Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 05:21 AM

1 posts, read 8,285 times

Advertisements

We are looking for land to purchase and have seen a good deal in Leland? Any input. Thinking of retiring here in a couple of years???? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 08:34 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,798 times
it really depends on what you are looking for. taxes in brunswick county are lower than the taxes across the bridge. they have built a couple of strip malls in leland as well. if you want to do anything for entertainment, you will be going to wilmington as there is nothing in wilmington. I guess it just depends on your personal needs and wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeafter50 View Post
We are looking for land to purchase and have seen a good deal in Leland? Any input. Thinking of retiring here in a couple of years???? Thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 08:33 PM

60 posts, read 188,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeafter50 View Post
I have some friends that live in Belville, which is a town adjoining Leland. It has some beautiful housing developments. The area is very relaxed and has a country-like feel to it, even though you are a very short drive from Wilmington. Leland is where the stores and restaurants are. Leland has improved alot in the last 10 years, but for anything more than basic grocery store, drug store, fast food, and maybe a couple of sit-down restaurants, you'll need to drive into Wilmington. It is my understanding that there is a large Hispanic community evolving in the Leland area. Personally, from what I've seen ( and it could have changed since I was last there) - I would rather live in Belville than Leland. Although, I used to have an architect friend in Wilmington, and he was always wanting to find some good riverfront property there, saying he would love to move there.

Hope that helps......

Old 02-12-2011, 06:27 AM

20 posts, read 42,100 times
The plus factor for Leland is its proximity to Wilmington with entertainment, restaurants and medical facilities. The negative is that all the new communities going up have hoa's and liabilities attached. People relocating are awe strucked by the ammenities and in most cases fail to read the fine print. For the amount of money invested there is very little protection- like giving your money to an investor at very high risk. For those inclined to move to these areas and want the ammenities and are willing at any price to risk their chances - do yourselves a favor and read the covenants of the developement you are considering. Remember the caviat buyer beware. By the way the state of NC has a hands off attitude for these situations and your legal status does not exist- Developers have the upper hand and final say- if this works for you go for it.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:42 AM

11 posts, read 34,513 times
So which would you choose or recommend the most...

1.Leland
2.Belville
3.Winnabow
4.Hampstead
5.Scotts Hill
6.Ogden
7.Or anyother that I may not be familiar with

Old 05-09-2011, 05:02 AM

551 posts, read 1,874,776 times
I think buying land is iffy. A lot of developments have been started in Brunswick County but it is impossible to know how many will proceed as planned. I live in the Ogden area, it is close to Mayfaire, the beach, and town. I do know people who live in Hampstead, there is a whole lot on the market there. I'm not a realtor and of course don't have a crystal ball but to me it would make sense to look closer to the time you are ready to move.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:23 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jew8201 View Post
So which would you choose or recommend the most...

1.Leland
2.Belville
3.Winnabow
4.Hampstead
5.Scotts Hill
6.Ogden
7.Or anyother that I may not be familiar with
if it was me i'd pick ogden, but honestly i wouldn't live in any of those places because the commute into Wilmington sucks for all of them.

i might live across the river in brunswick, if i had my own personal helicopter service to fly me across the cape fear river every day.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 6,052 times
Hi, I reading these posts but notice that they are more then a year old. My husband and family are interested in purchasing land in Leland and I'm concerned with cost of water. The Land is a private community and there are monthly fees for using the facilities and a monthly irrigation fees on top of the water fees. Also they claim that the taxes are much cheaper compared to L.I. NY. If anyone can comment or has any info I would appreciate it.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsu11 View Post
Hi, I reading these posts but notice that they are more then a year old. My husband and family are interested in purchasing land in Leland and I'm concerned with cost of water. The Land is a private community and there are monthly fees for using the facilities and a monthly irrigation fees on top of the water fees. Also they claim that the taxes are much cheaper compared to L.I. NY. If anyone can comment or has any info I would appreciate it.
A few comments: The cost of property taxes and water are separate issues, as there is typically a private company which supplies water.

1. Your property taxes will probaby be cheaper than any Long Island Town, especially since I have heard of tax bills greater than $10,000 for a modest house on Long Island. The Brunswick County rate is $.4425 per $100 of value and there are add-on for various town. See the chart here at "Tax rates": Brunswick County, North Carolina > Departments > Land & Development > Tax Administration > Real Property Tax. For example, a house assessed at $300,000 would pay $1327.50 in property taxes at .4425 mills. If the house is in Leland, you add .1515 to the rate for .594, and the tax is $1782 for a house assesed at $300K.

3. Your water may be more expensive than in Long Island. The community association has the right to charge additional fees for irrigating the common areas, but I haven't heard of that before. We typically need to have lawn irrigation here as the sandy soil drains quickly. If you provide the community name, other people may be able to comment on the water fees. Here's an example of Brunswick regional Water's charges: http://www.h2goonline.com/index.php/...a-fee-schedule

3. I think you should investigate several communities and compare their fees and taxes before committing to anything. You would typically have to pay HOA fees to a community even though your lot sits vacant for several years. You have to judge whether the land purchase is a good investment.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-14-2012 at 10:20 AM..

Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 PM

431 posts, read 1,141,468 times
I like in Ogden and it's perfect for me because I work nearby. Porters Neck is also nice. I think it all depends on what you would be doing with your free time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina