Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 06:07 PM

5 posts, read 24,022 times

Advertisements

Im 21 and currently in a long term relationship. We are interested in getting a place of our own along the coast somewhere in North Carolina... the only problem is.. where?? Ive been to a few places on the coast but havent spent much time there, does anyone have any advice as to where a good place to live near the beach would be?

thanks so much
sparkles4me

Last edited by sparkles4me; 04-10-2007 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 07:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
What is your price range? Work is the other factor. I would personally think Wilmington would be better far as jobs but housing is pricey in the area and most beach communities.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:51 AM

5 posts, read 24,022 times
Question not sure....

see im not really sure of what my price range should be because i have no idea of what it cost to live near the coast. i was paying 730 at my last place a month... and that was fine... jobs are flexible... i work in restaurants... anything u have to do in one i can do... my boyfriend is into computer and electronic type jobs... im also looking to have a job change too... restaurant business can be really stressful lol ... i dont really want to live in the city... like in wilmington... like right outside the city... that way its not that far away.. i just dont want to live in the middle of it... make sense?

Old 04-14-2007, 01:25 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
Since Wilmington will have the best job opportunities, yet you don't want to live in Wilmington, check out Leland, Hampstead, Castle Hayne, Surf City (on Topsail Island) and North Topsail Beach (also on Topsail Island). I'm sure someone else may come here with more suggestions.

You should be aware that hurricanes do hit the NC coast though. If you're willing to take that risk (I'm too chicken, though I'd love to live in Southport again), then I wish you all the best.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:15 AM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
We did a lot of research before moving to the Carolina coast. Certainly the area from Wilmington up Highway 17 is worthy of consideration.

Parts of North Topsail got hit pretty hard over the years so there is plenty of controversy going on between the town and home owners over the cost of beach replenishment.

You might also want to consider the area from Swansboro to Morehead City. The housing prices are relatively reasonable. There a fair amount of employment in Jacksonville and some in Morehead City. The whole area has a fair number of service oriented jobs.

It just depends on what you are looking for in a home and job. We live in Cape Carteret and find it a really nice mix of people of all ages who for the most part consider the area their main residence. It's a growing area but you have access to the quaint shops of Swansboro and even Beaufort's historic district if you're willing to drive 35 minutes.

There's fairly good beach access through Emerald's main parking areas. It is a year round area so there are schools, restaurants, real grocery stores etc. It also has a community feel that some areas don't have. There are lots of festivals in the area. This is Emerald Isle's 50th anniversary (broken link) so people are having fun with that.

I had a great time at the Swansboro Oyster Roast. As far as I can tell, all ages were having a blast.

What stores aren't available in the area are available either in Jacksonville, Morehead City, or heaven forbid a trip to the big city of Wilmington.

For eastern NC, Wilmington has lots of traffic. I'm a veteran of Northern Virginia so it's not at that level, but it can be frustrating. Some of the beach areas along 17 are just beach areas which are starting to see more year round residents but a visit in Jan will quickly tell you what kind of year round community it is.

If you're trying to enjoy coastal life and stay away from the city, traffic etc. I would look at some of the locations mentioned besides Wilmington which is definitely a high growth area.

Each area has a little different flavor, and we are all partial to the spots we have picked. I have a website with information on my particular area which I call Coastal Paradise. It really has turned out to be that for us, but we really had a definite list of what we wanted in area, great water access, lots of small restaurants, little traffic, and a four lane highway for an exit should a storm come along.

The Emerald Isle and much of the Crystal Coast have south facing beaches. There are lots of old buildings that have been around for ages. Of course there are beach front homes that washed away so there are no guarantees.

A quick look at some of the flood maps will give you an idea of where not to live.

If you're considering areas south of Wilmington or Southport, you might want to read up on the new North Carolina port that is going in there. There is some discussion about how that might change the area.

Hey the strawberries are even ripe down here in Carteret County now. You won't find an area more accepting of new comers.

Last edited by dsobotta; 04-14-2007 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: miles should have been minutes

Old 04-14-2007, 03:12 PM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
I suggest getting close to Wilmington, like Hamstead, Castle Hayne or Rocky Point. I wouldn't get right into Wilmington because I think Pender County might be a little cheaper in terms of real estate taxes and the like. If I a wrong, please correct me. But my BIL lives in Rocky Point and I love it there. If I were heading in that direction, that is where I would go.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 15,539 times
I live in Castle Hayne. It's actually not too bad. We've got some stuff to do out there if you don't want to drive the 15 minutes into town. You know like a pizza joint, grocery store, gas stations. And the price of living is WAY cheaper than in town, that's why we chose to live there. Feel free to email me with any questions. Hope this helps!!

cricketfox@earthlink.net

Old 11-19-2008, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,954 times
Smile moving to southport nc with kids

Hi- could someone please let me know if Southport, NC would be a great place to raise kids? We have 3 young ones and I have concern with if the public schools are good and any children activities for them to have fun? Are hospitals good? Are people nice? Low crime? Is it convienent enough for everyday type of shopping? Don't want to isolate us too much but need affordable home too. The pictures of Southport look beautiful is the shopping areas pretty? Like where Walmart is located? I heard alot of shows and movies were filmed there. Thank you all for any info.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:01 AM

214 posts, read 822,551 times
Default Southport would be a great place for kids, retirees and professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by shfmyheart View Post
Hi- could someone please let me know if Southport, NC would be a great place to raise kids? We have 3 young ones and I have concern with if the public schools are good and any children activities for them to have fun? Are hospitals good? Are people nice? Low crime? Is it convenient enough for everyday type of shopping? Don't want to isolate us too much but need affordable home too. The pictures of Southport look beautiful is the shopping areas pretty? Like where Walmart is located? I heard alot of shows and movies were filmed there. Thank you all for any info.
Hi there and welcome to our forum. Southport and the surrounding areas are great for raising kids, and attracts many from all over the country seeking a true Southern town on the Cape Fear River, and only 15 minutes from Oak Island. Go to schooldigger.com, there you will find all the information you need in deciding if our school systems meet your personal requirements.
Southport boasts it's own Hospital, Dosher Memorial, has many independent Doctors and Dentist offices throughout town. Shopping is easy to get to. Walmart is a quick trip from the town, and then there is Lowe's Food Store, Food Lion.
Our police department is really a great one too, very friendly very helpful, and not overly aggressive as you may find in other small towns, in other words they are not looking to make trouble. After the demise of Sheriff Hewitt, law enforcement has lessened their testosterone levels dramatically.
We have a weekly newspaper State Port Pilot, that can be accessed over the internet, go there for all the news. The Brunswick Beacon, and Wilmington Star News are also good references for newcomers. Albeit, they are to be read with the understanding that they are conservatively slanted and some of the news they print isn't Worth the ink, but hey this is a small town area and people's view tend to reflect this.
Please feel free to direct mail me if I can be of any assistance with your relocation questions.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:59 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
I have never heard someone say that the wilmington star has a conservative slant. it's owned and operated by the NY times, which is a far left liberal tabloid. I always read the star with the understanding that it has a massive liberal slant. to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
Hi there and welcome to our forum. Southport and the surrounding areas are great for raising kids, and attracts many from all over the country seeking a true Southern town on the Cape Fear River, and only 15 minutes from Oak Island. Go to schooldigger.com, there you will find all the information you need in deciding if our school systems meet your personal requirements.
Southport boasts it's own Hospital, Dosher Memorial, has many independent Doctors and Dentist offices throughout town. Shopping is easy to get to. Walmart is a quick trip from the town, and then there is Lowe's Food Store, Food Lion.
Our police department is really a great one too, very friendly very helpful, and not overly aggressive as you may find in other small towns, in other words they are not looking to make trouble. After the demise of Sheriff Hewitt, law enforcement has lessened their testosterone levels dramatically.
We have a weekly newspaper State Port Pilot, that can be accessed over the internet, go there for all the news. The Brunswick Beacon, and Wilmington Star News are also good references for newcomers. Albeit, they are to be read with the understanding that they are conservatively slanted and some of the news they print isn't Worth the ink, but hey this is a small town area and people's view tend to reflect this.
Please feel free to direct mail me if I can be of any assistance with your relocation questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina