U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:28 AM

55 posts, read 151,592 times

Advertisements

Looking for information regarding cost of living, weather, lifestyles, demographics, housing, airport access, around these areas? Modestly priced retirement communities? Going to take the drive in a few weeks to get a feel for it. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 10:44 AM

Hmmmmmmmm..... no replies. Is that area a secret place? Or lack of interest in that area? I thought sure a Realtor or someone else could share an opinion. Oh well.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 14,864 times
Default Sunset Beach is beautiful

I don't know much else about Sunset Beach.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:21 PM

444 posts, read 1,029,689 times
There is ALOT of wildlife preserved on Sunset beach..I mean I wouldnt want to live there so that it would be protected. Apparently some people do live there

Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,343,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyWNC View Post
Looking for information regarding cost of living, weather, lifestyles, demographics, housing, airport access, around these areas? Modestly priced retirement communities? Going to take the drive in a few weeks to get a feel for it. Thank you.
Lizzy- We don't live in the area yet but own property in Sunset Beach (for future retirement?)
Here is what I know (as of 07)
Shallotte-
median age-50
median income-40K
median house value-276K

SunSet Beach-
median age-60
median income-52K
median house value-344K

These towns are very small beach towns that have become fairly popular for retirees. There has been a lot of development in these areas over the past several years.
Your options are pretty extensive- from mobile home developments (with limited amenities) to amenity specific developments ie: water accessable, golf, nature etc. The price tag reflects the quality/location of each development.

This area is about equidistance from Wilminton and Myrtle Beach air ports (about 45 minutes).

What we did was identify our wants, realize our price and look at places that fit.
Anyway, good luck with your search.
Oh! and while you are in the area, visit Calabash for a meal by the docks.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:42 AM

Thank you JerseyJ; that is what I was looking to know. Seems like the prices have dropped in some subdivisions. Maybe overbuilt. Did you do any research on hurricanes and if flood insurance is needed? Definitely will do some dining over at Calabash docks; great suggestion. Am going to do some research on Brunswick County; but it is difficult to find up to date stats most of the time. Will search for a reputable seasoned Realtor over there as well. Best of luck with your future retirement home at the "beach".

Old 04-01-2009, 07:41 AM

149 posts, read 517,709 times
Hi Lizzy, I can give you a perspective of another Jersey resident that will be retiring to the Carolina coast in a few years. We liked the Shallotte/Calabash area a lot. It is very beautiful and peaceful there. Shallotte is the biggest town between Wilmington and North Myrtle Beach. It is still not very big though. It is fairly modern as small southern towns go. There are a number of fairly new businesses there (probably the result of the number of developments springing up in the area. I would recommend the Boundary House restaurant in Calabash. When you visit make sure the area isn't too isolated for your tastes. Visiting and living in a town are very different. We chose a new development in Leland, a town just outside of Wilmington. We liked the idea of a fairly large town close by for shopping, entertainment, and medical access. Also Leland has grown a lot in the last few years due to the number of new developments in that area. We worked with a real estate agent in the area. She was helpful and knowledgeable of the area. If you are interested you can PM me for her name. Best of luck in your search. Hope you find the place that is just right for you.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:28 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,343,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyWNC View Post
Thank you JerseyJ; that is what I was looking to know. Seems like the prices have dropped in some subdivisions. Maybe overbuilt. Did you do any research on hurricanes and if flood insurance is needed? Definitely will do some dining over at Calabash docks; great suggestion. Am going to do some research on Brunswick County; but it is difficult to find up to date stats most of the time. Will search for a reputable seasoned Realtor over there as well. Best of luck with your future retirement home at the "beach".
Lizzy, I did do some research on hurricanes, this is an interesting web site-
Hurricane History

I think Hazel (10/15/54) was a direct hit on Brunswick Co but interestingly enough it stormed on up to Toronto Canada and killed 100 people and caused 100 million dollars damage.

Likewise, Floyd (9/16/99) damaged several homes on the Brunswick Co Islands. Floyd proceeded on up here to NJ and caused record flooding.

We bought on the mainland (hoping the Barrier Islands will provde a little protection) and made sure that we were as high above sea level as we could get (we are 50 feet above). The storm tides are a great concern, not just the wind.

I would think the prices would be coming down as it appears there is quite a lot of inventory in the area. We are now considering a condo purchase (in the interim) and it looks like the prices are dropping. Need to do a bit more research!
There is enough property to look at, that your head could start spinning!

Good luck with your quest and have a fun adventure!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 18,950 times
Lizzy,

Having recently bought a house in the Supply/Holden area I can offer a few thoughts. The area is very nice and relatively inexpensive compared to other areas on the coast. We've enjoyed our time there.

Hurricanes hit all along the NC coast. They also hit inland. Fran went through Raleigh and took a toll like Hugo went through Charlotte. They're just kind of a fact of life.

We paid close attention to the FEMA flood maps when buying. Insurance is extremely expensive for structures that are in AE, A, Shaded X floodzones. I personally sought out a house that was just inside the "X" zone. I can still hear the ocean from where I am but pay reasonable rates for insurance and am on high ground. My neighbor accross the street is inside the "shaded x" and cannot insure his house.

I'd look up an exclusive buyers agent when looking at property in the area. We had good luck with Fred Spike out of Wilmington and can recommend him.

Good Luck!

Old 04-01-2009, 06:09 PM

51 posts, read 136,063 times
We purchased a lot in Rivers Edge five years ago and plan on building within the next 3-4 years. Check out their website. Just Google Rivers Edge NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina