Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:00 PM

13 posts, read 73,998 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I went to Wilmington this weekend and boy is it beautiful! We were actually blessed to be there during Riverfest, which was wonderful. I noticed many things while being there that are much different than my homestate of southcentral, PA.

1. People walk really slow and they aren't in a rush. It's a huge relief from the hustle bustle up in the north.

2. I don't think Wilmington is not as conservative as the area I come from. People seem to be really accepting of everyone. At Riverfest there was a skateboard park set up for all the skateboarders to show off their moves. Here in PA, skateboarders do not have that freedom. It's a controversy even for them to have a secluded park. I think it's great that they got to showcase their talents to the public. People of all ages even enjoyed watching it.

3. People aren't as loud and obnoxious as in PA.

4. It was nice to be able to walk around without people running into me without apologizing.

5. NC rest stops along the highway are much better than the ones in PA! They are beautiful!

Overall, I enjoyed my weekend in Wilmington, despite some of the rain. We went to Carolina, Kure, and Wrightsville Beach and they were just as beautiful as all the pictures. NC is a beautiful state and I sure hope it stay that way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 03:19 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
South Central PA huh? The hustle and bustle of Harrisburg must have just started in the last 4 months since I drove through there. lol

Old 10-10-2006, 04:20 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,554 times
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. I agree that Wilmington is a beautiful city. And having traveled through several states recently, I also agree about the rest stops. They are nice.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 11,776 times
great that you guys liked it.i wrote in about wilmington to see if anybody would like it.so i got my answer iam moving there in january from hendersonville nc.are the beaches great?how far is the city from the beach?thanks

Old 10-10-2006, 07:05 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,906,461 times
I have an uncle who lives in the Wilmington area (Carolina Beach). It's a great area, glad you guys enjoyed it.

I just wanted to point out, being conservative doesn't make one unaccepting or intolerant. I'm conservative and, true, some conservative people can be very rude and mean. But so can some liberals. It goes both ways. Too many people are "tolerant" only when they're being agreed with, both liberal and conservative. We all just need to work hard to do better. Please, don't take me wrong. I'm not trying to be preachy or anything, really. I just don't want anyone to be turned off by someone being conservative. I mean, I think I'm a pretty nice guy (ha, ha)!!! Again, glad you enjoyed your trip despide the rain!!!

Old 10-10-2006, 07:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
I have an uncle who lives in the Wilmington area (Carolina Beach). It's a great area, glad you guys enjoyed it.

I just wanted to point out, being conservative doesn't make one unaccepting or intolerant. I'm conservative and, true, some conservative people can be very rude and mean. But so can some liberals. It goes both ways. Too many people are "tolerant" only when they're being agreed with, both liberal and conservative. We all just need to work hard to do better. Please, don't take me wrong. I'm not trying to be preachy or anything, really. I just don't want anyone to be turned off by someone being conservative. I mean, I think I'm a pretty nice guy (ha, ha)!!! Again, glad you enjoyed your trip despide the rain!!!

Very well said! Thanks

Old 10-10-2006, 10:36 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post

Ok, so someone on here does think like me I didn't know skateboarding was not tolerated by conservatives, my kids had a skateboard.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:43 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
South Central PA huh? The hustle and bustle of Harrisburg must have just started in the last 4 months since I drove through there. lol

Like father like son....

Old 10-11-2006, 08:37 AM

13 posts, read 73,998 times
I didn't mean that conservative people don't tolerate skateboarders. It was just two totally separate thoughts.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:04 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasity View Post
great that you guys liked it.i wrote in about wilmington to see if anybody would like it.so i got my answer iam moving there in january from hendersonville nc.are the beaches great?how far is the city from the beach?thanks
about 15 minutes - but depends which beach. My son lives there and loves it - be sure to check out UNC-Wilmington and Cape Fear Community College.
I-40 stops just outside the city and becomes College Drive.
Cops don't like speeders - New Hanover County is one of the highest accident rate counties in the state. (bad grammar, sorry)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina