurricanes and if flood insurance is needed? Definitely will do some dining over at Calabash docks; great suggestion. Am going to do some research on Brunswick County; but it is difficult to find up to date stats most of the time. Will search for a reputable seasoned Realtor over there as well. Best of luck with your future retirement home at the "beach".
"Looking for information regarding cost of living, weather, lifestyles, demographics, housing, airport access, around these areas? Modestly priced retirement communities? Going to take the drive in a few weeks to get a feel for it. Thank you"

"Hmmmmmmmm..... no replies. Is that area a secret place? Or lack of interest in that area? I thought sure a Realtor or someone else could share an opinion. Oh well"

"Thank you JerseyJ; that is what I was looking to know. Seems like the prices have dropped in some subdivisions. Maybe overbuilt. Did you do any research on hurricanes and if flood insurance is needed? Definitely will do some dining over at Calabash docks; great suggestion. Am going to do some research on Brunswick County; but it is difficult to find up to date stats most of the time. Will search for a reputable seasoned Realtor over there as well. Best of luck with your future retirement home at the "beach"."

Actually there is already much information on this forum regarding your questions. Hurricanes, flood insurance, schools, taxes, property insurance, communities, towns, restaurants, have all been addressed, it’s just that we get weary of answering the same questions. If there is something you cannot find an answer to, please post your question.
I can’t help but notice, and please pardon me if I have misinterpreted but it seems as though the Realtors or lack thereof have not met your expectations “I thought sure a Realtor or someone else could share an opinion” “Will search for a reputable seasoned Realtor over there as well”
We are not allowed to solicit, however, I view everyone on this forum as a realtor, whether they hold a license or not, own property or not, as we really have everyone’s best interest at heart.
Coastal North Carolina holds a charm that quite honestly is hard to come by in comparison to other regions of the country.
I can't really explain the attraction, it is an innate force, almost primal, that draws people to our coast line. It can be tropical with balmy breezes, it can be brutal with fierce winds and rain, but there is something so special here, I wish I could bottle it and sell.
How may we assist you, what questions do you have that have not been addressed?
We would love to have nice, warm, loving folks join the forum and possibly relocate to share what we have discovered, and no we are not keeping it a secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,605 times
Lizzy-

I am a life long resident of the South Brunswick Isles-
Your Best Bet for a Great Home is to hire an Architect or
buy a home in one of our golf communities-
I live on the main land- Its cheaper than living on the beach.

The cost of living here is moderate -to low.
Prices have jumped up due to increasing retireee populations-
Real estate prices have slid back down recently.
The local population is mixed with Retirees from all over & long time locals-
There is a huge wealth gap between the locals ( not so well to do) and the Retirees
In the Summer Months there are lots of tourists-
The rest of the time its rather quite.

There are LOTS of great deals down here for houses.
I'd use a real estate agent here in town- Like Ocean Isle- Sunset or Shallotte.
I reccomend Don Lewis of Sand Dollar Realty, or anyone down here- They are Hungary for work.

If your property is over 25 ft above sea level- you will not be in a flood zone.
I'm an Architect- I mosty work on Commercial & Ocean Front Projects.
I deal with the flood plain issues here all the time.

Sunset Beach Island does not have sewer- You usally get a smaller lot than On OIB-
Sunset Beach is rare- it has a large setback from the face of the frontal dune-
its the only beach in the area GAINING land from errosion of other beaches.

My Grandfather brought me down here when I was a toddler when He retired in 1972.
I have seen this area grow from nowhere to somewhere.
He wanted to be some where near it all- but nice and quiet.
Thats why I came here after College.
Its still close to everything- and not too crowded.

Hope this locals perspective helps.
We'll see you when you get here.
Nick.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:41 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,336,733 times
Nick- Great Info-Thanks!
We own property in a golf community in Sunset Beach and will be building a home in the coming years. I know you said that you work on commercial properties mostly, but do you have a ball park figure on the cost per sq. foot on residential construction?
Is the Architectural community generally savvy about the voluminous HOA regulations of some of these gated communities?
Being so far away, we are a little nervous about the whole construction process.
Any info you can provide is much appreciated!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:05 PM

60 posts, read 166,112 times
Quote:
Looking for information regarding cost of living, weather, lifestyles, demographics, housing, airport access, around these areas? Modestly priced retirement communities? Going to take the drive in a few weeks to get a feel for it. Thank you.
I lived in Ocean Isle Beach for several years, and intend on moving back to the area. I absolutely loved it.

To answer some of your questions:

Weather: WONDERFUL! That is, as long as you like it on the hot side.
The first couple of years I moved down there, I took my daughter to school every morning. I remember many, many mornings in January and February that I was able to wear a short-sleeved shirt with no jacket and was not a bit cold. Some winters are cooler, though. Highs can range from the 40's through the 70's. Winters are short though - usually only a couple of months of really cooler weather. It very rarely snows. Hurricanes are really the only bugaboo.

There are many nice housing developments from Shallotte to Calabash.
Here is a link to a partial list:
Brunswick County NC Retirement Communities | Coldwell Banker Sloane | Calabash NC | Sunset Beach | Ocean Isle | Golf (http://www.retirementbrunswick.com/communities.html - broken link)

Lifestyle is pretty laid-back. Lots of great restaurants within easy driving distance. Lots of nice people. If you love golf, you'll be in heaven.

There are large airports in Wilmington ( about 45-60 minutes north) and Myrtle Beach ( 20-40 minutes south). There is also a small airport for private planes in Ocean Isle Beach.

I talked with several retirees who used to live in the Northern States. They said that cost of living was much less than in the area they used to live. I'm originally from West Virginia, and I can say that cost of living is slightly higher in that area of North Carolina -housing is quite a bit higher there. But many of the Northern retirees I spoke with said they could put lot of money in the bank after they sold their house up North and moved to the Shallotte/Sunset Beach area.

Hope that helps.....

Old 04-30-2009, 06:10 AM

55 posts, read 151,558 times
Thank you so much for that information, it is very helpful. Hot weather doesn't bother me as much as winter does over here in the mountains. We get ice storms and power outages from fallen trees etc. Of course the ambiance of the mountains and the views etc., smell of the tall pines is wonderful.

I am amazed that the cost of living is so much less there in Brunswick County. Am going over next week to check it out. Any other areas that you would recommend? I've read some good things about "Washington", what do you know about that area? Thanks again.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:26 AM

844 posts, read 2,677,913 times
All,

Some nice insight in this thread.

Wife and I are looking to retire to NC from Brick, NJ. We've both live here all our lives, and NJ has a lot of great points; however, warmer weather and a slower pace are leading us south.

I was stationed at Cherry Point, NC in the 70's, and fell in love with the surrounding New Bern area.

As it stands now we've sort of settled on the New Bern area; however, we are not ruling out the Pinehurst area, nor somewhere a little south of Willmington.

The pinehurst area is really beautiful too; reminds us of the Pine Barrens in So. Jersey. No ocean, but still a great area. I imagine it's a little warmer and more humid than costal areas in the summer.

We have not been to the ares south of Willmington, but have had some folks tell us it's the perfect retirement area. While we are both in good health now, good medical care is a major consideration as we age, so how is medical care in the Shallotte-Calabash area?

So, for you folks that are currently retired in the Shallotte-Calabash area, what was the draw to that area, over other costal areas?

Another concern is while real estate taxes may be lower in NC, homeowners insurance along the coast (east of 95 I understand) is on the increase, and could become a burden; that's one draw to the Pinehurst area.

We've got about 2-3 years before we make the move, so still have time to look at the areas noted above. We are hoping to make a trip down there this summer, can anyone recomend a good realator?

Regards,......marc

Old 04-30-2009, 11:57 AM

60 posts, read 166,112 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for that information, it is very helpful. Hot weather doesn't bother me as much as winter does over here in the mountains. We get ice storms and power outages from fallen trees etc. Of course the ambiance of the mountains and the views etc., smell of the tall pines is wonderful.

I am amazed that the cost of living is so much less there in Brunswick County. Am going over next week to check it out. Any other areas that you would recommend? I've read some good things about "Washington", what do you know about that area? Thanks again.
Haha, I know what you mean. The last winter I spent in West Virginia before I moved to Ocean Isle Beach, there was 6 months of almost solid snow on the ground. We had 3 feet of snow in 36 hours. One of the local Kroger grocery stores' roof completely collapsed. I said, "I'm outta here!"
I like to come back up in the warmer months - it is beautiful.

With that said..... as far as recommending other areas of North Carolina.... I'm a sucker for the far Western area of the state... Asheville, Black Mountain, Morganton, etc. It is incredibly beautiful there, and winters not as bad as in West Virginia.

If you're definitely wanting close to or on the coast, I agree with marc515's recommendations. The New Bern/Oriental area is truly beautiful and an easy going lifestyle. Pinehurst is quite lovely, too, and is fairly centrally located to the larger cities- Charlotte, Winston-Salem area, Raleigh/Durham. Pinehurst is probably about 2 1/2 to 3 hours drive from the coast.

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar at all with Washington.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,248 times
Smile realtors in brunswick county

Quote:
Thank you JerseyJ; that is what I was looking to know. Seems like the prices have dropped in some subdivisions. Maybe overbuilt. Did you do any research on hurricanes and if flood insurance is needed? Definitely will do some dining over at Calabash docks; great suggestion. Am going to do some research on Brunswick County; but it is difficult to find up to date stats most of the time. Will search for a reputable seasoned Realtor over there as well. Best of luck with your future retirement home at the "beach".
Hi LizzyWNC, Try Rampage Realty. they are very good. My husband and i are planning to move to brunswick county,nc and that is the realty company we are using. We have been vacationing in that area for awhile now and really enjoy it there. hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina