U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 08:33 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,578,933 times

Advertisements

^not to get off topic, but it depends on what northern states you're talking about.............i can guarantee that rent is cheaper where i live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 11:58 AM

255 posts, read 478,803 times
I lived in the Jacksonville area for 6 years and then in Swansboro for 4 years. Swansboro is a gem. No chain restaurants - aside from the normal fast food things. There are great local ones though - and you can go down on the beach in EI for more non-chain dining. It's a safe place to raise kids, too. We loved it there and can't wait to go back.

Jacksonville isn't all that bad. It gets a bad rap from some of the unhappy people that come there due to military moves. Some take it out on Jacksonville when they really are unhappy about being away from "home" or their lives in general. It's an OK place - and is close to the beach. You can't beat that.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:07 PM

31 posts, read 96,104 times
I lived in Jacksonville for over 20 years until the mid '80s. I visit every so often since my father retired from the USMC there. I have the view from a person that grew up there and moved away and came back every couple of years and saw how some things changed and others did not.

As other people have stated the winters are very mild there, The summers can be very hot and humid however. Since the area is basically built in a swamp (That is environmentally protected so you can not drain any of them) you get a lot of biting bugs every year.

The traffic situation borders on ridiculous for a town that small, but it did improve with the bypass and will get better again when they complete the western blvd extension.

The beaches are ok, not very crowded for a reason. Longer drive than it seems for only a so so beach. Everything is cut off because of the base so you have to drive way north (Emerald Isle or Atlantic Beach) or way South through Dixon to Top Sail. Either way is an hour one way.

I have to say, that growing up in Jacksonville (Actually in the country closer to Southwest high school and Blue Creek elementary) I made great friends there. I also have to say it was a really boring place to live as a kid. For the most part there was very little to do to get into trouble, that is good, but it was an awful place to grow up in. Jacksonville gets a bad rap for a good reason. It is for all means and purposes the same as when I left, a Circus catered for the Marines. Strip clubs, ABC Package Stores, Bars and Pawn shops. I counted the days before I left and never looked back. I would never subject my kids to a life there for any reason, but each to their own. Housing and cost of living there is dirt cheap, you have to consider why? My high school (Southwest) had over 600 students going there when I graduated and I can only confirm 5 that still live there I am sure there are many more, but I bet less than 50. That means over 90% left the area to live elsewhere.

If you are hooked on coastal Carolina there are much better places than Jacksonville, Wilmington for example, Wrightsville Beach, Morehead City, New Bern< Manteo or as one person said Swansboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina