Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 05:35 AM

128 posts, read 628,256 times

Advertisements

Thanks again.
My fiance' actually is a Clinical Psychologist from Brazil. And there is the twist. She had her own private practice in Brazil for 15 years but we haven't been able to have her credentials validated and translated to even determine what courses she needs to be OK'd in the USA. So someone mentioned that she was certainly qualified as an Industrial Psych and we are giving it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 10:28 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,428 times
I just gotta jump in here. Elizabeth City would be a good spot for folks who want to live halfway between Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks. The locals go to both places, with Nags Head the most popular because it's a little closer and in the same state. ECity has just enough going on to where you don't need to travel anywhere else to live comfortably. It's the largest town in the northeastern NC region near the beaches. It's got a downtown on the river, a historic district, several nice suburbs, the largest Coast Guard station in the world, a hospital, two colleges, typical chain stores, and a very popular high school with its award-winning band and the whole town goes to the football games. I could go on and on, really.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
I just gotta jump in here. Elizabeth City would be a good spot for folks who want to live halfway between Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks. The locals go to both places, with Nags Head the most popular because it's a little closer and in the same state. ECity has just enough going on to where you don't need to travel anywhere else to live comfortably. It's the largest town in the northeastern NC region near the beaches. It's got a downtown on the river, a historic district, several nice suburbs, the largest Coast Guard station in the world, a hospital, two colleges, typical chain stores, and a very popular high school with its award-winning band and the whole town goes to the football games. I could go on and on, really.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 AM

444 posts, read 1,615,027 times
Gee gigimac, I grew up there and couldn't wait to get away. Happy you like it, but yuck. Don't tell anyone they have a hospital unless you've had experience with how they kill patients. I barely escaped surgery with my life. No kidding ... infection and kidney failure should not happen in a modern hospital.

As for the rest of E City, its all yours. You're welcomed to it.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:06 AM

Since you mentioned it where would the nearest quality hospital be? I'll probably be looking at Camden today or tomorrow and start off with a rental.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockAAAA View Post
Gee gigimac, I grew up there and couldn't wait to get away. Happy you like it, but yuck. Don't tell anyone they have a hospital unless you've had experience with how they kill patients. I barely escaped surgery with my life. No kidding ... infection and kidney failure should not happen in a modern hospital.

As for the rest of E City, its all yours. You're welcomed to it.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 AM

144 posts, read 680,078 times
Hey Bob, while some do go to Albemarle Hospital in E.C. most go to Chesapeake General (CG) or in extreme cases Sentara Norfolk General (SNG). Being a Pastor I get to spend a lot of time at hospitals and if I had to go to the hospital I'd probably choose CG or SNG.
As far as Elizabeth City is concerned there are some things about EC that I really like and things I don't really care for. I love the waterfront, and the historic old homes in EC but that area in EC is not the greatest of neighborhoods. High crime and lots of drugs. The suburbs are nice but not unlike the suburbs of a thousand other towns. Nothing really extraordinary.
There's not much in Camden but you will be fairly close to Elizabeth City if you need anything. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods in Camden that went up in the last 10 years, but not a lot else. Camden is quite rural yet with a kind of "suburbian" feel in some of the newer neighborhoods.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:17 PM

Thanks. I just drove around Camden today and saw some possibilities. I also drove around the area around the Currituck ferry and saw some possibilities there too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebediel View Post
Hey Bob, while some do go to Albemarle Hospital in E.C. most go to Chesapeake General (CG) or in extreme cases Sentara Norfolk General (SNG). Being a Pastor I get to spend a lot of time at hospitals and if I had to go to the hospital I'd probably choose CG or SNG.
As far as Elizabeth City is concerned there are some things about EC that I really like and things I don't really care for. I love the waterfront, and the historic old homes in EC but that area in EC is not the greatest of neighborhoods. High crime and lots of drugs. The suburbs are nice but not unlike the suburbs of a thousand other towns. Nothing really extraordinary.
There's not much in Camden but you will be fairly close to Elizabeth City if you need anything. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods in Camden that went up in the last 10 years, but not a lot else. Camden is quite rural yet with a kind of "suburbian" feel in some of the newer neighborhoods.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:17 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,428 times
Red Rock,
Oh, yeah, you must have been one of those kids that didn't join the band. And people do die in hospitals, I have actually heard that despite selfless efforts to save lives, some won't make it. Probably becuz they were all shot up by roaming gangster heavy wannabees that get reported every six months because they cut thru the yard of some Samuel Jackson or Clint Eastwood fella. Hey, I don't live there, bud. But I didn't leave becuz I wanted to. I left because my education was so good at the high school in town that I went on to write for a metropolitan paper with a few million readers. The reason I suggested ECity is becuz people like you were suggesting trailer parks at the end of some road in the middle of nowhere, as tho ECity didn't exist, THE city of Northeastern NC. But if I had to pick the perfect place to live, it would not be there. I think it would be.... in the HGTV green house in Florida! Hmmmmm. Well, enuff said here, gotta go over there and enter the sweepstakes. Bye bye and glad to talk at ya, fellow ECity personage, despite your infamous ability to crash into people when they didn't ask for it. Go team and fight for the dream! Hooo-ah.
GG

Old 04-29-2009, 10:58 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
If I were moving to that area of North Carolina, I would be more interested in topography than taxes. Don't build right down next to the waterway and there are many of them. Most counties have a website where they list their tax rate. I will try to find the one that lists all 100 counties.

http://www.dor.state.nc.us/taxes/property/rates.html

http://www.ncacc.org/ this website used to have the tax rates in a much easier form. Much information here, but I have not yet found th tax rate. I could not open the first site I found. My computer is very old though.

Last edited by NCN; 04-29-2009 at 11:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina