U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 03:15 PM

51 posts, read 183,784 times

Advertisements

I am a single, 21 year old guy. I currently live in Chittenden, VT. I have been looking into moving to San Diego for some time now and the cost of living in SoCal is extremely high.... Then one of my buddies told me to look into NC cause its beautiful there and also on the coast. So I have made up my mind that I want to live in NC, I just dont know where yet. In Cali, a 1 bedroom apartment goes for around $1,600 a month where I was looking at moving to. How does NC compare to that for a 1 bedroom somewhat close to the ocean (like a 5-20min drive or so)?? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to stay on the east coast because I would still be within driving distance of my family here in VT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 03:39 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,860,640 times
For comparison, if the average cost of living in the U.S. is set at 100, coastal NC comes in at 95, San Diego 147 and your VT town @ 114. So coastal NC is the lowest of the three.

That's the good news..

The challenging news is how do you plan on making a living?

There are lots of jobs here that pay $6.00/hour, lots of seasonal hospitality/restaurant/boat-related jobs, and not too many middle or upper salary jobs...most of the coastal towns, outside of Wilmington are pretty small in population and major companies...something to keep in mind...

Hope this helps...don't mean to rain on your parade, it's marvelous here and great living...just wanted to be honest with you...

Old 05-20-2009, 04:28 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,209,016 times
You can rent a nice 1 bedroom condo or apartment right on the ocean for about $800/month. Depending on what beach you went to and how many bedrooms you were trying to fill, you could maybe pay $400-500/mo for a place within walking distance of the beach. Like other people will tell you, though, our job situation is not so hot. We are the land of underemployment.

I know someone from Vermont, who moved out to the west coast. Then they moved here to Wilmington, to be closer to their family. I don't know that it has worked out so well in terms of convenience. You're talking like, 15 hours or so on I-95?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:40 PM

51 posts, read 183,784 times
Ok thanks for the help and yea I know its a long drive from VT but its still closer than coming home from California... And as far as a job goes I dont know im not picky I will work anywhere doing anything as long as I have a job. I know the market is tight and especially in small towns (my town has 1,100 people) but i would imagine that there is a job available somewhere down there. How about towns on the coast are some better than others? And being from VT, im not used to crazy weather (except we had a tornado touch down last week which was really rare) but dont you guys get hurricanes there? also does it rain alot like in florida?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:56 AM

6 posts, read 66,754 times
Well, if you have that type of attitude about finding a job, then I would say you'll be just fine. I have seen plenty of "help-wanted" signs as well as postings needing people. While our economy has definitely been hit like so many others, I would say we are not hurting near as bad as many other areas of the country.

As for weather, summer is hot and humid. Winters are mild, snow is extremely rare. Tornados do come during the severe thunder storms. August to October count on at least 1 tropical storm, maybe 1 hurricane during active years. This spring has been very wet with periodic downpours almost every other day, but that happens every few years or so.

I work from home in a practice of about 250 colleagues from across north america. When I tell them what some of my costs of living are, they are ready to pack bags and head here tomorrow.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:33 AM

60 posts, read 166,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSD514 View Post
Ok thanks for the help and yea I know its a long drive from VT but its still closer than coming home from California... And as far as a job goes I dont know im not picky I will work anywhere doing anything as long as I have a job. I know the market is tight and especially in small towns (my town has 1,100 people) but i would imagine that there is a job available somewhere down there. How about towns on the coast are some better than others? And being from VT, im not used to crazy weather (except we had a tornado touch down last week which was really rare) but dont you guys get hurricanes there? also does it rain alot like in florida?
I lived in the Wilmington and surrounding area off and on for about 10 years. If you think you might like that kind of work - and especially if you are a "people-person" - you might try applying for jobs as a waiter. There are many nice restaurants of all types in Wilmington, and other places along the coast - and more going in all the time. It shouldn't be hard at all to obtain a job in that field.

When I worked as a waitress in Sunset Beach about 11 years ago - it was not uncommon for tips to be $100-$200 a night. This was an average seafood restaurant. I'm sure they are at least that, and maybe more now - and also in the ritzier restaurants. Plus, you get to meet lots of people in that line of work - a good way to get connected in a new community.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina