U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:14 AM

107 posts, read 438,258 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Greenville over the summer and would like to find a family-friendly place to live, preferably in the university area. We'll need to rent. Anyone know of a kindly individual who rents out a small house, an apartment on a house, or duplex whom I could contact?

Thanks for any leads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 02:17 PM

46 posts, read 179,628 times
I recommend you contact Frank Fields at Keller Williams
(252) 917-9374

Frank Fields

There are some family neighborhoods located very close to ECU Campus (The "Tar River University Neighborhood" area).

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2009, 02:24 PM

107 posts, read 438,258 times
Thanks, Foyle. I'll give him a try.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,634 times
We'll be moving to Greenville this early summer, 3 children (11,9 &5yrs) does anyone recommend a school and which part of town to rent in? We will buy once there but may have to pick a place to rent from over seas.Is this a good city to raise a family. I've read some issues about crime but it seems mixed and perhaps just pockets where this is happening.!!!????

Old 04-26-2009, 08:01 PM

47 posts, read 208,934 times
I have lived in Many Cities lately for school and now law school, but grew up in Greenville so I will try to shed some light on the city. Personally i think greenville and NC for that matter is an excellent choice especially with the crazy cheap cost of living. Greenville overall is very safe although you do have certain areas to avoid. You can tell the areas to avoide by just driving through them. Also this is huge college town so the majority of the crime is not serious. Depending on price range and what you want should dictate the areas you look in. Do you want a rural setting or prefer somthing closer to down town. If you have children getting ready to go to high schol try to stay in Dh Conley or JH rose districts. For rent a moderate home, you will be able to find something for around 750 or so (3 bedroom, 2 bath 1200 square feet). Areas I like are Cherry Oaks (the older section) Planters Walk and even areas of Winterville. Stay away from MLK (was known as west 5th street) and also Moywood.

Hope this helps

Old 04-27-2009, 10:19 AM

44 posts, read 229,258 times
I would not advise living here but there are nice areas. I live in the Eastwood area which is pretty close to campus. Nice area overall.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:03 AM

14 posts, read 31,326 times
For families with kids I think Winterville may be a better bet, it is more suburban and your typical family scene. I agree Eastwood is nice, especially if you are back by the country club.

If you are at the med school/allied health campus you could check out augusta trails, willoughby, or anything off Frog Level Rd or Devenport Rd.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 14,078 times
Well if you plan to use public schools I believe Chicod Schools are the highest rating based on end of grade testing, teacher experience, and so forth (according to greatschools.net). As previously stated you can definately tell which areas are not "family friendly" just by driving through (QUICKLY driving through!). Winterville is a nice area and has the "small town feel".

Old 05-19-2009, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5travelers View Post
We'll be moving to Greenville this early summer, 3 children (11,9 &5yrs) does anyone recommend a school and which part of town to rent in? We will buy once there but may have to pick a place to rent from over seas.Is this a good city to raise a family. I've read some issues about crime but it seems mixed and perhaps just pockets where this is happening.!!!????

My husband and I currently live in Cherry Oaks in a 3 bedroom 2 bath 1800 sq foot Cape Cod house in which we are selling b/c of a job transfer for my husband. We love the location b/c it's so close to everything but just enough outside city limits so there are no city taxes. This neighborhood is an older, more established one and I think that's more appealing than the newer construction, but that's my opinion. Our children are not school-aged just yet but we've heard a lot of great reviews about the schools.

This side of town is definitely a safe area...minutes from great grocery stores, restaurants, the mall, ECU, etc...

Just thought I'd share! The MLS is 87196. Some sites' photos aren't updated...the living room is no longer a yellow-ish color, but a beige two tone which is separated by chair rail molding...

Old 05-23-2009, 10:45 PM

45 posts, read 100,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foyle View Post
I recommend you contact Frank Fields at Keller Williams
(252) 917-9374

Frank Fields

There are some family neighborhoods located very close to ECU Campus (The "Tar River University Neighborhood" area).

Good luck!
I tried contacting Frank when you recommended him in another post on my relocation to Greenville. He never returned my call. We contacted Remax Preferred Realty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina