Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 06:35 PM

438 posts, read 1,360,054 times

Advertisements

Hubby stunned me today and said if I can find a comperable 4 year school or community college with transfer to a bachelor's completion program near the coast we can relocate after all! Not right away, of course, but in a year or so ! He is scheduled to start classes for his AS in computer information systems with a focus in information security in August.

We are still looking at NC OR SC, no definite conclusions on that, but I am leaning heavily toward NC right now due to more job opportunities for me than what I've seen in SC job searches.

At any rate, I will be googling when we get back from softball in a couple hours but would love some first hand information on what schools in Coastal NC would best serve my husband's needs, as well as what the busiest spas and salons would be? We currently homeschool and would continue to do so if needed due to school quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
look into ECU and UNC-W, for community colleges look at Craven Community College, it has programs where you attend their and get a degree from ECU and programs that transfer to NC State after two years. Off the top of my head, I think the latter may only be in some engineering/aviation programs in relation to the Marine Air Base their, but I'm not sure. Coastal Carolina Community College may have similar programs. There are also Community Colleges in the same town as the two coastal 4 yrs (Pitt & Cape Fear community college respectively). They may have degree transfer programs as well. In general credits from community colleges transfer to the 4yrs pretty well, regardless.

Here are links to the colleges and universities I mentioned:
Craven Community College
Coastal Carolina Community College
.: Welcome to PITT COMMUNITY COLLEGE :.
Welcome To Cape Fear Community College
East Carolina University
University of North Carolina Wilmington

Old 06-09-2009, 05:26 AM

148 posts, read 611,290 times
I would pretty much concur with Mac....Craven Community College has a great Computer Science course.....Coastal College in Jacksonville may be a bit larger, and probably offers the same degree...

Old 06-09-2009, 11:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
4-year:
UNCW CAS: Department of Computer Science (http://www.uncwil.edu/csc/ - broken link)
Coastal Carolina - Department of Computer Science
Computer Science at the College of Charleston

2-year:
Cape Fear Community College
Horry-Georgetown Technical College :. Information And Digital Technology (http://www.hgtc.edu/int_y.php?pageid=481 - broken link)
Trident Tech - Academic Programs

As far as reputation goes, CofC & ECU are the most prestigious, over UNCW, and Coastal is last.

Trident and Cape Fear are both very good 2-year schools. HGTC isn't so hot.

ECU isn't coastal in my book, and anything north of Jacksonville I'm not so familiar with.

I wouldn't assume that jobs will be easier to find in coastal NC as opposed to coastal SC. Coastal NC is more rural. They will both be similar, and difficult.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:21 AM

if ecu isn't coastal, i guess the greenville thread needs to be moved

Old 06-09-2009, 11:32 AM

Thank you very much. As I said, we're at least a year out from being able to move due to financial constraints, so I am hoping the economy starts to turn for the better in that time.

There are no jobs here, seriously. I laugh when they report in the newspapers that the state's jobless rates are going back down because in the same paper are reports on more factories shutting down, laying off, regular stores closing or making serious changes in the hours they are open and so forth. Even sending out resumes for everything he's remotely qualified for the instant it hits the paper or the internet has gotten us nowhere. Obviously with people losing their jobs, basic self care items like regular massages are losing their place on the budget for much more vital things like mortgages and food on the table. The point could be made, and has, that this area has been on a downhill slide for years, due to it's long history of dependence on various types of manufacturing as it's employment base. We figure we might as well cut our losses and get out of here for somewhere that has a chance of turning around economically rather than stay here and watch the town die, and lose what little we do have in the process.

Last edited by mkat321; 06-09-2009 at 11:41 AM..

Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
if ecu isn't coastal, i guess the greenville thread needs to be moved
Agreed.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:10 PM

Well heck. I went to the u.transfer site and from what it shows NC colleges only accept transfer credits from other NC colleges/community colleges

Old 06-11-2009, 04:55 PM

I believe those are guaranteed to transfer, other courses might transfer but will have to be approved. decide what school you'd most like to go to then contact a counselor from that school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina