U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM

45 posts, read 100,566 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have applied to the graduate school at ECU. I have not officially been accepted yet, but I expect to hear within the next week. I am trying to gather information about the area to help me make my decision (I was accepted at a school on the eastern shore of Maryland).

Some of my concerns from reading other boards is that the area is really expensive and that the school is a real party school. If I am accepted and I decide to go to school here, I will be moving with my wife and 18 month old son. I would be interested in finding affordable housing in an area that is suitable for a small family. The graduate program is only two years, so I don't see us buying a home unless the job market will allow us to stay after graduation. My field is history. My wife's field is OT with an emphasis on managing traumatic brain injury programs.

I want to hear both good and bad, so that I can make the best decision for our family.

Thank you for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:38 AM

46 posts, read 179,800 times
Riskio,

If you are in the History program then the majority, if not all, of your classes will be in Brewster building on 10th St. The neighborhoods surrounding campus are generally family friendly and many homes are inhabited by faculty, staff and grad students. These neighborhoods contain mostly single family homes with some duplexes and a few small apartment buildings. There are plenty of for rent signs around right now and it is certainly a buyer's market for real estate if you decide to purchase.

I would recommend you search in that area -- assuming that your wife will be working at the hospital or one of the other medical offices in our area, she would have a fairly short commute from the University area out to the Medical complex on the western edge of town.
Here is one realtor that may be able to assist you in finding a home for rent:
Frank Fields at Keller Williams
(252) 917-9374
Frank Fields

If you instead wanted your wife to be close to work you might try Treybrooke Apartments (which is quite close to the hospital) -- I have heard that it is a slightly more mature environment than many of the "party zone" complexes that exist around town.

Cost of living is Greenville is roughly equivalent to Raleigh. The area has both pluses and minuses -- crime and gang activity are a problem. Having 25,000+ college students in town makes Greenville a prime market for many types of illegal drugs (and the crime and gangs that accompany that "industry").

There are TOO many restaurants in Greenville -- I have heard that we have the highest number per capita in the US -- a statistic that I have not been able to confirm but it would not surprise me. Even with the recession, many restaurants seem to be packed every night. I wish I knew where everyone else is getting the money to eat out so I could cash in!

If you like college sports ECU is a very good place to be. Football is king here and our baseball team is regularly in the top 25. Basketball has never been able to emerge from the shadow of the ACC schools up the road from here.

Post more questions if I have left out other areas of concern that you have and I will try to answer.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:19 AM

We are hoping that my wife will be able to find employment outside of the clinical (hosptial) setting. She really enjoys her current job running our state's TBI program. Not sure if there is anything similar there. How far is Raleigh if she could get a job there? Would it be feasible to live about half way in between?

If we do move to Greenville and she had to work in a clinical setting, are there many outpatient rehab centers? I know she would prefer that to a hospital or nursing home.

We would also be interested in finding a good daycare center for our son. We have been lucky to have him with an in-home provider with one other toddler. He has had a lot of 1 on 1 learning time because of this and we would like to maintain that. I realize that not knowing anyone in the area it will be hard to find an in-home provider. It will probably be best for him to get acclimated to daycare anyway. He will be almost two when the fall semester begins and he will need to learn socialization skills before pre-school.

Thanks for all the insight.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 AM

451 posts, read 1,689,118 times
I would say cost of living is similar to Raleigh except that I think real estate is cheaper here (especially cheaper than in-city Raleigh). Taxes, utilities, food, etc. are generally the same.

I have heard that day care used to be hard to come by around here but several new daycares have opened recently as a result. I would also think that employment in the medical field shouldn't be too hard to find because much of the area's economy depends on it. Times are tough though as we all know so I would stress finding a job first before moving!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 AM

My wife's employment will be a big part of the decision to come to school at ECU. I hope it works out. We like the Raleigh area and understand that Greenville is only about 1 hr 15 mins to 1 1/2 hrs away. I also really like the program offered at ECU. They have one of the few Maritime History programs in the country and that is the specific area of interest I have in History.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:51 AM

44 posts, read 229,364 times
Cost of living is rather cheap here. No idea where you heard it was otherwise. ECU is a party school and Greenville is a hole. We moved here for hte same reason and cannot wait to move on.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:57 AM

^Dang man, kinda harsh!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:00 AM

I would also like to add that there are several posters on this board that like living in the area. I will admit crime is pretty bad for a town this size, but i've lived in larger metro areas before and am used to hearing about it.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick78 View Post
Cost of living is rather cheap here. No idea where you heard it was otherwise. ECU is a party school and Greenville is a hole. We moved here for hte same reason and cannot wait to move on.
I think I had read on some of the boards that Greenville's utilities were out of hand. Water bills specifically. I think the posts said that the water bill ran $70+/month????

I pay $15.00/quarter for my water now and I live in a pretty expensive area (as far as everything else goes), so I guess I naturally assumed if the utilities were that high, everything else must be expensive too.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:42 AM

6 posts, read 10,309 times
I've never lived in Greenville so I can't offer much help on the area, but I did hear about it being ranked #2 on Forbes for the Best Small Places For Business & Careers recently. http://http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/5/bizplaces09_Greenville-NC_6093.html (broken link) If you're ever in Beaufort, NC (about 2 hours from Greenville) you can visit the NC Maritime Museum. Best of luck to you and your family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina