Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:54 AM

6 posts, read 28,651 times

Advertisements

Hows the town of southport? Any imput.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 07:23 AM

214 posts, read 822,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaysue09 View Post
Southport is a great little town, quaint, and still attracting new residents and businesses.
The Wilmington Star just mentioned 4 new businesses have recently opened.
New area businesses highlight food, drink, fitness, surfing
By Wayne Faulkner
wayne.faulkner@StarNewsOnline.com

Published: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 9:02 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 9:02 a.m.

If you like a coastal lifestyle, yet close to city life, beaches, golfing and fishing, then it would probably be worth your while to come for a visit.
Our year round temps are very moderate, and we only experience about 3 weeks of winter weather. Folks are pleasant, friendly and welcome newcomers.
If you have specific questions, please let us know, and welcome to the forum.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaysue09 View Post
the town of southport is OK. very small, but quaint. it is however, expensive. it's also pretty far from dining and shopping if that is important to you.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:22 AM

116 posts, read 425,585 times
Southport is a tourist stop when visiting this area like going to Bald Head Island. There is very little to do there, I was very disappointed when I first went there as I had read a lot of hype about the place, the big tree next to the visitors center was the highlight of the visit and eating an ice cream on the swing overlooking the cape fear river was about as exciting as it got. Real estate is pricey too, but they do have a wallyworld on 211 near Oak Island, and the ferry will take you to Kure Beach.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robma44541 View Post
Southport is a tourist stop when visiting this area like going to Bald Head Island. There is very little to do there, I was very disappointed when I first went there as I had read a lot of hype about the place, the big tree next to the visitors center was the highlight of the visit and eating an ice cream on the swing overlooking the cape fear river was about as exciting as it got. Real estate is pricey too, but they do have a wallyworld on 211 near Oak Island, and the ferry will take you to Kure Beach.

agreed. southport is indeed boring.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:45 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
I didn't have any preconceived ideas of the place, and I liked it. I was impressed with the old part of town.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 AM

214 posts, read 822,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I didn't have any preconceived ideas of the place, and I liked it. I was impressed with the old part of town.
I have to agree with rubberfactory. After renting for 6 months in Shallotte, before deciding to buy and relocate to Southport, I gave myself time to investigate the area. Having lived in major metropolitan areas, I needed a town with a small city feel, and I didn't want to live in Wilmington. However, it is only a 30 minute commute to the bridge, if I need to be there.
Southport, the town of, actually has quite a few restaurants to choose from. The Pharmacy, Fishy-Fishy, Live Oak Restaurant, Mr. P's, PJ's, Provisions, Thai Peppers, Tengu, Bella Cucina, and then the various assortment of chinese, mexican and commercial food franchises.
In addition to which, we have Dosher Hospital, and various doctors, dentists, and vet's to choose from.
Should you tire of SPT, take the ferry to Carolina Beach or Bald Head Island for more restaurant options and things to do.
It really is up to the individual to make the determination themselves, and what type of lifestyle they are accustomed to and wish to achieve when relocating to this or any area.
Best of luck to you in your quest. And if you have specific questions, feel feel to address.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I have a second home that I just recently purchased in Southport. It is a quaint and great small town. I love the peace and quiet and the friendliness of the people.

We are about 5 min. from Oak Island so going to the beach is a hop, skip and jump! There is plenty of public parking.

It takes us about 30 min. to get to Wilmington, although coming from Raleigh, I have no desire to go to Wilmington! When we get bored, yes, that does happen from time to time, it takes us about 35 min. to get to Myrtle Beach and there is plenty of shopping there!!!

Vicki

Old 06-15-2009, 09:08 AM

116 posts, read 425,585 times
[quote=VickiR;9293579]I have a second home that I just recently purchased in Southport. It is a quaint and great small town. I love the peace and quiet and the friendliness of the people.

We are about 5 min. from Oak Island so going to the beach is a hop, skip and jump! There is plenty of public parking.

It takes us about 30 min. to get to Wilmington, although coming from Raleigh, I have no desire to go to Wilmington! When we get bored, yes, that does happen from time to time, it takes us about 35 min. to get to Myrtle Beach and there is plenty of shopping there!!!

Vicki
Have you ever driven to Myrtle Beach from Southport? I used to live in Shallotte and it took me 30 minutes to drive to Southport from there. It is about 59 miles to Myrtle Beach from Southport, the speed limit in NC is 55, how fast do you drive to get there in 35 minutes, not counting all the traffic lights?

Old 06-15-2009, 02:47 PM

[quote=robma44541;9301086]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I have a second home that I just recently purchased in Southport. It is a quaint and great small town. I love the peace and quiet and the friendliness of the people.

Vicki
Have you ever driven to Myrtle Beach from Southport? I used to live in Shallotte and it took me 30 minutes to drive to Southport from there. It is about 59 miles to Myrtle Beach from Southport, the speed limit in NC is 55, how fast do you drive to get there in 35 minutes, not counting all the traffic lights?

lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina