Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 33,325 times

Advertisements

I booked a house on Oak Island for our family vacation this year (July 4-11), have never been before. Would like to know any info about the area. I have heard some good and some bad. Would like to know if there is somewhere to rent a golf cart for a few days or for the week. Also any do's or don'ts would be great. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:47 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,579 times
There is really nothing bad about Oak Island. I lived in Oak Island for 2 years and loved it there. I had two small children. You can rent golf cart, pedal cars, kayaks, scooter, minature golf and movie theatre,parks on the island and off the island...OH OH the Beach is not crowded and beautiful.There is usually a program movie at the park and farmer market. I am not sure what your looking for. Check the chamber of commerce website Southport Oak Island North Carolina Chamber of Commerce

Old 06-16-2009, 11:55 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,016 times
I recommend Russell's for breakfast. It's a tiny place and the line to get in can be long, so get there early.

I also like Frosty's Ice Cream. It's a small place in a small shopping center. We like to sit at the little tables in the back of the store and look at all the stuff they have in there. Some of it is souvenirs, the rest is just display.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:56 PM

Thanks Kareybear and Niki I appreciate the info. Frosty's sounds great! Looking forward to our trip now just 15 days away! I am a Mountaineer looking for the coast!! Thanks again.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:36 PM

720 posts, read 1,708,621 times
Fishing in the evening on the Southport pier, roaming the antique stores, Thai and Mexican food, fabulous shrimp dishes as well as grouper.The art museum is great, and the craft fairs are interesting. Take a sunset boat cruise on the waterway.There's an animal education center on the Island, nice for the kids,fishing of course, miniature golf, funky stores, and of course the beautiful, uncrowded beaches. We took our kids to explore the battleship USS North Carolina and the Fort Fisher site and museum. Also, take the ferry over to see the Aquarium. Guess that's enough? Love it there. Have fun.
Carol in CT

Old 07-14-2009, 12:21 PM

Got back from Oak Island on Sunday, (wish we were still there). I wanted to say Thank You to everyone who gave us ideas of things to do and places to go. We had a wonderful vacation! Very restful and peaceful, and even a little adventurous. I was amazed at how many properties were for sale, and we are seriously contemplating a purchase in the next year for a vacation and eventual retirement home in the area. We absolutely love OKI!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina